Blofeld vs XT?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Blofeld vs XT?

Postby masstronaut » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:28 pm

And it has two mod envelops (in addition to the amp and filter envelopes) with ADS1DS2R and various looping modes.
masstronaut

Advertisement:

Postby 8bit9bot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 pm

the blofeld doesnt have wavetable degradation features... but the xt doesnt have the ppg upper wavetables... what would a fellow do to get both in one box? i suppose you could use a pc program to add "user defined" wavetables and add mock-ups of the ppg upper wavetables to your xt... right?

how different is the "ppg filter" emulation on blofeld from the filters on the xt/microwave?
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby masstronaut » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:04 pm

The Blofeld has a 'Brilliance' setting on each osc:

Wavetables are using 64 harmonics. In this case
Brilliance can add harmonics for lower frequencies.
Higher Brilliance values come close to the sound
synthesis process of the earlier wavetable synthesizers as
PPG Wave and Waldorf Wave. The Waldorf Microwave
II/XT offers a similar parameter called „Quantize“.
masstronaut

Postby aeon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 pm

Joey wrote:think of the blofeld as more of a successor to the Q series rather than the microwave...

Exactly right, for this is what the Blofeld is. That said, the areas they further developed seem quite tasty to me, and address the issues I had with the Q Rack I once owned.

Joey wrote:if you want the XT sound, go for the XT or any of the other microwaves

Yep - these are the true wavetable machines. While the Q and Blofeld have wavetables, they are 16-bit and smooth, and result in a more refined sound. The MicroWaves have rougher, 8-bit wavetables with the sound of "digital artifacts."

I much prefer the sound of the XTk filters to those of the Q. I haven't used the Blofeld, so I can't really comment on them aside from what I have heard in demos - a great improvement on the Q, especially as it concerns drive/dirt.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Postby 8bit9bot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:59 am

masstronaut wrote:The Blofeld has a 'Brilliance' setting on each osc:

Wavetables are using 64 harmonics. In this case
Brilliance can add harmonics for lower frequencies.
Higher Brilliance values come close to the sound
synthesis process of the earlier wavetable synthesizers as
PPG Wave and Waldorf Wave. The Waldorf Microwave
II/XT offers a similar parameter called „Quantize“.

i had a microwave ii and it had 2 parameters for digital artifacts:
aliasing and timequant...

i guess there is no way to crank up the aliasing on the blofeld... but the timequant effect is more important anyway (in my opinion) because it makes each step of the wavetable sound more animated... if that makes sense

edit: the "upperwaves" wavetable is not possible to simulate with the microwaves because it extends the 64 waves to 128 waves per wavetable... im not sure if the upperwaves function the way they do on the "wavesim vst" but you are supposed to be able to add those extra 64 waves to any of the wavetables by toggling an option in the "digital" menu
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby 8bit9bot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:37 pm

i was just reading the blofeld manual... it looks like it does not include the "phase" setting that was on the microwave - the phase setting should be useful for ring mod especially... you can get a completely different sound by changing the modulator or carrier phase in ringmod... if im wrong then go ahead and point that out... but the blofeld manual does not mention phase at all
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts