Roland Aira System 1--SonicState review vid

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Roland Aira System 1--SonicState review vid

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:04 am

So basically, its a $100 softsynth with a $400 hardware key?
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Advertisement:

Postby Re-Member » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:11 pm

Ashe37 wrote:So basically, its a $100 softsynth with a $400 hardware key?

A softsynth is really no different than any other hardware virtual analog or rompler synthesizer since all three are just running a program from computer chips and/or accessing rom data to generate its sound.
Re-Member

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:14 am

Re-Member wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:So basically, its a $100 softsynth with a $400 hardware key?

A softsynth is really no different than any other hardware virtual analog or rompler synthesizer since all three are just running a program from computer chips and/or accessing rom data to generate its sound.

Yes, I am quite aware of that. My point is, the plugin can run *without* the System 1... i.e. run on your PC.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby Dr. Phibes » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:57 am

Actually, I think it looks like a pretty nifty little synth: portable and undemanding, supplies all the essential sounds but does offer room for experimentation. The limited HPF is a little odd though; on old rolands you forgive it for being a bit of an afterthought since an additional active filter it would have required more circuitry but on a digital machine? Yeah okay there's less room for controls but they could have had a button that switched the generic filter controls between each type, or something.
Dr. Phibes

Postby griffin avid » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:17 am

My early complaint seems to be around NOT being able to hold several plugs at once.
I'd like to see a way of switching, on the unit, that facilitates or better yet hints at switching engines often as there will be many to choose from during the course of studio production.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Hugo76 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:40 am

griffin avid wrote:My early complaint seems to be around NOT being able to hold several plugs at once.
I'd like to see a way of switching, on the unit, that facilitates or better yet hints at switching engines often as there will be many to choose from during the course of studio production.

+1. Also, the 8 patch limitation is just crazy. With the plugout you can have a maximum of 16 patches onboard. This could be a dealbreaker for many potential users.

Overall, I like it. It will be good to have a keyboard without velocity, I find it useful in some scenarios.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:40 pm

So this synth is supposedly programmed with the same "circuit modeling" tech as the Tr8, right? This isn't a rehash of a previous Roland VA engine?
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
Bs2|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:So this synth is supposedly programmed with the same "circuit modeling" tech as the Tr8, right? This isn't a rehash of a previous Roland VA engine?

No, its supposedly a new one.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby Zamise » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:35 pm

So I hear they are being released in seven more days to US stores, probably a week later might be able to get your hands on one at your local GC. I'm hoping they'll have one on display for me to check out. I just got me the tb-3 and it sounds pretty wonderful, I was only wishing it had some more features in the sound engine like an LFO or two and more control over the envelopes like a decent synth should, which will hopefully be coming on, for some reason it stuck with me and I like just calling it, the Plug Out. It is pretty, going to sound pretty too. One thing I think will be a big dif, and folks here have already touched on it, it is just going to be software, it won't have old staticy pots and sliders and a faint buzz and crackles when moved around like the real things so screw having just another interface, why not just play it by clicking and draging my mouse around or punching a few buttons or sliding my ugly ass fingers aross an ugly ass flickering and all lit up like disco control pad of some sort? </rhetorical>
Last edited by Zamise on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby sol-bass-rec » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:34 am

Went ahead and completed the Aira line over the weekend. Looking forward to this Free SH-101 at the end of July.

For a 1 voice virtual hybrid controller I was getting a lot of noise. Very touchy pans. Aside from "a lot of noise" I also was hearing some really sick sounds. Perfect Horror blood bath sounds... I only wish someone would pay me to play all this gear.

"Music is the drug"
sol-bass-rec

Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Postby sol-bass-rec » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:40 am

Zamise wrote: I just got me the tr-3 and it sounds pretty wonderful, I was only wishing it had some more features in the sound engine like an LFO or two and more control over the envelopes like a decent synth should,

If you are talking about the 3, I totally agree
it won't have old staticy pots and sliders and a faint buzz and crackles

NOT TRUE about the System 1, read my post above, last post previous page...

so screw having just another interface, why not just play it by clicking and draging my mouse around or punching a few buttons or sliding my ugly ass fingers aross an ugly ass flickering and all lit up like disco control pad of some sort? </rhetorical>

Because girls wanna imagine if you can do it to an instrument, than....
"Music is the drug"
sol-bass-rec

Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Postby Zamise » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:53 am

fixed yeah I meant the tb-3, I think I was thinking about the tr-8 too much almost got that instead, but I think I'll sleep on for bit on it. I really like the sequenced ducking feature on that, not sure anything else has that built in to it like that? You saying the Plug Out has bad pots and slider emulation too :? really ???

Nice rig sol-bass-rec. The only thing really missing out of all a full AIRA rig would be some sort of sampler, wouldn't have to be anything large a few mins of samples would due.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby madmarkmagee » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:45 am

sol-bass-rec wrote:
For a 1 voice virtual hybrid controller I was getting a lot of noise. Very touchy pans. Aside from "a lot of noise"

You mean like a lot of ugly noise that ain't meant to be there? Are you sure its not just a feedback loop? Perhaps there is something wrong with your unit?

That doesn't sound too good :?

If anyone else experiences this post here?
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby Re-Member » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Ashe37 wrote:My point is, the plugin can run *without* the System 1... i.e. run on your PC.

Yes, but the plugin doesn't have all the features as the System-1's main sound engine, which as of now, can only be accessed from the hardware itself. Also, I recall reading that the plugins won't be for sale individually, they are essentially like an "expansion pack" that you get with an access code from buying the actual hardware.
Re-Member

Postby _seph » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:55 am

well, I've had the System-1 for more than a week now and I must say that I am very impressed.

to clear a few things up. the System-1 itself is a standalone hardware synth. the SH-101 Plug-Out releases on the 25th and it is a VST/AU plug-in like any other except that it can be exported to the S1 and used away from the computer. this first Plug-Out is free and only available to S1 owners. there are presently other Plug-Outs in development, a SH-2 and ProMars have previously been mentioned. the System-1 itself sounds nothing like a SH-101 or any previous Roland VA and it is not a dongle.

having spent a lot of time with it this past week I think that Roland have done an incredible job of reimagining the classic monosynth. this is the first VA i've owned where analog vs digital is completely irrelevant and it seems a good sign for things to come. so far my only complaints are that I'd prefer something other than a momentary on-off modulation button and the four-voice limit is a pity as its great at pads (but I expect we'll eventually see a larger polysynth version). otherwise I don't mind the limited memory, the pitch wheel and shallow keybed are surprisingly effective and the build quality is identical to the TR-8, which is to say that it is very good.

as for Nick's review... I have no idea why he keeps claiming that it is paraphonic. perhaps he's confusing its four voices with the Mono/Poly. also, it does have course tuning and I'm not sure what else he got wrong but having watched the most recent broadcast I'm just left shaking my head at how little he seems to know. however he does appear to be right in that the LFO will not presently fully sweep the filter. also, although the keyboard doesn't have velocity or aftertouch the synth will respond to both.

all in all I think that the System-1 is a great synth, especially for the price. for me it is definitely a keeper and I consider a much better purchase than any of these recent DCO synths. the sound and user interface are both exceptional and it's very cool that you can switch sound engines at the touch of a button. so far I feel that Roland is on point with this Aira series and I'm eager to see what comes next. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum.

Zamise wrote:The only thing really missing out of all a full AIRA rig would be some sort of sampler, wouldn't have to be anything large a few mins of samples would due.

aside from a "System-2" polysynth based on a modern JD-800 which runs Jupiter/JX/Juno Plug-Outs, a sampler is what I really hope to see next. ideally they'll do a "SP-8" which would be a modernized SP-808, so a multitrack phrase sampler with VariPhrase. essentially something like Elektron's Octatrack and perhaps hitting a $799 (or less) price point.
_seph

Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers