warming up a mix?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: warming up a mix?

Postby phesago » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 pm

Cruel Hoax's advice is stellar, I thoroughly enjoyed that!

How come no one has mentioned cilantro? God damn that goes well in chili.
Time for updates: pro-1 x2, Xpander, 808, mopho, SEM, PolyE, Voyager, Fr-Revo x2, XS, DRM MK3, KP3x2, mf104z x2, mf105m, mf103, space/time-factor, t3, nord g1..(plus other effects/sequencers/samplers and other shit).
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Advertisement:

Re: warming up a mix?

Postby Cruel Hoax » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:33 am

Okay, if it's about chili now, the chorizo is a given, tallow.. Also, a little bit of unsweetened cocoa (and maybe coffee, but watch the acidity!)

Ooh, mango sounds great. Infinity Curve! Just used apricots in a brioche under pineapple jerked pork, so I guess I'm on a fruit-in-savory-dishes kick. Never woulda thunk crushed walnuts would do it, though. Huh!

Plugin-wise, PSP's Vintage Warmer isn't a bad compressor on the 2-mix. It even has a wet/dry control, to leave some dynamics unsquished. I don't use it for final "loudness" so very much, but it can add a nice glue, if you add it early in your mixing process and "mix into it." Compare and contrast the single-band and multi-band modes: single-band is more audible (not a bad thing for aggressive music) whilst multi-band is more transparent (not a bad thing for smoother music.)

I must be the only guy who isn't a fan of the SSL dynamics, either in hardware or software. I prefer a Trident or a Neve, if we're gonna talk console channel strips. Give me a camera with a little pleasant distortion over a "perfect" image many times, if the object is to capture vibe and attitude.

-Hoax

Edit: dammit, my cilantro plants are succumbing to root-rot. None for me yet!
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Previous

Return to Sound Production