Is this acoustic panel going to do anything?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Is this acoustic panel going to do anything?

Postby Jay200MPH » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:36 am

My new monitors will be facing a flat, hollow, wall which is about 3m away. There is a faux-suede couch against the wall. I had some pieces of foam lying around; I thought I could glue these down to some MDF/plywood/whatever's cheap and make an acoustic panel for above the couch.

It ended up being a bit small - about 117x63 cm (46x24 inches.) I could place it either horizontally or vertically at that size. Should I build the panel or am I just wasting my foam?

I'll get a pic of the wall space & the couch when I get home. I'm open to alternate configurations for the foam pieces too.
Jay200MPH

Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Advertisement:

Re: Is this acoustic panel going to do anything?

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:29 am

That's packing material not acoustic foam. It'll absorb top end but won't do much below 1-2kHz, I wouldn't waste my time if I were you.

If you want to do it properly you need proper acoustic material, I find insulation designed for HVAC is the best/cheapest source for making panels. If possible get batts made from polyester rather than fibreglass, it's nicer to have in the studio.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Is this acoustic panel going to do anything?

Postby Jay200MPH » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:49 am

Thanks, yeah, kind of figured as much. I'll try to source the proper stuff and keep my packing foam for its intended purpose (building a carry case for my x0x+MC202) then.
Jay200MPH

Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Return to Sound Production