Name ONE favorite pedal (+more)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: Name ONE favorite pedal (+more)

Postby garranimal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:19 am

mung wrote:
TrondC wrote:I almost picked up a RE-20 locally for ca $120, but decided I want to save up for other gear instead..
then I passed up an RT-20 for around $70.. damn those two would probably sound VERY nice chained :D

They sound great together! I used them on vocals for a friend's cover of the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows," which I produced. It sounded like the vocals were melting!

I can attest to this chain as well on a PolySix at the moment.
RE-20 has a reverb volume kicked up to about 5 as well.
Dim the room lights and let these pedals set the mood. :BLISS: :D
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Advertisement:

Postby TrondC » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:09 am

so, a quick scan through this puts the Boss DC-2 pretty high. I've always wanted one, and I've got the chance to pick up a good looking one for a decent price ($200 incl shipping).
However, it has only a mono input? does it accept stereo sound through those splitter/merger adapters? because I'd love to use one, but it would be hard to put into my chain since I run everything in stereo..

also looks like I may be getting a Holiest Grail soon, I predict (based on the Holy Grail I used to own) that this pedal will be the shit :)

..and I'm eBaying daily for RE-20's & DM-2's.. damn (reverb/delay) pedal GAS!!
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Postby Cumulus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:39 pm

My favorite pedal wouldbe the Peavey DDL-3 Digital Delay. It sounds great and will self-oscilate if needed for some greta spacey sounds!

I also like the Line6 DL4 for the same reasons plus the looping ability.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Cumulus

Postby impaler42 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:28 am

electro harmonix clone theory!!! Peter Hook from New Order uses it on his bass to get his signature sound. I use it on synths a lot to phatten up sounds.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]
impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Postby Newtown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 am

Cumulus wrote:I also like the Line6 DL4 for the same reasons plus the looping ability.
Hell yeah!

The DL4 is probably the most awesome pedal ever made. Ever. The emulations aren't all that good as emulations, but as their own effects, they're awesome, and the looper is great.
http://datavis.bandcamp.com/ is for Datavis releases.
http://soundcloud.com/datavis/ is for everything else.
http://penguinchan.org/will/ is my personal site.
Newtown

Gear: microKORG
Yamaha PSR-15
mini-KP
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
Boss DR-770
Band: Datavis

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:24 am

If only the DL4 wasn't so badly made, it would be great. I mix a band who gig a lot who use one and they've been through about 5 in the past couple of years. If the nuts come loose the switches drop into the pedal and break stuff, and the dials are mounted directly to the board which can crack over time, rendering the pedal useless. Even if they just swapped the controls for pots that were screwed to the case so it could take any pressure on them it would be a classic, as it is there won't be any left working withing 5 years of them stopping making them.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:26 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:If only the DL4 wasn't so badly made, it would be great. I mix a band who gig a lot who use one and they've been through about 5 in the past couple of years. If the nuts come loose the switches drop into the pedal and break stuff, and the dials are mounted directly to the board which can crack over time, rendering the pedal useless. Even if they just swapped the controls for pots that were screwed to the case so it could take any pressure on them it would be a classic, as it is there won't be any left working withing 5 years of them stopping making them.

Line 6 wrote:The DL4 packs models of those sounds and many more into a rugged, road-tested steel housing.

I wonder which road they're riding?
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby space6oy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:45 pm

second time i've heard that about the DL4 this week. i've had mine for ages & never had a problem w/ it. even just picked up a second for more looping. some people must crush w/ their stomping...
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby tallowwaters » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Not a fan of the DL4 either, just kind of bland, even with all the different types. Timefactor whoops on it big time.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby monolith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:36 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Not a fan of the DL4 either, just kind of bland, even with all the different types.

+1

I only keep mine around for looping.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tallowwaters » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:58 pm

To be honest, the Timefactor slays all the multifunction delay pedals I've used. From MMwH to DL4 and back, it just kicks ass. I've read reviews of people calling it bland and sterile - these people are fools that can't use a delay. It wears many coats, all of them badass.

Furthermore, I just got a DanEcho back in the chain that booted out the MMwH. I'm gonna do the higher impedance mod so the bypass buffer is less crap, but it's easily one of the best delays I've used. It sounds like a cross between a well maintained tape and a BBE, just awesome.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby PitchBender » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Alesis Bitrman.

Sounds crunchy bitty.
Kinda like this: bzzzzzzz crrrrrrrssssshhhhhhh shhhhhhttt
"no one on Facebook is looking for anything except for a way to tell you how great their fat kids are."
PitchBender

Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Postby space6oy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:45 pm

kinda surprised at the low opinions of the DL4. i dig a few of its emulations, especially for having an expression pedal to morph from one stored preset to another. given i don't often use mine for delays, just for looping, but did once upon a time before picking up some other delays.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:34 am

I just picked up a few effects including an MXR Phase 45, and I must say it sounds phenomenal. I also like the EHX Memory Boy and Frequency Analyzer.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby mikewelch7 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 pm

For keys, I find the DL4 is an amazing pedal. Th looper plus ease of preset delays that are varied and useful are all factors. In addition, they're available at a relatively low cost.

I'm a huge fan of the Roland RE-20 Space Echo simulator. It sounds are stunning and its tweakability lead to countless lost hours tooling around in the outer reaches.

I also love the analog Deluxe Memory Man. It has a beautiful organic sounding delay that is a slight notch above the RE-20.

I have the Pigtronix Echolution. I don't fully understand the pedal and don't feel drawn to learn it...

I love the Pigtronix EP-2 Envelope filter. With an expression pedal to control the filter sweep, it has a very cool sound.

Electro-Harmonix' Ring Thing is a box filled with countless inspiration. Adding the harmonics to a dry signal creates a new musical experience. It is a well thought out pedal. I use it mostly on guitars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxv6aKPQ6rY
DSI MEK, Rack, Mopho X4,
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800, JP 8080, Kawai SX210, Moog Voyager
http://www.myspace.com/golsf
mikewelch7

Gear: DSI MEK, Rack
Manikin Memotron
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800

PreviousNext