Resident Audio---new Thunderbolt audio interface

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Resident Audio---new Thunderbolt audio interface

Postby meatballfulton » Wed May 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Resident Audio Thunderbolt 4

World's first bus powered 4x4 Thunderbolt interface (so they claim). Coming on the heels of the UA Apollo Twin and Zoom TAC2, looks like mfrs are starting to take Thunderbolt seriously. Good news for Mac users!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Advertisement:

Re: Resident Audio---new Thunderbolt audio interface

Postby silviu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:06 pm

I am very curious if these first-generation thunderbolt audio interfaces actually provide any latency improvement over firewire. They seem a little bit silly when there are boatloads of cheap firewire interfaces available used that pretty much all work with the thunderbolt-firewire dongle.
silviu

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Pure Thunderbolt is basically PCIe extended outside of the box, so potentially it could be lower latency. As always, it still depends on the device drivers as well as the actual hardware design.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Postby SeventhStar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am

This looked nice until I looked up the price ($500). I am not going to pay more money for a mac audio/midi interface, than I did for my synth.
SeventhStar

Gear: Sequential MULTI-TRAK, DARK STAR, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 pm

I remember in the late 80s when buying a computer, MIDI interface and sequencing software cost more than a synth :(
meatballfulton

Return to Sound Production