Nord Wave Vs Nord Lead 3 vs nord G2

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Nord Wave Vs Nord Lead 3 vs nord G2

Postby Joey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:12 am

so my bandmate has a nord lead 3 that he has left with me for a while now that i absolutely love

i've been considering picking up one of my own, but then I realized the modular and the wave exist

so my questions

Nord Modular G2:
Is it possible to make patches on this thing without the computer? or do you absolutely have to use the software editor to assemble modules?

Nord Wave:
features aside, does it retain the same raw sound (ie filters and oscillators, obviously excluding the new types) as the nord lead 3?

will i miss the interface?

anyone care to add their two cents?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Advertisement:

Re: Nord Wave Vs Nord Lead 3 vs nord G2

Postby wickfut » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:06 am

I used to have the first nord modular.

You can't make patches on it without a PC. You will have to find yourself a nice cheap laptop to program it once you say goodbye to XP.

I didn't really use mine much , the time vs sound quality trade off just wasn't worth the programming effort. I had great intentions when I bought it , these were soon destroyed by fiddling with mouse pointers and tiny little knob adjustments on a horrible looking interface screen.

Why don't you try out the nord g2 demo on the clavia site ?
My old stuff from yonks ago (1999-2001)...
click me for lofi music player
click me for main page

Somebody somewhere in the UK must have a decent condition, none modded tb303 to flog me ?
wickfut

Gear: Access Virus Ti 61 Key, Roland TR-909, Clavia Nord Rack, Yamaha TX-7, Vermona DRM1 Mk3, Novation Supernova 2, Akai S6000, TC Powercore stuff

Postby Yekuku » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:49 am

Nord Modular G2
Is it possible to make patches on this thing without the computer? or do you absolutely have to use the software editor to assemble modules?

No it is not. The editor is needed in order to assemble the modules.

Nord Wave:
features aside, does it retain the same raw sound (ie filters and oscillators, obviously excluding the new types) as the nord lead 3?

U can load any audio file u want and use it as an oscillator. It has a raw sound just like the other nords but this depends on the waveforms that u are using.
One big drawback is that there are not any BPM-sync functions available.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby iProg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:19 am

I'd prefer the Nord Wave 100 times over both of the others...
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Postby SickMonkey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 am

Yekuku wrote:
Nord Modular G2

No it is not. The editor is needed in order to assemble the modules.

But the values on the settings of the modules can still be changed (as long as they have a CC assigned), right? Can those new "patch variations" then be saved as a new patch directly on the G2?
SickMonkey

Postby Yekuku » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:30 am

But the values on the settings of the modules can still be changed (as long as they have a CC assigned), right? Can those new "patch variations" then be saved as a new patch directly on the G2?

Of course they can be changed and saved as a new patch.
The problem is that u can not add new modules / redesign the modular setup without a computer.
This synth has great sonic capabilities and its one of the best tools for FM synthesis.
But I find computer related hardware/synths to have a limited life-cycle and since they are OS depended , they get abandoned too soon.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:50 am

If I were getting a G2 I'd also pick up a netbook that ran XP to edit it with. You don't need a great deal of processing power so it'd be ideal, but you might want to factor that into the price which might make the Wave more appealing.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Joey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:51 am

ok so i'll just get a nord lead 3... the g2 is not what i'm into, and the wave is prohibitively expensive

i have an XP notebook, but i dont want to use a computer to edit a hardware synth, seems kind of counter productive

like buying a knob interface to control your softsynths but in the reverse... both ideas are retarted

if i want a software modular i'll get reaktor... if i want hardware i'll get stand alone hardware

also, stab, you still havent told me what you thought of my track you fucker :)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 am

Ooops, went away for the weekend and forgot. Wonder what else I forgot about...
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby SickMonkey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Just want to point out that the G2 editor now supposedly works for Vista and macIntels, in case somebody didn't know...

This will probably be the last (official) update for the editor, though (since the G2 is discontinued).
SickMonkey

Postby matia » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:23 am

The G2 is a monster. You can build a Nord Lead 3 inside of it if you wanted to. I am accustomed to working on hardware analog modular synths and have had no problem with the editor at all. It's very friendly and eloquent. The G2 is superb and allows you to go into very abstract territories architecturally as well as sonically. I would not overlook this synth. What I end up doing is program some patches, save them and design all the controls so that there is a sensical flow to the panel knobs and then when I'm writing I can call them up and not even touch the computer (you don't have to have it hooked up to the computer to work).

I love the nord ... just massive. Sold the Andromeda to buy it and some other things and am not disappointed at all.

-matia
matia

Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Return to Synth Shootouts