Synth and pedal issue

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Synth and pedal issue

Postby Jabzzz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 pm

I have two pedals that I want to use with my synths - a pigtronic bass fat pedal and a lovetone meatball. When I plug the synth output into the pigtronic it works fine, but when I plug into the meatball I get a signal so low that you can barely hear it, no matter how much I try to boost it.

Do I need a preamp or DI box to go between the synth and meatball pedal for it to work? I am at my wits end. The meatball has been recently serviced so is in perfect condition, so the only thing I can think of is that it needs the signal boosting going into it.

Is that the case? Please help, and thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Jabzzz

Re: Synth and pedal issue

Postby Solderman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Is the pedal connected directly to a mixer? If so, it sounds like it's the output of the pedal that is quiet. A line level signal from a mixer or synth would be much higher in db strength than instrument level and would need to be attenuated at the effect device's input. Generally I use a passive DI box on the effect device's output, with the XLR end going back to the mixer's balanced(aka. differential pair) input, which has a microphone preamp(which should be prefader). Works for me, but I could be doing it wrong, I suppose.

The purpose of the DI is to convert an unbalanced, high-impedance signal into a balanced, low-impedance signal, mostly for instruments like electric guitar/bass to convert them to a microphone output. I would guess that a wah filter would be placed before an amp, so the pedal would be close to instrument level output for guitar effect purposes if it had no gain adjustments. I know some will place the wah after a distortion effect, but this would still be before the amp.

How does it behave in bypass mode or from the effects loop out?

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: KARP Oddy, SEM Pro, SH-101(mod), Kraftzwerg I w/MF101, CS-15(mod), µBrute, TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno 1, Поливокс(mod), Virus b

Postby DocDeF4U17 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 am

the only pedals that are worth using with a keyboard are: reverb, delay, boost, gain and maybe a good mod like octave
If you make good music outside, animals will visit
DocDeF4U17

Gear: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-250 with missing legs, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg ElectribER-1

Postby Solderman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but mine is that there is bound to be a multitude of stomp box effects you could insert and get good results. Phasers, filters, Chorus, Flanger, EQ, compressors, loopers, noise gates, ringmod, sustain, resonator...I once had a BBE Acoustic Sonic Stomp permanently inserted in my Moog Voyager effects loop because it made the oscillator mix sound much brighter, resolving one of my biggest complaints with that synth. Nothing wrong with trying out an auto-wah or the ten kajillion varieties of distortion available from pedals. Even if all you want is to color the sound and remove some harshness.(or add some!) It's fun to experiment and I've always found at least a few useful applications of the above.

Flanger pedals in particular seem useful for single-oscillator synths to simulate two identical waveform oscillators tightly tuned together, in a way more interesting than a pitch-shifter, although chorus pedals generally less so for simulating wider tuning differences.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: KARP Oddy, SEM Pro, SH-101(mod), Kraftzwerg I w/MF101, CS-15(mod), µBrute, TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno 1, Поливокс(mod), Virus b

Postby DocDeF4U17 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 pm

The only pedal im using right now with my keyboard is a one channel Looper
If you make good music outside, animals will visit
DocDeF4U17

Gear: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-250 with missing legs, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg ElectribER-1

Return to Sound Production