Synton Syrinx #1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Synton Syrinx #1

Postby gridsleep » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:53 am

If you are in the mood to see something very rare, head on over to eBay. Synton Syrinx serial number 1 is on sale. It's purple. This should be in the Louvre.
"Why is there a synthesizer in the bathtub?" "I ran out of rack space."
gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: das Vorlagengehirn;
synths: 65 hardware, 537 software;
Anything with a unique sound;
Support hardware, 10 DAWs;
Over a mile of audio and MIDI cable
Band: gridsleep

Advertisement:

Re: Synton Syrinx #1

Postby SeventhStar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:35 am

So, Jupiter-8 price territory, for an obscure 80's monosynth.

I watched a couple videos of it in action, and the demonstrated weird sounds made me think of my $200 Dark Star.. Granted, a fully analog version of my Dark Star, with a keyboard. Still not something I would be willing to pay $8500 for, if I had that much lying around to blow on a synth.

If anyone buys this, I suppose it'll probably just be a synth collector, that has to have it simply because it's rare.

The Syrinx's dark pad is kind of like the Dark Star's joystick. Both have two LFOs, two Oscillators, two ADSR envelopes, and a filter.

There could be a weird sound shootout video contest, between this $8500 Syrinx and the $200 Dark Star. To see if the Syrinx sounds are indeed 42.5X better and cooler than the Dark Star.. And let the viewer of the video guess which sounds came from which synth, before revealing that information in a second video. It would be pretty funny if someone guessed wrong on one of the sounds! Because if Syrinx is 42.5X times better, how could you possibly guess wrong??

That's it! This is the Ultimate Epic Synth Battle video idea! Both synths are recorded at the same facility, using the exact same recording equipment. With the operator of each synth taking a selfie at the end of their performance, to display at the end of the contest!
Last edited by SeventhStar on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeventhStar

Gear: Sequential MULTI-TRAK, DARK STAR, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Postby Alex E » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:42 am

He's been trying to sell it locally on CL for $7000 for like a year. Not gunna happen.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby madtheory » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:47 am

M8 its 8eez an its analouge do u even produce?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:59 pm

I fondly remember the days when there were lots of them in stock at Sensomania in Amsterdam, priced at 750 Guilders each. They wouldn´t sell even if you were paid 750 Guilders.

Those were the days...

Honestly, the Syrinx could make me part with my RMI Harmonic Synthesizer but how on earth did they manage to damage the sheet-metal enclosure *that* severely -- and call it "near mint shape" at that? I once had a similar damage to a PPG 360 but only because it was run over by a truck... and that was heavy-gauge sheet-metal (almost bullet-proof).

8,500 US$ seems pretty steep. Thighpaulsandra has got Sleazy´s Syrinx, and although he admitted it´s a nice monosynth, it´s probaly not nicer than a 1,000 Pound.

Does the DarkStar also have a resonator? I can´t remember anymore...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Bitexion » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:30 pm

I really don't get this obscene fascination with old 1 or 2 VCO monosynths. No matter how rare it is, it still makes the same sounds every other monosynth makes.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Bitexion wrote:I really don't get this obscene fascination with old 1 or 2 VCO monosynths. No matter how rare it is, it still makes the same sounds every other monosynth makes.

I agree in general, but Syrinx does have an unusual filter topology...not worth $8K to me, though :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby SeventhStar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:53 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Does the DarkStar also have a resonator? I can´t remember anymore...

Stephen

I assume by, resonator, you're probably talking about a band-pass filter?

The Dark Star has a 12db/octave filter, with three different type settings for low-pass, band-pass and hi-pass. The resonance, of which, can be modulated by either one of the two ADSR envelopes, or either one of the two LFOs. The filter envelope can be modulated by either one of the two LFOs. So I believe the answer to your question is yes.

Syrinx has one low-pass 24db/octave filter and two band-pass filters. Dark Star doesn't have the sub oscillator, FM, or a triangle waveform shape in its oscillators, like the Syrinx has. Both have ring modulation and portamento. Dark Star has a lot more available wave shapes to choose from for the LFOs.

That's why I think it would be an interesting contest to see which could score the highest marks in aural weirdness, since the apparent value of these two synths are in opposite ends of the spectrum.. Dark Star is much less expensive if you want "unusual filter topology".

If the Dark Star had actual analog chips in it, instead of being VA, it would probably cost a lot more than it does.. Especially being that it's 8-voice Poly and 5-part multi-timbral, versus the more mundane monophonic Syrinx.
SeventhStar

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:04 pm

The most idiosyncratic sounds of the Syrinx are produced by running signals into the resonator *and* the low-pass filter simultaneously, either in serial or in parallel mode. That makes for a huge difference and that´s a lot more than just having either an LPF or an HPF or a bandpass/notch filter at a time -- it yields totally different results. The vowel-type sounds are what makes the Syrinx stand out, and some of its sounds are all but standard monosynth sounds (although the demo above possibly showcases how not to present a Syrinx). Not sure these non-standard sounds are worth two panels of Serge, though.

On the downside, it´s Curtis-based like a Pro-One, and I think it´s not to far-fetched to say the Syrinx is a bit like a Pro-One with an elaborate additional filter box (think Sherman) and an unusual performance controller.

Some fifteen years ago, I was negotiating with a guy who wanted my Synth Hi-Fli -- he had a Syrinx but he refused to trade it for the EMS. A couple of weeks later, though, he called me up and asked whether I wanted to buy his Syrinx. He admitted the Syrinx was a bit limited, and my Pro-One/Sherman Filter Bank comparison wasn´t that far off the mark...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby SeventhStar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:25 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:The most idiosyncratic sounds of the Syrinx are produced by running signals into the resonator *and* the low-pass filter simultaneously, either in serial or in parallel mode. That makes for a huge difference and that´s a lot more than just having either an LPF or an HPF or a bandpass/notch filter at a time -- it yields totally different results.

The Dark Star can't run through the different filter types simultaneously. So that is another difference I wasn't aware of. Yeah, I don't think that difference is worth thousands of dollars more either..

Using the multi-timbality of Dark Star, however, I think you could layer different parts using different combinations of filter types. Have part one low-pass, part two band-pass, part three hi-pass. That might be like the parallel mode in the Syrinx.. With each of the parts, combined, having a cumulative total of 8-voices (can't do that on the Syrinx).
SeventhStar

Postby Nannerfan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:55 am

If I hear the words Dark Star again I'm gonna scream
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Postby pelican » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:18 am

SeventhStar wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:The most idiosyncratic sounds of the Syrinx are produced by running signals into the resonator *and* the low-pass filter simultaneously, either in serial or in parallel mode. That makes for a huge difference and that´s a lot more than just having either an LPF or an HPF or a bandpass/notch filter at a time -- it yields totally different results.

The Dark Star can't run through the different filter types simultaneously. So that is another difference I wasn't aware of. Yeah, I don't think that difference is worth thousands of dollars more either..

Using the multi-timbality of Dark Star, however, I think you could layer different parts using different combinations of filter types. Have part one low-pass, part two band-pass, part three hi-pass. That might be like the parallel mode in the Syrinx.. With each of the parts, combined, having a cumulative total of 8-voices (can't do that on the Syrinx).

Blah, blah, blah if you don't agree with the price don't buy one. Sure it's a little overpriced like most vintage synths, but It's rare and unique. Deal with it
pelican

Postby SeventhStar » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:09 am

pelican wrote:Blah, blah, blah if you don't agree with the price don't buy one. Sure it's a little overpriced like most vintage synths, but It's rare and unique. Deal with it

The demo video reminded me of my synth. I answered a question that was asked about it and attempted to discussed the potential of doing something similar (for a lot less money, with a bit of humor mixed in), to what the Syrinx is capable of. The dude can ask $85,000 for it if he wants. And I'd be able to deal with it. But you are right, I just wouldn't by it.

Nannerfan wrote:If I hear the words Dark Star again I'm gonna scream

In VSE space, no one can hear you scream...

One day, I aspire to own a synth that's as cool as the ones in your gear list. Until then, I might make mention now and then, of the ones I own. Sorry if that upsets you.. :)

Ironically, the OP is a Dark Star fan, who, in the past, has called it a "superb synthesizer". Shocking! I know...
SeventhStar

Postby Bitexion » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Obviously nobody else is gonna buy it either, since it's been listed at $7000 previously with no bids.

But the seller is of course welcome to put any wild prize he wants on it. Doesn't mean someone will buy it.
I bet 99% of those 964 views are from this forum thread alone.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby ninja6485 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Bitexion wrote:Obviously nobody else is gonna buy it either, since it's been listed at $7000 previously with no bids.

But the seller is of course welcome to put any wild prize he wants on it. Doesn't mean someone will buy it.
I bet 99% of those 964 views are from this forum thread alone.
The one thing it has going for it is that the group of potential buyers is vastly expanded via E bay, but I'm not sure that's going to make enough of a difference to ask $1500 over the price it didn't sell for locally. What do folks think is a reasonable price for it, just out of curiosity?

SeventhStar wrote:The demo video reminded me of my synth. I answered a question that was asked about it and attempted to discussed the potential of doing something similar (for a lot less money, with a bit of humor mixed in)
It sounded to me like you were trying to pretend like you don't understand why anyone would care about the fact that something up for sale is unique/ collectible, and that that could in any way impact its value; and at the same time rationalize the idea that a piece of gear you personally own is just as good, and would be a better purchase all around. (Bonus points if people start arguing like in "Selfie synth," right? ;) )
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Next

Return to General Synthesizers