DX7 or DX7IIFD

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: DX7 or DX7IIFD

Postby xpander » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Carey M wrote:Since I'll be using the DX as a controller too, anybody know if there any differences between the DX7 and DX7II keyboards? I remember reading somewhere that the original couldn't output full velocity values (0-127)... There are plenty of DX7s available, but if the II-version has a better keybed, I think I'll wait and get one of those instead (the layering is obviously a big plus too).

i think it's 1 to 100 for velocity. also, if i remember middle c on the dx7 is an octave off from that of other manufacturers.

fwiw, i strongly suggest going for the SY77 instead since they cost the same amount now; when the SY77 came out they were insanely expensive. i used a dx7IIFD w/E! since i was in elementary school, it's still at my parents' house. many fond memories with that keyboard, also the first keyboard i used as a MIDI controller.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Advertisement:

Postby Carey M » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:14 am

xpander wrote:fwiw, i strongly suggest going for the SY77 instead since they cost the same amount now

That makes perfect sense. I totally forgot about the SY77 and SY99...

- CM
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby rhino » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:27 am

irrc you need some kind of adaptor to use DX7 ram or rom carts. in the mk-II.
Route66studios.com has disc drives. i understand the originals went bad quite soon.

i got this mk-II-fd for like $17.00 (drive is missing), but yeh, if I was buying one for ME, SY-77s are going for $199 on craigslist, SY-99s are around $700-800, but they are one hell of a synth if you like to creat your own sounds.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby Clavier » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:40 am

What does a Grey matter card in a MkI DX7 do?
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45
Clavier

Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Postby Yoozer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:58 pm

From http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~bensondj/h ... .html#grey

The DX7 version gives:

# extra patch memory (with function data for EACH patch)
# optional ROM sounds from GMR, allowing 576 patches in a DX7
# patch mapping
# master contoller functions
# transmission on two midi channels
# stacking of sound (makes it thicker but only 8 note poly)
# ...and more...
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Clavier » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Yoozer wrote:From http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~bensondj/h ... .html#grey

The DX7 version gives:

# extra patch memory (with function data for EACH patch)
# optional ROM sounds from GMR, allowing 576 patches in a DX7
# patch mapping
# master contoller functions
# transmission on two midi channels
# stacking of sound (makes it thicker but only 8 note poly)
# ...and more...

Thanks for the info and the link! :D
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45
Clavier

Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Postby Pro5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:50 am

Late here but having tried both (and bought a IID) I would urge you to go with the II-D/II-FD. I find myself using it's extra features (missing from the mk1) more and more and it's what makes it as useful to me as it is. Mk1 would still be 'handy' to have around but is nowhere near as much potential. Also I do prefer the interface/bigger screen/real buttons on the mark 2 (though I guess you could get the buttons on the S version if you didn't want a full mk2).

Stereo output is important for me.. some of these patches I use really fly around your head and it would be lost in mono.

MK1 may sound grittier (?) but this is a DX7 we are talking about here where you should think about adding on some external effects anyway (some mild reverb/delay - maybe overdrive if you want grit) ;)
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby b3groover » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:39 am

I would third the recommendation for the SY77. It does everything the DX7/DX7-IID does and a whole lot more. You can load any DX7 patch right into it and there are thousands of them on the web. Plus you get resonant filters and (albeit kinda wonky sounding) onboard effects. Plus the ability to layer up to four six-operator FM voices per patch, more algorithms (42, iirc), more waveforms (other than sine) for the operators, more feedback routings, and AWM (Yamaha's sample-playback engine).

To me, that's a no-brainer! :)
b3groover

Band: THEO

Postby Pro5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:05 am

the 77 is a beauty... if FM+AWM is your bag (either/or)... a lot of people (me inc) wanted a 'pure FM' machine and esp a DX7 because well *insert completely pointless and totally emotional based purchasing decision here* :)

BUT YES.. if the OP has no particular interest in 'owning a classic' DX7 nor wanted one since childhood, and is more into the sounds he could get from FM itself then the 77 is probably a better bet (or even the F stuff). EIther way the DX7 II-D is still a beauty and not to be underestimated (in build quality alone it surpases all the SY synths that I've seen - inc my much newer SY85 which is pretty much plastic hell) - it also looks very nice on my stack compared to my '85 - but the '77 is a very nice looking machine itself (better than the 85 which is more 'normal' - suiting it's pure rompler status no doubt)

>update to now say I picked up an SY77.. scrub what I said before and just get one they are awesome :)
Last edited by Pro5 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby gcoudert » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Clavier wrote:Is the DX7S indentical to the mk1 DX7? (By that I mean, in every way except cosmetics.)

I have owned both and still own a Mark 1.

DX7 mark 1:
- maximum keyboard velocity is about 118
- heavier
- membrane buttons
- 32 patches (without E! Grey Matter or Sycologic MX01)
- one set of functions shared by all patches
- no unison mode
- display not backlit
- MIDI Out channel set to Ch. 1 (not adjustable without aforemention expansion board)
- Local On
- no micro tunings

DX7S
- full velocity keyboard
- lighter
- no membrane buttons
- 64 patches
- patch-related functions
- unison mode (really good)
- slightly cleaner sound but not overwhelmingly different
- backlit display
- assignable sliders
- full MIDI implementation and adjustable MIDI Out channel, incl. Local On/Off
- micro tunings

Both have a single Mono output. Original DX7 sysex banks can be imported into the DXS and DX7II(F)D. Although I love the Mk 1, I should NEVER have sold my DX7S.

Incidentally, I still have the original manual for the DX7S. If anybody is interested, make me an offer. Apart from the fact that the front/cover page is missing (!), it is in good condition.
Gilles C.
gcoudert

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts