DX7 or DX7IIFD

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

DX7 or DX7IIFD

Postby Fogflip » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:02 am

Well to start of im new here but use the side for reference all the time. I have been looking to purchase a DX7 and i have found a IIFD model at a good price. My questions are can all DX7 patches be used on this also im fuzzy on what other differences their are besides some general appearance ones. Am i better off buying an original DX7 or this one? Thank you
Take it sleazy
Fogflip

Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

Advertisement:

Re: DX7 or DX7IIFD

Postby Joey » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:50 am

DX7IIFD = stereo output, no membrane buttons, and a disk drive

its a no brainer
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby adamstan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:53 am

Joey wrote:DX7IIFD = stereo output, no membrane buttons, and a disk drive

And ability to layer sounds, and really fat four-voice unison

its a no brainer

Yes. Get it if you can.
Living in the '80s ;-)
adamstan

Gear: Yamaha DX7IIFD, MO6, QY-70, PSR-S750, PSR-2000, TYROS, Electone D85, Electone E50, DIY polysynth, KORG Poly61

Postby Fogflip » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:21 am

thanks guys for the help. also to be a noob will original dx7 patches load fine onto IIFD?
Take it sleazy
Fogflip

Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

Postby Carey M » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:34 am

Yes, I believe you original DX7 patches will load fine to a IIFD.

I've been planning on getting a DX7 too, and have a related question...

Since I'll be using the DX as a controller too, anybody know if there any differences between the DX7 and DX7II keyboards? I remember reading somewhere that the original couldn't output full velocity values (0-127)... There are plenty of DX7s available, but if the II-version has a better keybed, I think I'll wait and get one of those instead (the layering is obviously a big plus too).

- CM
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby OriginalJambo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:36 pm

The original DX7 is also supposed to sound grittier thanks to the lower quality D/A converters, but beyond that there's no reason a mark II wouldn't fit the bill, and then some!
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Postby OriginalJambo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:40 pm

Carey M wrote:I remember reading somewhere that the original couldn't output full velocity values (0-127)... There are plenty of DX7s available, but if the II-version has a better keybed, I think I'll wait and get one of those instead (the layering is obviously a big plus too).

I think another member here felt the mkI has a better keyboard action (although I may very well be mistaken so don't quote me on it), but it definitely doesn't provide the full range for keyboard velocity.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Postby Yoozer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:22 pm

I've owned both. I've had 2 DX7s at the same time (did the backlight mod on one) and I still have the DX7IIFD now. I just love the way these things look and sound - truly, class.

The IIFD is friendlier in operation and more comfortable to work with and has the cleaner sound (and unison. You wouldn't believe what unison could do with FM synths).

However, the keyboard of this thing kind of makes clacking noises (it feels pretty nice though) while the original DX7 is much quieter, plus it's probably easier to get cartridges for, too (yes, having a floppy drive and a computer with patches makes it kind of weird for me to want a cartridge - but it's just a dozen times faster).

IIFDs fetch pretty high prices (well, at least around here) so if you can get one for a good price, I'd do it.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Bitexion » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Get the IIFD if you can. The menu system is cleaned up quite a bit from the original DX7. Not so much clicking throught parameters, for instance the 4 envelope levels are on the same screen on the II, instead of one parameter per screen on the I, so you have to click 4 times to set the levels, then 4 times more to set each level's time. Whereas on the II, you have all 4 EG levels and 4 EG times on their own screen, just step through them and set the values, and it's a ton easier to see the EG "shape" when you have all parameters on the same page.

Also some other menus are cleaned up. But it still has all the features so it should load normal DX7 sounds.
I have the DX7S, which is the engine of the mk1, but black/white DX7II buttons instead of the crappy membrane ones. It also has the cleaned-up menus. It's also all black with white text, no shit-brown plastic and bright green buttons :P
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Fogflip » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:42 pm

Thanks for even more awesome input what do you think is a fair price for IIFD
Take it sleazy
Fogflip

Postby Esus » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:19 am

Synth only (in great shape): $250USD.
Add Grey Matter E! card, maybe an additional $75-$100
Accessories (Breath Controller, pedal, case, stand, etc.) could add another $50-$75.
Make sure you know if the internal battery need to be replaced (assume that it does)--then negotiate from there...
Esus

Postby Clavier » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Two questions:

Would it be worthwhile to have both I and II?

Is the DX7S indentical to the mk1 DX7? (By that I mean, in every way except cosmetics.)
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45
Clavier

Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Postby Esus » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:53 pm

Clavier wrote:Would it be worthwhile to have both I and II?

Why not? All it takes is cash. :)
Esus

Postby Clavier » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:31 pm

I mean, without being redundant.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45
Clavier

Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Postby Esus » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:38 pm

Clavier wrote:I mean, without being redundant.

DX7I has membrane switches that have (had) a tendency to fail. It was noisier, had mono only output, heavy...
DX7II has better switches, higher resolution output, stereo outs...
The IIFD's floppy drive can replace RAM & ROM cartridges.
A II with the E! card replaces the original engine and gives you Octal (8 voice @ a time) voicing, a sequencer, and lots more.
If your goal is to faithfully recreate those Rick Springfield '80s classics, a DXI should suffice.
If you want to take advantage of what Yamaha learned in the following 4 years (including 3rd party developers), a DXIIFD/E! is essentially a I on steroids.

My point was, based on eBay & Craisgslist numbers I've seen, with a little patience and research, you could conceivably pick up both for about $500USD total--not exactly chump change, but not astronomical, either...
Esus

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts