Idea for product: Akai AX60 2nd Oscillator accessory

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Idea for product: Akai AX60 2nd Oscillator accessory

Postby themilford » Thu May 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Ok, so… I had an idea for a very specific product for us Akai AX60 lovers out there…

I always felt the biggest shortcoming of this synth was the lack of a sub-oscillator or a voice "stack" mode. Well, with the Akai samplers you could always add a second "voice" albeit a sampled one… but then you are lugging around and maintaing an antiquated and clunky piece of kit… but what if you had a simple midi-controlled oscillator that simply plugged into the 6-voice input to gain a second oscillator-per-voice? A stompbox-sized box to sit right on tip the AX that just plugged in (like the Roland programmers but way smaller) and gave you a second set of waveforms with tuning, octave… maybe a few other bells and whistles… DCOs would be super simple to do and keep the box affordable and small.

I think it would make the AX60 a more viable and exciting instrument. I know for me if I had this I may have held onto mine longer.

I think my company Tronographic could do this and sell it for a reasonable price (under $150?).

Would you AX60 owners get in line for something like this? What features would you like to see it have?
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Advertisement:

Re: Idea for product: Akai AX60 2nd Oscillator accessory

Postby Z » Thu May 22, 2014 10:21 pm

I'd like to see a MIDI syncable LFO added in the same vein as the Kiwi kits.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Alex E » Thu May 22, 2014 10:50 pm

That would be terrific, actually. Cool idea!
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby SeventhStar » Thu May 22, 2014 11:24 pm

themilford wrote:Ok, so… I had an idea for a very specific product for us Akai AX60 lovers out there…

I always felt the biggest shortcoming of this synth was the lack of a sub-oscillator or a voice "stack" mode. what if you had a simple midi-controlled oscillator that simply plugged into the 6-voice input to gain a second oscillator-per-voice? A stompbox-sized box to sit right on tip the AX that just plugged in (like the Roland programmers but way smaller) and gave you a second set of waveforms with tuning, octave… maybe a few other bells and whistles… DCOs would be super simple to do and keep the box affordable and small.

I assume the lack of a "stack" mode, you are referring to, is the stack mode present on the Six-Trak and Multi-Trak, which use the same CEM3394 chips as the AX60.

The AX60 has 6 individual voice inputs? Or is this a single input, that would add the same oscillator settings to all six voices at once. Would your "stompbox" have 6 DCOs in it? I'm not very familiar with the AX60, so I don't know how the voice input works on it. It would be interesting if this box also worked on the Multi-Trak, but it has no voice inputs, only 6 individual voice outputs. Therefore, your box probably would not work at all with it.

Looks like the AX60 has a keyboard split mode, and is therefore bi-timbral, but cannot play a different program on each voice, like the Six-Trak and Multi-Trak can. I see they both have the 6 voice unison mode, though.
SeventhStar

Gear: Sequential MULTI-TRAK, DARK STAR, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri May 23, 2014 1:19 am

Isn't it some weird proprietary cable to connect it? Don't have an Ax60, but I like your idea.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri May 23, 2014 4:19 am

themilford wrote:DCOs would be super simple to do and keep the box affordable and small.

Would be way cooler to make it a wavetable module, and probably cheaper to do than DCOs. The AX60 already has VCOs, adding some vanilla DCOs wouldn't make it that special. But six wavetable oscs, nice and trashy sounding and with a software envelope, LFO and sync built in and you'd really be onto a winner.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby GuyaGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 4:54 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
themilford wrote:DCOs would be super simple to do and keep the box affordable and small.

Would be way cooler to make it a wavetable module, and probably cheaper to do than DCOs. The AX60 already has VCOs, adding some vanilla DCOs wouldn't make it that special. But six wavetable oscs, nice and trashy sounding and with a software envelope, LFO and sync built in and you'd really be onto a winner.

That was my initial thought too. And the table could include vanilla pw/square/triangle/saw waves for those who just want standard analog-syle waveforms.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby themilford » Fri May 23, 2014 6:23 pm

I thought about wavetables as well… but having the option for simple waves would be a must; for me anyway.
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat May 24, 2014 3:02 am

I don't know of any wavetable synths that don't have basic sine, square, saw triangle waves. There's no reason why you wouldn't put them in there.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Return to General Synthesizers