Mackie DL1608 (iPad Mixer)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Mackie DL1608 (iPad Mixer)

Postby silikon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:00 pm

...anyone have reasonable experience with this thing, they'd wish to share? It certainly looks intriguing -- but I'm wondering about overall sound Q one might expect, as well as any other pertinent information. I know it's aimed at the live performing scene, but perhaps useful in the studio?
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Advertisement:

Re: Mackie DL1608 (iPad Mixer)

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:48 pm

I've seen one used in a controlled live situation (demo), but not in a bar or club. Sounded like a typical Mackie (and I have a Mackie board in my home studio). I didn't get the opportunity to play with it, unfortunately. They also make an 8-channel version. I have no idea what either would sound like or how flexible they'd be in a studio.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Mackie DL1608 (iPad Mixer)

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:26 am

A friend of mine who is also a live engineer used one for a show once, he said it sounded good and was good to use. We both work at a venue with a digico sd9 so that's the level of gear we're used to, so it's fairly high praise from him.

I've hooked up my iPad to control the mixer in my Fireface UFX before, you don't get every parameter available but every mix comes up on the faders. I've mixed a show using the UFX before, sounded really good and you also get a great soundcard as part of the package. Costs a bit more though.

Personally for the studio I think a great interface with flexible routing is better than a desk, digital or analogue.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Return to Sound Production