Korg R3 vs. Alesis Ion

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg R3 vs. Alesis Ion

Postby nbellum » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Within my price range I have narrowed my choices down to 2 possible choices for my first synth. I have done plenty of research and viewed every video on YouTube with these synths in them. I plan on using it in a band similar to Fear Factory, In Flames, and Deadsy. In other words synth/industrial rock/metal. Which one would be best for my interests. As we already have a bassist on guitar I am looking for the best leads out of these 2.

I also realize that the Ion has been discontinued and the R3 has not, so if I need some support (as it is my first synth) then that will also be a factor. Also there is not a page for the R3 on VS.
nbellum

Advertisement:

Re: Korg R3 vs. Alesis Ion

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 pm

R3
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby mung » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:54 am

So I had an offer to trade my Korg R3 for this guy's Alesis Ion. Should I?
mung

Gear: Nord Electro, Yamaha DX 7, Alesis Ion, Crumar Orchestrator, Roland Juno-G, Korg R3, Casiotone 7000, Edirol PCR-M80, Boss RE20, Boss RT20, Boss GT-8

Postby Clavier » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:15 am

I wouldn't.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45
Clavier

Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:26 am

mung wrote:So I had an offer to trade my Korg R3 for this guy's Alesis Ion. Should I?

Depends on if you want a synth that sounds like an R3 or a synth that sounds like an Ion. 3 octaves or 4? Rough or smooth?

If you're not particularly into the R3 and want something that's smoother sounding and with more of a 'vintage' vibe, then go for it.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby mung » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
mung wrote:So I had an offer to trade my Korg R3 for this guy's Alesis Ion. Should I?

Depends on if you want a synth that sounds like an R3 or a synth that sounds like an Ion. 3 octaves or 4? Rough or smooth?

If you're not particularly into the R3 and want something that's smoother sounding and with more of a 'vintage' vibe, then go for it.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I do want something smoother, the R3 is nice but it's a bit too harsh at times. 4 octaves is also a selling point for me. Also, I like the fact that the Ion is more hands-on than the R3, I hate having to use the software patch editor when I want to sculpt out a sound, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a hardware synth.

I'll make a decision by tomorrow. I might end up paying him $375 for it and keeping the R3 instead, but I don't know if I need two VA's.
mung

Gear: Nord Electro, Yamaha DX 7, Alesis Ion, Crumar Orchestrator, Roland Juno-G, Korg R3, Casiotone 7000, Edirol PCR-M80, Boss RE20, Boss RT20, Boss GT-8

Postby redchapterjubilee » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:19 pm

If he's just asking $375 you should buy the Ion and keep both. The Korg and Alesis sounds are very different.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby tallowwaters » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:21 am

locking this as you have another vs thread running.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Return to Synth Shootouts