Name ONE favorite pedal (+more)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Postby shaft9000 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:05 pm

DUNLOP CRYBABY 535-Q

variable Q, frequency range, volume, and a pre-boost makes this the best CryBaby I've used yet. I've had 3 other CryBaby's, a Morley & a Vox and this wah imho is by far the best of them.
Makes for a wonderful dirty band-pass filter for your funky-sweepy needs. Fasel inductor helps to capture the sploogy 70's vibe, with more range this time around.
Made in Benicia, California....right across the water from where I grew up.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Advertisement:

Postby haricots » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:22 pm

I'll second the EHX Small Stone - great, simple phaser. Not a subtle effect.

I like my Maxon AD999. Not many people here use this pedal. 900ms of BBD delay. And bright PINK! It has a very mushy character to it. Smooth.

I still want to get my hands on a Deluxe Memory Man and/or a Diamond Memory Lane. I had a Stereo Memory man that I regret selling so quickly. You can never have enough analog delays (I have a Yamaha E1010 rack as well).
haricots

Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Postby Megatron » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:22 pm

I use my Frostwave Resonator on everything.
Megatron

Postby Suburban Bather » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:43 pm

hageir wrote:
filtermod wrote:I'll have to go with my electro harmonix deluxe memory man

doesn't it have the Panasonic MN3005?
the same as the dm-2 and the ad-9?
what is so great about them? :)
I've read that it's lush, smooth and silky and creamy.. and not so harsh as a digital delay.

Yes, the DMM uses NOS Japanese BBD chips. I'm not shure if they are Panasonic, but they have a very pristine sound to them, only dirty when you want it be. What makes the DMM so good is how versatile it is. You can dirty up the sound by cranking the drive knob, you can mix in chorus or vibrato(seems more like a faster chorus) into the signal, and when you want a good dense wash of feedback it never gets overly harsh. The DMM is one of the best pedals to assign to a send channel on a mixing board handsdown.
[quote="JUGEL"]I'm really digging on this

Cool! I just got the Nova Reverb, bye, bye crappy CPU hogging DAW reverbs

This is working out real good as a FSU unit for drum tracks.

Badass dirtbox, goes from subtle overdrive to freakout fuzz. Sounds good on any signal.

This coupled with pretty much any other FX is, well.....machine like

Finally, I do have to give a +1 to the Fender Blender(it must be used with a power supply, otherwise the signal is very weak). Also, the MXR Blue Box for a different flavor octave fuzz, it also makes cool Atari/Commodore sounds.
Suburban Bather

Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Postby Twiddler » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:10 am

ZVEX Fuzzprobe. Awfully gritty at most and beautiful when turned down...

Moogerfooger Phaser (I use it mostly to overdrive things, with soft slow phasing...)

Telenordia TK-23 compressor. Yum.

I never tried any of the Frostwaves or Metasonix... I intend to do so.
Twiddler

Postby Lutraphobe » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:35 am

Now, this is highly subjective, but I nominate....

the Behringer FX100!!

I defy anyone to find a pedal that offers a wider range of ridiculous/bizarre sounds for under $30. As long as trivia like signal fidelity, 'warmth', musicality and, er, build quality aren't allowed to cloud one's judgement, it's actually a fascinating little box.
-Ensoniq ESQ-1, Korg Poly-800, Korg EA-1, Yamaha RM1x, Reason 2.5-
Lutraphobe

Postby Suburban Bather » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:01 am

Lutraphobe wrote:Now, this is highly subjective, but I nominate....

the Behringer FX100!!

I defy anyone to find a pedal that offers a wider range of ridiculous/bizarre sounds for under $30. As long as trivia like signal fidelity, 'warmth', musicality and, er, build quality aren't allowed to cloud one's judgement, it's actually a fascinating little box.

Yea! if doesn't break from just thinking about using it :wink:
Suburban Bather

Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Postby tom Cadillac » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:01 am

Another box I like is the alesis bitrman and I recently played guitar through it and felt I'd made a big step downwards into the depths of noise.

Before I'd always played synths through anything and kept my guitar experimentation to the 'made for guitar' bozes.

I can't play guitar worth shit really, but I love the whole organic metal vibration magnetic pick up thing. And using 'made for synth' boxes opens a lot of easy improvements - such as the bitrman adds a variable pulse with the third knob, which I don't like on synth, but on unskilled guitar playing adds an instant rythmic ingredient. Yum.

Hope that wasn't too off topic.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)
tom Cadillac

Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Postby johans121 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:06 am

How about this combination!!??!!?!?!?!?!

If you pump percussive bass through this, it fuckin' "breathes"! And I'm not talking about a subwoofer breathing here either. This shit talks to you.

Image[/img]
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!
johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Postby mirt » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:34 pm

i don't know if i can call it stomp box

Image[/img]
mirt

Postby Twiddler » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:22 pm

Mirt, please tell us more about that thing!!! :shock:
Twiddler

Postby hageir » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:02 am

Twiddler wrote:Mirt, please tell us more about that thing!!! :shock:

it's a soviet guitar effects "pedal"
http://www.ruskeys.net/eng/base/lider2.php

I've got a Soviet Lell Parametric EQ, it's like a tank.
It's so crispy.
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Postby mirt » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:23 am

it is lider2 many people call it minisynthesizer but it's strange processor, it was made in formanta factory (they made polivox)

ther is eq or filter with hard to describe lo fi sound, next is flanger, dirty and agresive one and it could be very slow allmost something like ehx filter matrix, next is chorus, for me it's kind of suprise (independent flanger & chorus) it isn't great by itself but with flanger on it's great add, last effect is overdrive/octaver - flat, screaming, lofi overdrive with slider to ad one octave down to fattern sound, with flanger on it could self oscillate.
if you want delicate drive, chorus or anything slim, forget about this monster, it is dirty and harsh, also noisy.

with chorus/delay from soviet lell factory and lider 2 you'll don't need guitar or synth to destroy the world with spacerock attack.
great cure for clean and flat beats,
mirt

Postby gfriden » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Absolute favourite? None. But the best combination without a question is a Maxon OD-808 + EH Small Clone through a Twin Reverb. Great for some funky guitar licks! I also love my Ibanez Wh-10 - best wha-wha ever! A very good but rare Fuzzbox is the DiMarzio Very Metal. Flanger? EH Electric Mistress. Delay? Maxon AD-80.
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.
gfriden

Postby pricklyrobot » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Danelectro French Toast, it's a fuzz with an octave-up switch (supposedly a clone of the Foxx Tone Machine). It's cheap and plastic, but it sounds like swarm of electrified bees fighting a chainsaw (that's a good thing in my book).

The Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz is quite good for more standard '60s fuzz sounds.

Another cool, cheap one is the Digitech Bass Synth Wah; I mostly just run drum machines through it and it gives a nice array of synthy bass blips and bloops.

My Build Your Own Clone Phaser sounds excellent, although I may just still be excited that I managed to put the thing together without breaking it.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to Sound Production