Casio CZ-1 Low Volume

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Casio CZ-1 Low Volume

Postby effizyens » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Hello there everybody!

Yesterday I finally got my CZ-1.
The problem I have is, that if I play in Normal-, Tone Mix- or Key Split mode
the volume is very low. Even when the Mastervolume fader
and the volume of the two oszcillators are turned up to the fullest the volume still very low.

If I play the synth with operation memory the volume is strong and loud, but I can't edit
the sound in its details like enveloping and so on... Also modulation is not possible in this mode,
or is there any possibility to edit the sound in this mode?

Would be great to get an answer from you guys.
Didn't find anything for this topic in this forum. Maybe you have any ideas how to fix this problem.
Best Regards
effizyens

Re: Casio CZ-1 Low Volume

Postby skippyskippy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:10 am

Perhaps the velocity sensitivity is turned up too high? If you hit the velocity button on the right side of the keyboard, you can turn down the setting for "amp" to make it so you don't have to strike a key very fast in order to get a loud sound.
skippyskippy

Re: Casio CZ-1 Low Volume

Postby madtheory » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Can't be velocity, because that is at the Patch level, so also affects Operation Memories.

Back up the patches via sysex to your computer (go to save/load and page up to MIDI) and do a full reset (power off, hold Initialise, power on, read display, press yes when asked). If that doesn't work, it's electronics time. First step- replace internal backup battery. Next step- diagnose output circuitry from service manual. This requires 'scope.

PS if they're the factory patches, there's no need to back those up. They get loaded when you initialise, IIRC.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Return to General Synthesizers