SMPTE/MTC to Midi Clock

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: SMPTE/MTC to Midi Clock

Postby Solderman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:09 pm

madtheory wrote:So you're using the PPS100Q software to program your tempo maps? And what are you using for VST?

No need. The tempo maps are just for tempo changes after cue start. I did not realize this initially, which is why I msg'd you earlier about it. I just have to set up a Cue Start from the front panel, and if M. Clock is ON, the tempo map for it is part of the Cue Start configuration. Only problem is, I can't seem to edit an existing Cue Start once I exit it, only create new ones until I do a Clear ALL. It's a primitive device. Dunno how useful it's gonna be.

VST is just the internal sync of the DAW.

nathanscribe wrote:Another problem is the even if you manage to generate a rock-solid and jitter-free clock source, each device that receives it will respond differently.

Yep, thought of this while using the PPS yesterday. I've run an Access Virus b and TB303 together with vst plugins, and they all locked. The Virus would glitch its sync once out of every 15 or so starts. I still haven't tested my ESQ-1 and MPC1000.

Here is a sample of syncing a vst plugin, with TR909 drums, to the Virus b's arpeggiator and delay:

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b

Advertisement:

Postby pflosi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Sounds solid, as if it was one machine - how it should be :thumbright:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby madtheory » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Ya, groovy, very tight. You might like this, it's about the Chemical Brothers live rig:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec11/a ... m-bros.htm
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Jay200MPH » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 am

I don't know if this does what you want, but it looks like it should? Certainly has a lot of sync options. On E bay for $10 right now ($40 BIN).

MOTU MTP/AV

Might be worth checking out as an alternative.
Jay200MPH

Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Postby Solderman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 am

I believe the Timepiece AV is for LTC to MTC(or the reverse) conversions. Adat sync also, but my original post was converting LTC to Midi Clocks, where tempo information must be generated from basic time code.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b

Previous

Return to Sound Production