Hohner Pianet T: preamp? DI box? or...?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Hohner Pianet T: preamp? DI box? or...?

Postby johnny.gagliano » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:26 am

Hi,
i've just found a Pianet T by Hohner
( http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/f ... anetst.htm )
and i woud like to make it useful on a modern stage.
Do i need a preamp or, maybe, a DI?

This instrument can't have a sustain pedal. Do you think i could create a similar effect with a reverb pedal, or similar?

Thanks a lot!
Giangiacomo

p.s.: sorry for my bad english... ;)
johnny.gagliano

Advertisement:

Re: Hohner Pianet T: preamp? DI box? or...?

Postby analoglsd » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 pm

A few years ago the Pianet was an integral part of my live rig.
At the time, I used an MXR Micro-Amp as the pre-amp.
Sustain is controlled by how long you press down on the key(s). ;)
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Postby madtheory » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:22 pm

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby pinksoir » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:27 pm

What I do is run it through some nice effects and then into a tube amp. Alternatively you could run it through a tube preamp and then into the desk, but it does sound best through an amp, then mic'd.

Though it all depends on what you want it to sound like. Effects really make it come alive. As per the link you posted, imagine it as an electric guitar. I like to run mine through a Leslie sim (I use a danelectro Rocky Road, not the best but does the job) to get a nice Supertramp wurlitzer type tone. Or through an overdrive for anything from slightly bitey right up to gnarly harshness (It's nice to have one that you can blend the clean with the overdriven signal, I use a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive for that). I even run it through a Big Muff to get super saturated, almost 8 bit type tones. It really sounds great with anything - phaser, flanger, chorus, delay, reverb...

As analoglsd said, it'll sustain pretty long if you hold down the keys, besides that there's nothing you can do really.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog
pinksoir

Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Postby johnny.gagliano » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:03 am

Ok. Thanks a lot!
johnny.gagliano

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:12 am

I have used the Pianet T live EXTENSIVELY. I LOVE IT.
For Preamp, and more, I use:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/bellari-rp503-tube-mic-pre-channel-strip/180721000000000
or, when international travel is involved:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-tube-mp-studio-mic-preamp

The Bellari is noisy as hell, and introduces ridiculous odd sounds now and then, but it allows me to create a very midrange EP sound that I like, with tube saturation.

:::slaps madtheory in the face::::
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby madtheory » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote::::slaps madtheory in the face::::

So you like the pianet? You're wrong. :P (just kidding!!!!!!)

But seriously. The OP asked about sustain pedal. If he likes pedal as much as I do he'll want to throw the pianet out the window and stamp on it repeatedly 'til it's dead. I really like the sampled pianet, because it gets that sound, but with decent dynamics and a pedal. Like a real keyboard instrument (dodges AG's slap).

If the OP wants a "real" keyboard with sustain pedal, the Wurlitzer 200 does a very very similar thing (dodges AG's slap again).
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:02 pm

madtheory wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote::::slaps madtheory in the face::::

So you like the pianet? You're wrong. :P (just kidding!!!!!!)

But seriously. The OP asked about sustain pedal. If he likes pedal as much as I do he'll want to throw the pianet out the window and stamp on it repeatedly 'til it's dead. I really like the sampled pianet, because it gets that sound, but with decent dynamics and a pedal. Like a real keyboard instrument (dodges AG's slap).

If the OP wants a "real" keyboard with sustain pedal, the Wurlitzer 200 does a very very similar thing (dodges AG's slap again).

Ahhhh... I didn't know your Hollow Sun suggestion was in regard to the sustain pedal aspect!
Yeah, sustain. Seriously, though... this is a bit like saying "I really love the harpsichord but wish it had a sustain pedal." The pianet doesn't have sustain... and that's why you have to learn to play it without sustain. If you want the benefit of the experience and sound of the device, you have to take on some different playing skills to earn that benefit. If you're comfortable emulating it, you might just as well move away from hardware at all, as all fantastic instruments have some setback that can be overcome with software (at the expense of the sound and physical experience).

As for all of the slapping... I can't slap you, mad ol' fellow. You're right. I can preach about sacrifice, but there are times in fast chord changes where I desperately wish I had sustain to rely on!

As for the 200... psh. Transistors. ;)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.

Postby madtheory » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Ahhhh... I didn't know your Hollow Sun suggestion was in regard to the sustain pedal aspect!

Ya sorry, I wasn't clear.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:this is a bit like saying "I really love the harpsichord but wish it had a sustain pedal."

Which is very close to what I have often said- I love the sound, but...! LOL! The other problem I have with a harpsichord is the way the keys drop after it's plucked. Absolutely hideous compared to a piano. Spent two semesters doing harpsichord, playing baroque music, because I was dead late when the courses were being doled out. Hated it. So... I use a sampled harpsichord- the old Emu EIIIx one is great. While I'm at it- I can't stand the "action" on a Hammond either.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:there are times in fast chord changes where I desperately wish I had sustain to rely on!

I'm too slow so I need the pedal...
Automatic Gainsay wrote:As for the 200... psh. Transistors. ;)

Screw you, 140 owner. ;)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:49 am

I will gladly sacrifice sustain for the way the pianet feels.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby madtheory » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 am

That's cool. I hope we've helped the OP! :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby johnny.gagliano » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 am

Yes, you did! (and i had quite a good time reading you debate) ;)

At the end of it all, i think i won't need any sustain pedal: you're right, i should learn how to play the instrument as it comes from the manufacturer, if i want to really "get in touch" with it.

Thank you so much! I'm loving this forum! :D
johnny.gagliano

Postby Cruel Hoax » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 am

I always liked an Akai MFC42 for the Pianet (which I actually have owned and used thus, thank you!) Set the Filters to lowpass, moderate resonance, with a fairly fast LFO rate, and engage the Phaser. If your signal is low-low, you can engage the Distortion. Otherwise, best to grab a compressor or two (pedal or software)

Also, don't neglect the possibility of sending your Pianet signal to a small amp ()Smokey or whatever) and holding it over the tines. Feedback galore! Stick some modulation in that feedback path (and some treble ducking) for awesome shit you never expected.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Return to Sound Production