Yamaha Buys Line 6!!!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Yamaha Buys Line 6!!!

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Full Press Release

Yamaha Corporation’s acquisition of Line 6, Inc. creates a powerful force to drive innovation and inspire musicians.

CALABASAS, CA – 20.Dec 2013 - Yamaha Corporation and Line 6, Inc. today announced a definitive agreement for Yamaha to acquire Line 6, a leading manufacturer of innovative solutions for musicians. The acquisition expands Yamaha’s portfolio of modeling guitar processing products as well as pro-audio equipment, and offers new and exciting opportunities for accelerated growth for both companies.

Wonder what that means for Propellerheads?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha Buys Line 6!!!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:54 pm

What's the Yamaha/Propellerheads connection?

Line 6 seem to have moved away from their core pedal/amp/POD business lately to do a lot more consumer and midi stuff, it would be good to see them focussing more on that stuff again I reckon, and letting the Yamaha brand take care of the other stuff. It seems like they haven't done anything that had the impact of the DL4 since that came out.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby jim777 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:03 am

In my opinion only as a guitarist and bass player who has used their stuff extensively, Line 6 products have slipped from first rate to second. Guitarists who once used tyheir stuff exclusively have abandoned them in favor of the AxeFX (and to a lesser degree the 11 Rack), and with good reason. I think if there is anyone out there who is still a fan of Line6 stuff, this can only be seen as a great turn of events. Yamaha makes great products, and I think their oversight will really help refocus the company to aim higher.
even Siberia goes through the motions....
jim777

Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:What's the Yamaha/Propellerheads connection?

Line 6 has been Propellerheads distributor in the USA and Reason includes guitar and bass Pods in it's rack complete with Line 6 logos.

Yamaha owns Steinberg.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby GuyaGuy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:37 am

jim777 wrote:In my opinion only as a guitarist and bass player who has used their stuff extensively, Line 6 products have slipped from first rate to second. Guitarists who once used tyheir stuff exclusively have abandoned them in favor of the AxeFX (and to a lesser degree the 11 Rack), and with good reason. I think if there is anyone out there who is still a fan of Line6 stuff, this can only be seen as a great turn of events. Yamaha makes great products, and I think their oversight will really help refocus the company to aim higher.

They're 2 different markets really. Fractal is going for full-on pro players and studios whereas Line6 is more middle of the road. They happened to lead the modeling world there for a while. But things went "boutique" with Fractal and co and L6 were overtaken in quality. In terms of sales, I think L6 still has/d nothing to worry about.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Return to Sound Production