What is your favourite reverb unit?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

What is your favourite reverb unit?

Postby syntheticsolutions » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Apolagies if this should be in buyers guide,

I am looking to buy a nice reverb unit sometime soon (preferably 19" rack) however, I have very little experience with reverbs. I have used the quadraverb quite a lot and althought I like its depth and colour, I do find it a bit harsh and somewhat sharp due to the inherent digital artefacts.

I want one rack unit that will produce smooth, discreet reverbs of many types e.g plate, spring, hall etc. budget is somewhat flexible however I don't want to spend a ton of cash for the sake of it. And before anyone mentions it, NO, unfortunately I can not afford a lexicon 244 :(
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Advertisement:

Re: What is your favourite reverb unit?

Postby madtheory » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Lexicon LXP15II is very nice, lots of possibilities for modulation via MIDI, or simply by adding pots to the CV inputs. Very good sounding reverb as well!

The Quadraverb is great too, it's easy enough to make it sound smoother. The presets tend to be unnaturally bright- roll off the top end and they all sound better. Great gritty sampler, good resonator on the "plus" version, which is the only version worth seeking out- the overdrive on the GT sounds very dated. It's not worth the extra bucks IMO.

Yamaha SPX90 is a crunchy classic, sits very well in a mix, even compared to more modern boxes.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Cybercardinal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Well I just bought a Eventide Space, which I like so far (beautiful soundscapes with a PPG Wave yesterday) but I was also considering a Lexicon PCM 90. But the desktop approach won, as I find it more ergonomic to sit and noddle with than a rackunit.

But maybe thats what you are looking for.
Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:34 am

Unless it absolutely has to be a rack unit the space is what you should be going for.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby garranimal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:53 am

I use a lexicon MPX550 and think I paid around $150. The presets make great starting points and I can quickly dial in the decay and wet/dry mix. The sound to me is great bang for the buck. I really do like the eventide reverb sound, and the space module, but they are usually costing quite a bit more.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby CfNorENa » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:12 pm

syntheticsolutions wrote:I want one rack unit that will produce smooth, discreet reverbs of many types e.g plate, spring, hall etc. budget is somewhat flexible however I don't want to spend a ton of cash for the sake of it

You could also try the Kurzweil Rumour. A single channel from their flagship KS8P multi FX unit, dedicated to reverbs. Excellent reverb workhorse, can go from small/realistic to huge/spacey/trippy very easily. Clean, easy to use. Can be found for under $400. Tremendous bang-for-buck machine.
CfNorENa

Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Yeah, the Eventide verbs are beautiful ;)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby shaft9000 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:21 am

2nd the rumour reco. it's a $1000+ level unit, easy. i prefer it to mid-level TC or eventide on acoustic sources, particularly. Sure, a nicer Lex will sound a bit sweeter, but the rumour hangs in there - it's eminently mixable in lots of apps.

i'd only go with a pedal such as strymon or space if you need it for live use
pedals are nearly always lacking the detailed algos of the 'father' rack units; and the eventides are no exception. they are nice, for pedals.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby boreg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Unless it absolutely has to be a rack unit the space is what you should be going for.

^ This. Space sounds very classy and expensive.
Also, having dedicated knobs for all parameters is nice. No menus to navigate, no shift buttons - you're not programming it, you're playing.
boreg

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Had a Yamaha SPX50 for over 15 years, great little unit...all the SPX series are good and cheap used. My recommendation if you cannot afford Lexicon or Eventide units.

My Motif XF has SPX-based verbs that can process external audio so that's what I use now.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Return to Sound Production