Could someone explain the 500 series for me

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Could someone explain the 500 series for me

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:22 am

Or provide a good link with info. I've read several bits on it, but I'm still confused.

There are a few 500 series eq's I'm interested in, but I know I can't just buy those and be done. If I were to buy those and a lunchbox for instance, how do I wire them up ? Am I essentially creating a channel strip ? Is there a mount to use just one it's own without having a channel strip ?

Thanks guys and sorry for the dumb question.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Advertisement:

Re: Could someone explain the 500 series for me

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Radial page on 500 series

The racks provide individual I/O for each module (on the rear) as well as the power supply.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks. That link was a lot more straightforward than the two I found. So it's basically just a rack with psu and ins outs, and they're still separate modules unless I patch them. Exactly what I wanted to know.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Anyone here using this kind of setup ?
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 pm

I've got vague plans of making some 500 series stuff in the future but there are a bunch of things that I'll use more and actually make money from that I intend to spend my cash on first. A nice little 500 series rack would be a luxury for me, but one I still intend on having eventually.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby tomorrowstops » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:29 pm

I use a lunchbox at work. It's an API 6 space. Its only got a couple of Deresser's in it right now. Next on the list is a pair of API 550a's, if not also a pair of API 550b's. I've tracked with a couple of 500 series preamps before, I think API 525's and maybe something from Purple Audio. Its all great stuff and the format is super solid. Once you get over the initial expense of buying the actual lunch box, and if your savvy buying used stuff, it can be pretty cheap to fill. It's really the same as the 'modular bug' though - empty spaces begging you to fill!

Are you thinking about getting a rig for your home setup?
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:34 am

Yes, thinking about it for using at home. Stab, are you putting it off only because you have other pres and EQ's so it isn't a priority, or is it another reason ? If I were thinking about getting an EQ & preamp would it be a decent investment ? I haven't had in outboard gear since 2011 so right now I am all in the box.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:44 am

I'm putting it off cause I've already got a really good channel strip in the Sebatron Thorax and the pres in my RME are really nice and clean, so I've got five channels of really good pres already. I do 99% of my EQ and compression ITB with the McDSP plugins so I don't really need that outboard.

Most of the work I do is either recording bands for someone else to mix or mixing stuff other people have recorded. For the former I just try to get it sounding good with mic positioning and then give them something neutral to work with, for the latter I would have to run stuff out and through another DA/AD stage to do it outboard and I'm not convinced the benefits would be worth it.

When you say a decent investment what do you mean? Like something you can sell later on and make money? Don't think so. It would be a good investment if you could get more work just by having it than you would if you didn't, or it made enough of an improvement to your tracks that you increase the money you're making by more than the amount that it cost.

I reckon that 90% of 500 series stuff is sold to people who just want really nice stuff. Nothing wrong with that, that's why I will want it. But as it's a luxury there are a bunch of other things I'd be better off getting before hand, like mics, this digital desk I've got my eye on, some software upgrades, a small PA system, a new car, getting merch made, holiday to europe in June etc. ;)

When I do take the plunge I'm looking at a bunch of http://classicapi.com stuff, the plan is to basically make myself a little 8 channel modular mixer. To use as a summing mixer with EQ but mostly just as a little project to keep me happy. I don't fool myself into thinking that if I have that all of a sudden everyone will start buying heaps of my music of people will be throwing money at me to mix their records, but it will still be nice.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby hyphen nation » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:58 am

Absolutely have plans for getting one.
Just trying to find the right time to spend a lot of Money.

I am planning on an getting a lunch box. The modules I am saving for:

Neve 1073LB + Neve 2264ALB: class A preamp and dynamic
API 512C _ API 527: Super classic API set up.
Inward Connections Brute: great vocal compressor
Helios Type 69-500: another classic, Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones recorded on them…

Really my biggest dilemma is I can't afford all of the above as stereo pairs, so it's a question of which parts I get first.

Sooo much good stuff being made in this format now. Arguably better than getting individual rack mounted gear.
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:51 am

Thanks for the tips and detail Stab... It's starting to sound like solething that wouldn't necessarily improve my current situation that much. I'm using the Apogee duet, so I have pretty good pres on there as well as some good plugins. Perhaps it'd be wiser to invest in more instruments/ mics when I finally have extra cash.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to Sound Production