Help: recording in real-time with Orion

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Help: recording in real-time with Orion

Postby FrankieMusic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:06 am

Hello folks. I have some questions about recording with Synapse Audio's Orion virtual studio.

I want to record my Linn LM-1 and LinnDrum (and other '80s drum machines I plan to acquire) in real-time from their individual outputs to individual mixer channels in Orion. I take it that I will need additional hardware to accomplish this.

I have ideas and assumptions, but I need confirmation from more experienced people here.

For starters, I assume I will need an ASIO device to combat latency and serve as an interface. Secondly, I assume that in order to both synch the tempo of the machines to Orion and record the individual sounds, I would need a digital hardware mixer/workstation. The question there is: what would the mixer/workstation be best used for? Recording and storing real-time audio tracks which can in turn be recorded into Orion? Or would it serve simply as an intermediary hardware MIDI controller to which channels and controls can be assigned?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am dissatisfied with using samples and sound fonts. I want more flexibility and control over the machines' tuning and programming capabilities and I want to record them and retain their sonic characteristics straight out of the individual outs, as well as retain their respective unique timing and "feel", as though I were recording them to tape.

Thank you and Happy New Year.
FrankieMusic

Advertisement:

Re: Help: recording in real-time with Orion

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:29 pm

What computer/OS are you using?

What MIDI hardware do you currently own (You mentioned Linn)?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby FrankieMusic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:52 pm

I will soon be using a new Dell desktop with Windows 8.

I don't currently own MIDI hardware. All I have now are the two Linns which are not retrofitted for MIDI. I take it they have synch capabilities though?
FrankieMusic

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:29 am

Couldn't you use midi/cv converters for syncing ? This is why I don't fuck with digital stuff or with having shit synced ! :P
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby FrankieMusic » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks, you're a lot of help. :lol:

In any event, forget I asked. Guitar Center's staff was very helpful in confirming my ideas.

I need an ASIO device first and foremost, some of which have a maximum input capacity of eight channels. Optionally, if I chose a smaller ASIO, I will need a hardware mixer for more tracks and as an interface.
FrankieMusic

Return to Sound Production