Delta 1010 … post crossover signal routing?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Delta 1010 … post crossover signal routing?

Postby Suburban Jerk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Hello. I recently introduced a subwoofer to my monitoring and listening set-up. I read the Delta 1010 bass management manual but there is no commentary that describes how bass management is used in conjunction with signal routing in the patch bay router section of the software. I've never needed to crossover a signal before. If possible, I would like to eliminate the need for a hardware crossover.

First question, is the Delta 1010 bass management feature essentially an internal software crossover?

Second question, Can I route 3 cables out of my 1010... 2 would have a filtered signal only utilizing frequencies above 80hz (post crossover) and 1 would be a filtered signal only utilizing below 80hz (post crossover)? In other words… Can I use channel 3 as a mono channel only delivering a post crossover signal of 80hz and below to the subwoofer and channels 1 and 2 as a post crossover stereo signal of above 80hz to channels 1 and 2?
Suburban Jerk

Advertisement:

Re: Delta 1010 … post crossover signal routing?

Postby madtheory » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Is this the M Audio Delta 1010 you're talking about? The bass management there is, I assume, only for surround use. So you will need a crossover of some kind. On the Mac, one can use Audio Hijack to insert an AU plugin on any output, so that would allow you to set up a crossover. I don't know about Windows, but there must be a way to insert filters on the audio output.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Suburban Jerk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I'm referring to the M-Audio Delta 1010.

There is a reference to a "crossover" in the bass management manual but the more a look at this issue the more I think it's not actually a crossover. Now the question becomes, who makes a software crossover that I can place in the signal chain pre digital to analog conversion? Anyone do this?
Suburban Jerk

Postby Suburban Jerk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Anyone have insight into this?
Suburban Jerk

Postby madtheory » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:10 pm

On the Mac, Audio Hijack and judicious use of free VST eq plugins can do what you require.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:03 am

What's the sub? Every one I've ever used has a stereo input and a built in crossover, you run your stereo out from your sound card to the sub and then stereo from the sub outs to your top boxes. The sub does the crossing over for you, no software required.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Suburban Jerk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Yes, that is true. However, I'd need to buy new cables. I might do that, I might not. In the mean time I can use Cubase.
Suburban Jerk

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 am

I'd say buying new cables is a small price to pay for having your sub working as its intended.
Stab Frenzy

Postby Suburban Jerk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:55 pm

That's what I ended up doing. However by doing this I relinquish separate volume control of the sub and monitors because they are chained. I'm going to try to set-up a few filters in Cubase and test different configurations. I'll post impressions of the outcomes in the future.

Thanks everyone.
Suburban Jerk

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 pm

You don't want separate volume control of them, you want them to be set at the right level at all times. :thumbright:
Stab Frenzy

Return to Sound Production