DSI MEK vs. Blofeld

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

DSI MEK vs. Blofeld

Postby breitt » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:04 am

I just received my MEK and while I find many aspects of it intriguing, I am somewhat underwhelmed by its interface and sound. The Seq Edit function is, for me, a bit convoluted, especially having to input values with those fiddly endless encoders. The sound is OK, but having been spoiled on the analogue side of things with the Omega and the Voyager, I'm not overly impressed. I was hoping to add some "grit" to the rest of my setup, but the MEK's distortion, grunge and output hack just seem to be fizzy overkill. I was hoping for a more nuanced, controlled ability to create experimental, "dirty" soundscapes. I'm sure in more patient and capable hands, the MEK is a wonderful programming tool; I was just hoping for a bit more of an easily manipulated interface.

I'm considering a Blofeld as an alternative, since I already have a very capable sequencer with the Nemo, and the graphic display on the Blofeld combined with the matrix-style editing, looks like it might be easier to fathom than the Blofeld's display. (One other thing I don't like about the MEK is that it doesn't show you existing values for the parameters until you nudge a knob, sometimes resulting in the parameter mistakenly changing). The polyphony might also be a welcome addition to my setup.

Does anyone have any opinions/advice for me based on their experiences with the MEK or Blofeld and my esisting setup?
Last edited by breitt on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elektron Analog 4
breitt

Advertisement:

Re: DSI MEK vs. Blofeld

Postby hyphen nation » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 am

breitt wrote:I just received my MEK and while I find many aspects of it intriguing, I am somewhat underwhelmed by its interface and sound. The Seq Edit function is, for me, a bit convoluted, especially having to input values with those fiddly endless encoders. The sound is OK, but having been spoiled on the analogue side of things with the Omega and the Voyager, I'm not overly impressed. I was hoping to add some "grit" to the rest of my setup, but the MEK's distortion, grunge and output hack just seem to be fizzy overkill. I was hoping for a more nuanced, controlled ability to create experimental, "dirty" soundscapes. I'm sure in more patient and capable hands, the MEK is a wonderful programming tool; I was just hoping for a bit more of an easily manipulated interface.

I'm considering a Blofeld as an alternative, since I already have a very capable sequencer with the Nemo, and the graphic display on the Blofeld combined with the matrix-style editing, looks like it might be easier to fathom than the Blofeld's display. (One other thing I don't like about the Blofeld is that it doesn't show you existing values for the parameters until you nudge a knob, sometimes resulting in the parameter mistakenly changing). The polyphony might also be a welcome addition to my setup.

Does anyone have any opinions/advice for me based on their experiences with the MEK or Blofeld and my esisting setup?

You have pretty much summed up my feelings about it, though I would add that the envelopes kinda suck it too. I have had it for about 8 months, and I use it nightly because it's what I have. I have never really fallen completely in love. It's funny, because I know it has the Prophet VS waves for the digital side, but I have yet to make some of those insane vector synth sounds on it...I too, got super frustrated with those encoders just a few hours ago, and how hard would it be to put a command in the thing to delete all presets? I want a modern synth with keys in my studio mix, and haven't figured out how to replace it either...I may just try and sell it and pick up an LP even though I would love to get a voyager. I also dream of an xtk...Actuel had recommended that to me right before I bought the evolver, I wish I had listened...or ditch the keys all together, and get a MonoMachine...

From what I can tell the blofeld is a great machine [see other blofeld vs thread], but I unfortunately don't have one to compare it to for you, and it looks like you already have the Analog side covered...what about loading waves into your MnM, or finding a nice used Waldorf with lots of knobs? :D
Last edited by hyphen nation on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Re: DSI MEK vs. Blofeld

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:01 am

I have no problems getting experimental soundscape stuff out of my MEK, combined with a delay, but the desktop Evolver was the first synth I owned and I pretty much know Evolvers inside out.

If you don't click with it then maybe the Blofeld would be better, but I'd probably use it a bit more before you decide. I find the digital waves are often more interesting than the analogue ones, and sequencing the waveforms has a cool effect. The delay taps, feedback and bit reducer all have fairly small sweetspots so if you just pile them on you won't get good results.

I think the key to getting good results from Evolvers is to know it really well because there's a lot of stuff going on inside. Maybe download Anu Kirk's Evolver Guide (I think it's up on Carbon 111's website still) and go through that with the MEK and see if that changes what you think about it.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Return to Synth Shootouts