Show Us Your Cans!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Show Us Your Cans!

Postby Cumulus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:25 am

Headphones, that is...

Here are my vintage AKG K-240’s from the 80's:

And a recent Christmas present. Grado SR-60 open back headphones:

Both pairs sound great to me. I use the AKG's for most of my recording and I plan on trying out the Grado's for late-night mixing when I can't blast through monitors.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Cumulus

Advertisement:

Re: Show Us Your Cans!

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:50 am

I've been looking for a pair of open backs for the late night mixing thing - let me know what you think of those Grados. The price is great and I've never heard of 'em!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Cumulus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:00 am

I had never heard of them before the mrs. Gave them to me. They are apparently a very well-regarded company and these phones are getting fantastic reviews.

So far, I love them but I haven't mixed with them yet.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ryryoftokyo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:59 pm

I am absolutely in love with these: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2
32 MU modular system, Electribe (EA-1 and EMX), Microbrute, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, MS20, AN1x, Poly 61 (x2), JX8P, Split-8, DX7, Alpha Juno 2, microkorg, Conn Electric Band, TR-505, Ace Tone FR-3, Monotron Delay, Beatstep
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Postby _dan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:46 am

I have some AKG 240s as well, love them :D
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================
_dan

Postby ColorForm2113 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:37 am

wow!I just checked out those grado headphones... they look amazing. I'd love to hear what they sound like, specially the $1700 ones
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby Cumulus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:28 am

Yeah, I had never heard of Grados before the wife gave them to me. They don't look impressive. Even the box looks cheap.

One of her clients is a high-end stereo dealer and she got a good deal in them, when I plugged them into Animoog on the iPad I was very impressed. Then I started reading reviews. I can't find a negative review anywhere.

And, yes, I'd love to hear what the $1700 pair sounds like...
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:23 am

My old boss had a pair of those Grados, I remember they sounded pretty nice for hifi headphones.

I use Beyer DT-770Ms and absolutely love them. Amazing isolation and super clean. In fact they're so clean it is a bit of a problem because you can generate dangerously high SPLs without them distorting so you need to be careful not to damage your hearing without noticing it.

Been meaning to post a pic since I first saw this thread but haven't got round to it til now, but me and my cans are mixing sound for a life drawing class so plenty of time to post stuff.

I've also got a pair of Aiaiai TMA-1s which I bought for travelling but they just don't compare to the 770s in terms of sound so I hardly use them. I put up with the bulk of the 770s because they're so excellent.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Cumulus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:23 pm

I've heard very good things about the 770's. and not just from you.

They are on my list of things to try out someday.

Dan, how do you like you AKG 240's?

I love mine. I use the term "mine" loosely. They are actually my wife's. She saved up her money and bought them in Germany in the 80's after seeing a picture of Stevie Nicks wearing AKG's in a studio somewhere.

I also want to try the Shure 1840 open back headphones.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Nistegmos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 pm

I have the Audio Technia ATH-T200s.

sorry no pics. They look pretty reasonable and conventional, though. blackle image search
Nistegmos

Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Postby _dan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 pm

(@ Cumulus) Overall I am very satisfied with them. I've had the AKG-240 (studio) for more than five years, and another set (that I gifted to someone) for five years prior to that. My original set might not have been the "studio" version. I have not owned any other headphones that are at a similar price point, so I have nothing to compare them to. I agree with a lot of the reviews in that they have a natural/slightly warm/slightly wide character (no gangsta bass or disco smile). They are very comfortable physically and acoustically. Cons: They can shift on your head (not drastic but noticeable).
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================
_dan

Postby garranimal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:39 am

Pioneer Monitor 10. Purely eye candy. I don't mix or listen casually. These don't sound as pristine as modern, nor are they comfortable. But they are damn cool in a nerdy retro way.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Return to Sound Production