JD-800 or Juno-G for ambient?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

JD-800 or Juno-G for ambient?

Postby korposp » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Hello,
i would like to buy some gear (hardware) for making ambient style music - a lot of darker drones layering with some foggy samples in it and some string or reverb piano is fine too :-)
I can buy for the same money mint Roland JD800, which has a lot of knobs, nice sound but has no arp/seq nor sampler, or a new Juno G, which has everything, but i don't know almost nothing about it's sound and soundscaping possibilities.
I need advice, please.
Thank you.

Pavel

PS: For basic sequencing i can use emx-1.
korposp

Advertisement:

Re: JD-800 or Juno-G for ambient?

Postby braincandy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Both would be ok. I say this as someone who's owned a Juno-G and has a JD-990 (enhanced JD-800 in a rack). I'm not sure where you're located, but your best bet is to try out a Juno-G in a store and determine whether or not it suits your needs. As for a JD-800, you can check out demos on YouTube. You really have to hear them for yourself first.

As for piano--the piano sounds on a JD-800/990 are awful, but you have to consider when the instrument was made. Same with the stock piano sounds on the Juno-G. You would have to purchase the separate piano expansion board for the Juno-G if you want really good piano sounds and those are going to run an additional $300. For the price of a new Juno-G, you should be able to get near a used Fantom X6, which comes with better piano sounds without having to buy the expansion board.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby alan partridge » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Obviously listen to the demos first. JD-800's an ambient classic IMHO. Why not get yourself get hooked to a computer ( second-hand if you can't afford a new one ) for your sequencing and orchestral sounds on a softsynth etc, and get the JD-800.

Really all depends on if you want a) a quick & basic self-contained set-up where you won't need much more gear to lay down tracks ( but much inferior sound imho ) or b) yer classic ambient machine that you can hook up to a computer and other gear later if you're not so pushed for time etc.
alan partridge

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Also, be sure that you can do without aftertouch if you're going the Juno-G route... That's what is stopping me from getting one. I wish they made a module of it...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby braincandy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:02 am

Ashe, the Sonic Cell is a desktop module with the Fantom X series engine and the Fantom Xr is the rack version for the X-series. The Juno-G has a slightly cut-down engine of the Fantom X.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:18 am

Oh? maybe i should look at the sonic cell again...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby Z » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:45 am

Ashe37 wrote:Also, be sure that you can do without aftertouch if you're going the Juno-G route... That's what is stopping me from getting one. I wish they made a module of it...

The JD-800's keyboard is notorious for losing its aftertouch sensitivity after a while. I've already replaced the keyboard on my "home" JD-800 and plan to replace the keyboard on my "office" JD soon. I like to hook up an expression pedal and assign it to aftertouch.

I'd take the JD over just about any synth for any genre anytime.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Johnny Lenin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:00 am

The JG is a great bread and butter board. It has a fine range of acoustic patches -- great pianos and organs -- and some pretty good synth patches. Of the latter, the pads are better than the leads, which would good for ambient music. Having said that, it's not the most amenable synth for getting into the patches and getting your hands dirty. It can be done, and can be immensely rewarding, but it's more science than art.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Postby korposp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:46 am

Thank you very much to all for advices and experiences. I will study some basics in Juno-G manual and try it in my local store.
korposp

Return to Synth Shootouts