nord lead 1 vs 2

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

nord lead 1 vs 2

Postby sonen » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Does the origional nord lead have the ability to split the keyboard into two sounds (bass on the low octaves strings on the high) or is this only available on the newer models? Also is the sound engine and keyboard the same on ver 1 and 2? Someone told me that clavia cut some corners on later models to keep costs down mainly on the keyboard platter. Is this true?

Thanks in advance

http://www.myspace.com/sonen
http://www.sonenmusic.com
sonen

Advertisement:

Re: nord lead 1 vs 2

Postby Synthprophet » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Soundwise it is commonly said that an actual change in the sound happened when the mk3 came on the market, but thats due to the fact that another team worked on the soundengine, instead of reusing the old one. The 2x for instance doesn't weight near as much as the mk2, so I don't know what the changed. They must have simplified some parts, however the sound is still the same as the older ones, besides that improvement they did to the audio part.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron
Synthprophet

Gear: Shimano with 9 levels

Postby sonen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:21 am

do you know if you can split the keyboard on a Nord Lead 1 like you can on the 2 and 3?

thanks
sonen

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am

You could try reading these. If you don't know of it, SOS is a good resource.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Synthprophet » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:18 am

Im not too familiar with the first Nord Lead, but I had a look in the manual, and it didn't say anything about split, only layering. I don't know but maybe it was left out due to the standard low polyphony.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron
Synthprophet

Gear: Shimano with 9 levels

Postby shendo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:39 pm

On a nord lead 1 you can not split the keyboard, except on the percussion parts that are split 8 ways amongst the white keys CDE triggers one sound in each octave and FGAB triggers another sound in each octave and since there are 4 octaves, you get 8 different sounds.
Thats all. I havent played a 2 or 2x so I cannot comment about the sound quality.
Chris
Novation X station, Motif Rack, NordLead/Electro, Juno-1, Evolver , Moogerfoogers
shendo

Gear: Ableton Live/ Nord Lead1/ Electro/AJ1/ Moog LP /Moogerfoogers/Stomp Boxes/Vermona DRM1 III/motif rack
Band: NONE

Postby shapeling » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:22 am

i prefer the one. the 2 actually feels more analog, which in this case, i rather like that biting NORD quality. i find the same when comparing the nord modular g1, to the g2. the first generations just sound unlike anything else. not trying to flame users of the later models, any nord is a good nord. you can't go wrong when you go red:)
AKAIs950,NORDlead,modular,CRUMARt1/c,DAVESMITHevolver, FENDERrhodes73,KORGms10,z1,er1,ea1,micro,kp2,MOOGmini,source,ROLANDvsynth,jx10p,jx8p,jx3p,juno106,alphajuno1,tr-808,tr72(circuitbent),svc-350,jp8080,rs09,YAMAHAcs60,a3000
shapeling

Gear: too much gear:) my favs: MOOG Mini, Source, DAVE SMITH Evolver, NORD Lead, KORG Z1, ER1, Stage Echo, ROLAND TR-808, SVC-350, V-Synth FENDER Rhodes 73
Band: Sorrow Has A Perfect End

Return to Synth Shootouts