Remixing a song...royalties,etc.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Remixing a song...royalties,etc.

Postby Financier » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:57 pm

Hi,
I was wanting to know does the person remixing the song have to pay royalties or something? Or ask permission from the original artist? I see lots of remixes of stuff done from the 80s and wondered what they had to do.
I know it is probably a bunch of law stuff..but just an idea.

Thanks
"Toe Pick"
Financier

Gear: Ableton Live 8 Suite
Akai MPK 49

Advertisement:

Re: Remixing a song...royalties,etc.

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Royalties no, permission theoretically.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby c-level » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Financier wrote:Hi,
I was wanting to know does the person remixing the song have to pay royalties or something? Or ask permission from the original artist? I see lots of remixes of stuff done from the 80s and wondered what they had to do.
I know it is probably a bunch of law stuff..but just an idea.

Thanks

your the financier shouldnt you know? ;)

in short, under fair use, you can hack, mangle, bastardize, remix anything your heart desires. a 'bootleg'. you cannot however, charge or profit from remixing something you dont have the permission of the copyright owner to do so from. an 'authorized' remix. many of the remixes you have prob heard are unofficial, free bootlegs taken from the whole tune, not the authorized remix 'stems' you would have access to if licensed by the artist/label...

so on one hand, bootlegged remixes are fun if you really wanna flip the tune. on the other, i wouldnt hold your breath for those official pet shop boys (or insert any other 80s synthpop band you all go gonzo for) multitrack masters and a commisioned remix contract....
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Postby pflosi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:04 pm

AFAIK, legally the label is accountable for these things, not the artist...
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Financier » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:03 pm

thanks for the info. I am taking lessons on Ableton and as one of my few projects I am learning to do remixes. It will show more use of the software. So I always saw all these remixes on iTunes,CDs,etc. and wondered the law.
The song I am doing is "Don't You Want Me" by The Human League. Fun to do it.

As for "Financier" being my screen name..i am not a money guy,,,i bake, and it is my fav cake to do...lol
"Toe Pick"
Financier

Gear: Ableton Live 8 Suite
Akai MPK 49

Postby winningatlife » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:01 pm

c-level wrote:in short, under fair use, you can hack, mangle, bastardize, remix anything your heart desires. a 'bootleg'. you cannot however, charge or profit from remixing something you dont have the permission of the copyright owner to do so from. an 'authorized' remix. many of the remixes you have prob heard are unofficial, free bootlegs taken from the whole tune, not the authorized remix 'stems' you would have access to if licensed by the artist/label...

so on one hand, bootlegged remixes are fun if you really wanna flip the tune. on the other, i wouldnt hold your breath for those official pet shop boys (or insert any other 80s synthpop band you all go gonzo for) multitrack masters and a commisioned remix contract....

No. This is not correct at all. Any unauthorized remix is actually a copyright violation as an unauthorized derivative work whether or not you charge for it or not. There is something called a compulsory license that allows you to do an unauthorized "cover" of a song, but then you have to stick to the original song fairly closely with some wiggle room for stylistic variations, and you can't sample any of the sounds from the original sound recording - and you have to pay a compulsory license fee. Fair use is a complicated area of law, but courts have held that almost any 'sampling' does not qualify for fair use. A few cases show that if you make a "parody" of a song then you are in the clear - but a remix, re-edit, or any other use of a song for the purpose of simply making a different version is a clear violation.
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.
winningatlife

Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Return to Sound Production