Name ONE favorite pedal (+more)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: Name ONE favorite pedal (+more)

Postby monolith » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:42 am

hmmm... if i had to name a favourite, it would be this:

It has stereo outs and can go from subtle leslie type sounds to face melting whooooooosh. When it is on settings 1 and 2 it speeds up to the setting when activated and slows down when de-activated. The control wheels light up too when it is powered by the ac input. I have 3 small stones which I love ('78 US, 90's sovtek (my fave) and a new sovtek) but this machine destroys them all. This pedal features on the Smashing Pumpkins song 'Plume'.

I also cant live without my foxx tone machine. maggot brain fuzz!

Honourable mentions to my green russian muff, the Boss HM-2, Boss RE-20. And though they arent technically pedals, Boss RX-100 spring reverb, and Boss RDD-10 rack reverb.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby pricklyrobot » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 am

monolith wrote:I also cant live without my foxx tone machine. maggot brain fuzz!

Have you tried the Danelectro clone of the Tone Machine (the French Toast)? I've had the Danelectro for a while now and really enjoy its unholy noise-making abilities, but I'm curious as to how it stacks up to the real thing (supposedly the guy who invented the original Tone Machine is the current head of Danelectro; not that that necessarily means anything).
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby monolith » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:59 am

pricklyrobot wrote:
monolith wrote:I also cant live without my foxx tone machine. maggot brain fuzz!

Have you tried the Danelectro clone of the Tone Machine (the French Toast)? I've had the Danelectro for a while now and really enjoy its unholy noise-making abilities, but I'm curious as to how it stacks up to the real thing (supposedly the guy who invented the original Tone Machine is the current head of Danelectro; not that that necessarily means anything).

No, I havent tried the french toast, but i was going to buy one this week. Hopefully it does stand up to the foxx though, because I dont really want to take it on tour.
I'll have to get it shipped from the US, so I wont have it for a week or two.. but I'll record a comparison and email it to you if you like?
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby pricklyrobot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:59 am

monolith wrote:No, I havent tried the french toast, but i was going to buy one this week. Hopefully it does stand up to the foxx though, because I dont really want to take it on tour.
I'll have to get it shipped from the US, so I wont have it for a week or two.. but I'll record a comparison and email it to you if you like?
That'd be awesome, thanks. Or even if you don't have time to record, just your thoughts on how the two compare would be cool to hear. :thumbright:

Also, to get back to the thread in general, another recent favorite pedal is the Shin Ei Companion clone kit (from General Guitar Gadgets, $5 off this month, and a great, easy kit for beginners, by the way) that I put together a little while ago. It has some of the total destruction quality of the French Toast, but with it's own unique tone (It's the angry lawnmower, to the French Toast's evil chainsaw :wink:).
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby monolith » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:15 am

Yeah, Shin-Ei Companions are great, my friend has one. I believe it's the fuzz that the Jesus and Mary chain used. Great chainsaw/lawnmower analogy! I'll be looking into the GGG kit soon. I think they just released a copy of the old superfuzz, which is well worth checking out too.
It wont be a hassle to record a comparison because sadly, I have a little too much time on my hands :shock:
I just bought a french toast off of Ebay this morning (NEW for $15US!) so it should arrive mid next week, then I'll get to work. Would you want synth or guitar sounds or both?
8)
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby pricklyrobot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 am

monolith wrote:Yeah, Shin-Ei Companions are great, my friend has one. I believe it's the fuzz that the Jesus and Mary chain used. Great chainsaw/lawnmower analogy! I'll be looking into the GGG kit soon. I think they just released a copy of the old superfuzz, which is well worth checking out too.
Yeah, I heard the same thing about JAMC and the Shin Ei, although something I read said theirs was broken and thus sounded even more messed-up than normal. Build Your Own Clone just put out a Superfuzz clone, is that the one you mean, or does GGG have one too? Wish I had unlimited time to solder, and a better-paying job.:cry:

It wont be a hassle to record a comparison because sadly, I have a little too much time on my hands :shock:
I just bought a french toast off of Ebay this morning (NEW for $15US!) so it should arrive mid next week, then I'll get to work. Would you want synth or guitar sounds or both?
8)
I'd love to hear a bit of both. I mainly use the French Toast with guitar, but I've gotten some great sounds plugging, particularly, my CZ-1000 into it as well.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby monolith » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 am

Ah, yes, I meant the BYOC.
I've not done a build before so I'll start small, But my friend who mods and fixes all my synths and pedals is gonna show me how its done. My first project is gonna be rehousing the french toast into a metal case with an added footswitch for the octave!
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby ipassenger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 am

Loving my Jomox M Resonator. Cracking bit of kit... A little bit of verb after the filter I think gives a bit of something extra too. Mainly using it in mono cos it gets really confusing in stereo. Really love how u can make it a fizzy, gentle HP filter by subtracting one filter from the other, the Filter FM is one of the best i've heard and the switchable gain/distortion is class. I still want a Sherman FB as well but my mate who has the Sherman now wants a M Res too. :)
ipassenger

Postby dr.sine » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:59 am

dude...

all the way.
My mind doth rove of its own accord.
dr.sine

Location: 44° 16′ 58″ N, 105° 30′ 19″ W ...far away from intelligent conversation...
Gear: not nearly enough
Band: Brandeau

Postby Christopher Winkels » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:46 am

Years ago I owned an MXR Phase 100 that is still my all-time favourite pedal. Big chunky knobs, metal case built to withstand depleted uranium rounds, a lovely, airy, almost vocal swoosh quality, and that lurid orange colour. Quality.

Lately though I've been medium pimping a far more humble and (superficially at least) less noteworthy pedal. I say superficially because it's neither an expensive boutique pedal, nor a rare and classic find obtained for pennies on the dollar. No sir, it's a Behringer UltraChorus. Yeah, it'll crap out in six months. The plastic case has all the roadworthiness of a meringue brake pad. But for a whopping $37 new, it has provided a good - no, great - tonal addition to my Moog Little Phatty. The two blend together like peanut butter and chocolate. I tried running my Prophet-08 through the UltraChorus and it sounded dreadfully limp. But somehow the LP bludgeons the input in a way that turns it into a whole different animal. I'm really anxious to A/B it against an old MIJ-edition Boss CE-2 due to arrive later this week.

Watch this space.
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Clavier » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:52 am

I'm pretty fond of original Cry Baby wahs. I never tire of the musical flow that just a wah and a Rhodes (or Hammond) will provide. I like that combo even better than the Clav and wah combo.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45
Clavier

Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Postby garranimal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Right now my fav pedal is the RE-20 space echo. Nicely emulates the RE-201 without messing with tapes.
I'm surprised the Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble hasn't been mentioned here yet. Been jonesing for one about a year and had to put it on order. GC has decidedly discontinued stocking them and they can only be ordered online. Can understand why guitar players may not be into the RT-20, but any synth/organ players out there using this?
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby TrondC » Sat May 30, 2009 8:09 pm

garranimal wrote:Right now my fav pedal is the RE-20 space echo. Nicely emulates the RE-201 without messing with tapes.
I'm surprised the Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble hasn't been mentioned here yet. Been jonesing for one about a year and had to put it on order. GC has decidedly discontinued stocking them and they can only be ordered online. Can understand why guitar players may not be into the RT-20, but any synth/organ players out there using this?

I almost picked up a RE-20 locally for ca $120, but decided I want to save up for other gear instead..
then I passed up an RT-20 for around $70.. damn those two would probably sound VERY nice chained :D
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Postby MPrint » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 pm

Electro Harmonix Small Stone(great analog phaser) and the 2880 looper looks like it will be my new favorite when I get it. Looks like the best midi synced looper in its price range. Boss RC-50 can't touch it. Moog Murf is pretty cool too.
MPrint

Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Postby mung » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:23 am

TrondC wrote:I almost picked up a RE-20 locally for ca $120, but decided I want to save up for other gear instead..
then I passed up an RT-20 for around $70.. damn those two would probably sound VERY nice chained :D

They sound great together! I used them on vocals for a friend's cover of the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows," which I produced. It sounded like the vocals were melting!
mung

Gear: Nord Electro, Yamaha DX 7, Alesis Ion, Crumar Orchestrator, Roland Juno-G, Korg R3, Casiotone 7000, Edirol PCR-M80, Boss RE20, Boss RT20, Boss GT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Sound Production