Roland Aira System 1--SonicState review vid

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Roland Aira System 1--SonicState review vid

Postby sol-bass-rec » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:18 am

Buddy came by last night and we were shredding some nastiness on the system 1. He can be a little hard to keep up with. We were flipping through patches about every 30-60 seconds. The system 1 and BS2 got the most love. System 1 doesn't have nearly as many patches but was a lot of fun to play. Can't wait to plug in and out here soon.
"Music is the drug"
sol-bass-rec

Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Advertisement:

Postby _seph » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:21 am

Ashe37 wrote:
_seph wrote:well, I've had the System-1 for more than a week now and I must say that I am very impressed.

to clear a few things up. the System-1 itself is a standalone hardware synth. the SH-101 Plug-Out releases on the 25th and it is a VST/AU plug-in like any other except that it can be exported to the S1 and used away from the computer. this first Plug-Out is free and only available to S1 owners. there are presently other Plug-Outs in development, a SH-2 and ProMars have previously been mentioned. the System-1 itself sounds nothing like a SH-101 or any previous Roland VA and it is not a dongle.

Will the plug-out work without a System 1 attached to the machine?

If not, it is acting like a dongle.

Yes, the plug-outs will work with or without the System-1 connected.
_seph

Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Postby Bitexion » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Kind of an odd decision really, seeing that most of the other companies who have VST plugins for their hardware synths require you to have the hardware to make any sound. Like the Virus TI or Creamware Minimax.

But I guess those plugins are just empty shells with no software engine to recreate the sound of the hardware. Just a pretty looking MIDI map.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:16 pm

_seph wrote:as for Nick's review... it does have course tuning and I'm not sure what else he got wrong but having watched the most recent broadcast I'm just left shaking my head at how little he seems to know

Yeah, the paraphonic thing was kind of silly. Although the visuals have improved over the years, SonicState vids pretty low-tech production values. In the Trigger Finger Pro video you can see him switching cameras in real time with some sort of foot pedal rather than just editing it later. I miss the days of Shorn Rah ;)

I got the impression Nick might not have gotten a manual with his unit. There was a subtitle scrolling by that indicated coarse tuning required a typical Roland multiple button press and it's not actually marked on the panel, is it?

He mentioned he wasn't going deep because he wanted to get the 101 plugout first. Gee, _seph maybe you could beat him to the punch with your own video :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby _seph » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:33 am

Bitexion wrote:Kind of an odd decision really, seeing that most of the other companies who have VST plugins for their hardware synths require you to have the hardware to make any sound. Like the Virus TI or Creamware Minimax.

But I guess those plugins are just empty shells with no software engine to recreate the sound of the hardware. Just a pretty looking MIDI map.

that's just it, it isn't a VST plug-in for a hardware synth. there is no VST plug-in of the System-1.

Roland is getting into the VST/AU market with these "plug-outs" and the first is a modeled SH-101 which is exclusive to System-1 owners.

the System-1 itself has nothing to do with the SH-101. it simply has the ability to load and retain a single "plug-out" instrument; switching between its native engine and the plug-out at the touch of a button. the virtual SH-101 is the first, but more are to follow.

I wish that Roland would have followed Access and done a VST interface for the System-1 itself (and the rest of the Aira series) because each having its own non-class compliant USB driver is a major missed opportunity and its a pity that they didn't at least implement the VS Streaming driver of their Capture series interfaces which allow more than one unit to work in tandem. but at least I'm on MacOS where I can create an aggregate driver if needed.
_seph

Postby Cerebral Infect » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:52 am

I think it is an other missed opportunity from Roland. The only company that thrived on making profits on selling plugins for a DSP platform is Univeral Audio with the UAD. Creamware are gone and TC Electronic abandoned it's platform.

Imagine a well laid out control surface, with or without a keyboard, with SHARC dsp's and room for expansion and a webstore were you can buy the Roland/Boss Plugins you want. All connected by a Firewire 800 or USB3 port (32in / 32out audio channels). Heck, just let UA do the modelling of the synth, I would trust them more than Roland for that.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, Future Retro XS, KP-3, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Juno 106, S90ES, Er-1, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee. Dr-110 and 2 lava lamps
Cerebral Infect

Postby _seph » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:46 am

Cerebral Infect wrote:Imagine a well laid out control surface, with or without a keyboard, with SHARC dsp's and room for expansion and a webstore were you can buy the Roland/Boss Plugins you want. All connected by a Firewire 800 or USB3 port (32in / 32out audio channels). Heck, just let UA do the modelling of the synth, I would trust them more than Roland for that.

we've yet to see what this will become, but you've essentially described what it seems like they're doing. except they're doing it better as these "plug-outs" won't leave you chained to the computer.

this is just the start of the Aira series. if they can keep this going we're likely to see very closely modeled reissues of their classics while they continue to push forward. I haven't forgotten the VariOS and I'm also a jilted original Nord Modular owner so believe me when I say that I understand how these things usually play out, but if done well Roland could create something of an App Store "plug-out" ecosystem based around these Aira machines and going on the quality of the current devices and what I've heard of the 101 emulation, I am pulling my cynicism back and raising my expectations.
_seph

Postby sol-bass-rec » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:04 am

I like the Plug Out concept. Could be the future, not like the past/present midi controllers.

Now if they think big like an Octatrack sampler... just wish there were more routing options through the whole system.

I hope they pack more gear in before end of the year. SH-09 or any SH would be great, poly synths would be the icing. ..
"Music is the drug"
sol-bass-rec

Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Postby sol-bass-rec » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:38 am

Btw...been spotting this in a few promo videos from Miami and Detroit

Pic
"Music is the drug"
sol-bass-rec

Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Postby mute » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:05 am

that's the sync box they havent decided they're releasing or not.. there are videos of them showing it at musikmesse

mute

Postby Bitexion » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:34 pm

But there are already keyboards and rack modules that can load VST plugins directly, and they're not limited to only Roland "plug-outs".
So I don't really see how that is "the future".

Native Instruments has a hardware unit where you can load loads of VST plugins and play directly with a MIDI keyboard without dragging a laptop and soundcard on stage. Ofc you can't tweak them on the fly, but there's still the presets and the on-board knobs.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby sol-bass-rec » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Bitexion wrote:But there are already keyboards and rack modules that can load VST plugins directly, and they're not limited to only Roland "plug-outs".
So I don't really see how that is "the future".

Native Instruments has a hardware unit where you can load loads of VST plugins and play directly with a MIDI keyboard without dragging a laptop and soundcard on stage. Ofc you can't tweak them on the fly, but there's still the presets and the on-board knobs.

I wish Maschine was that way. Maybe MKIII
What hardware unit is that and does it only work with Komplete vsts only?
"Music is the drug"
sol-bass-rec

Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Postby Bitexion » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:47 pm

It wasn't NI, it's the Muse Receptor I was thinking of.

http://www.museresearch.com/products/

Jordan Rudess uses it with Dream Theater live he said.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby sol-bass-rec » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Bitexion wrote:It wasn't NI, it's the Muse Receptor I was thinking of.

http://www.museresearch.com/products/

Jordan Rudess uses it with Dream Theater live he said.

Got ya and yeah I see what you mean on a deeper controller level.

Still, just like the System 1, the same can be said about Arturia V and Beatstep too.
"Music is the drug"
sol-bass-rec

Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Postby Bitexion » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 pm

I can imagine the calamity when they release the inevitable Jupiter-8 plug-out :D IT DOESNT SOUND ANALOG OMGLULZWTFBBQ
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers