yamaha rs 7000 vs roland mv 8000

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

yamaha rs 7000 vs roland mv 8000

Postby dthestampede » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:11 am

i've been wanting a secondary sequencer for my setup. i mostly use a laptop running live for recording/ sequencing. i was between a rs7000 and a mv8000. i can get a deal on both right now and cant decide which. i've used a rm1x and digged UI/ workflow, so i'm sure i can get my head around the rs7000. mv8000 looks cool with the drum pads, large screen, monitor/mouse option and the nice roland effects. the mv8000 will cost me more just wondering if its worth it. compared to each other how are the ease of use, effects, versatility, and stability?
I am infected with noises in my brain, the sound of pain and it is constant. Soon I will release music so horrible that hopefully you too will be infected. Slayer, wolf eyes, johnny cash, justin timberlake f**king rock!
dthestampede

Advertisement:

Re: yamaha rs 7000 vs roland mv 8000

Postby Altitude » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:42 pm

if you liked the rm1x, you will have no problem with the RS. The sequencer engines are virtually identical except the RS has been improved and the sampler on that thing is excellent. The RS has 2 pads on it but you can easily connect the pads of your choice to it also. I used a MPD with my RM1x extensively
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby dthestampede » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:08 pm

how's sampling ease on these devices? editing? the roland throws me off because i have not had good luck figuring out anything they've released post early 80's. their UI usaully suck but the machine seems like a beast soo... still i think i'm leaning towards the rs unless somebody can convince me otherwise
I am infected with noises in my brain, the sound of pain and it is constant. Soon I will release music so horrible that hopefully you too will be infected. Slayer, wolf eyes, johnny cash, justin timberlake f**king rock!
dthestampede

Postby stikygum » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 am

The RS is just as easy if not easier to use than the RM1X. Had both. There is just more to do on the RS which you can get used to. The MV is more like a linear composition boards, like a computer. The RS is more of a loopers boards to me. The RS has those cool midi effects and can be tweaked quite a bit. Not sure of the MV, but I like Logic which I why I sold the RS. I almost bought an MV but decided Logic is more flexible and I don't need or want a hardware sequencer. The RS is more fun on the fly I'd imagine.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby Zamise » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:53 pm

My vote for RS7000... I always vote RS7000 tho.

I could write novels on the RS, but don't know the MVs much really, just fiddled with them once or twice in a shop. I think if your a tweak head go RS7000 (look at all those knobs they do stuff you know), MV if your wanting more real time sampling capabilities. Not that either is bad in either area or the greatest, just that their focus seem a bit more unballanced from each other in these areas. Sequencing, production and performance wise I'd think it might be more of a stand off with plusses and minuses going to each, but they'd probably even out and thats when your mindset becomes more important to your workflow and liking or hating one more over the other on these units.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Return to Synth Shootouts