blofeld vs micro q

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

blofeld vs micro q

Postby polyklinik » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi! I would like to know wich are the differences in the sound. I know the specs (2 wavetable on microq, no filter distortion, etc...) i have a Blofeld, i love that, but i need more outputs. i don't use wavetables only the analog modelled oscs. i asked the waldorf support and they wrote, the Blofeld has better converters. Have anybody tested those side by side?
polyklinik

Gear: VCO, VCF, THC, LSD

Advertisement:

Re: blofeld vs micro q

Postby DocT » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:53 pm

I have both and don't hear differences in the converter quality, or, in other words, I can't judge if the general differences in the sound character are caused by these. Imho the Blofeld sounds a little rounder, more polished than the µQ.
DocT

Postby masstronaut » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:15 pm

The filter drive kind of rules though don't it. :)
masstronaut

Postby DocT » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm

masstronaut wrote:The filter drive kind of rules though don't it. :)

Yess. Blodigy

:oops:

Drums from Spectrasonics Stylus.
DocT

Postby polyklinik » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:03 pm

polish, roundy. this is why i love the blofeld. if it's real i cannot make the same killer sounds. let me known if its not true.
polyklinik

Gear: VCO, VCF, THC, LSD

Postby masstronaut » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:20 pm

It's weird but I find the sound (of the Blofeld) kind of fizzy and distant, not really that well defined, like it's being viewed through a frosted glass. Maybe that's the 'Waldorf sound', it's not unpleasant or bad, just is what it is.

Not really had enough opportunity to examine the µQ sound up close so I'm not offering a comparison there.
masstronaut

Postby DocT » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 pm

polyklinik wrote:polish, roundy. this is why i love the blofeld. if it's real i cannot make the same killer sounds. let me known if its not true.

The basic sound character isn't extremely different, but it's not quite identically too. I have a bunch of µQ sounds on my outdated homepage. Maybe they are not ideal for you because you apparently prefer the "analog" side while I love the digital weirdness, but evetually they are good enough to judge some tonal characteristics.

A question: if you need more outs, why not buy a 2nd Blo instead of a µQ? ;)
DocT

Postby GeneralBigbag » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:28 pm

masstronaut wrote:It's weird but I find the sound (of the Blofeld) kind of fizzy and distant, not really that well defined, like it's being viewed through a frosted glass. Maybe that's the 'Waldorf sound', it's not unpleasant or bad, just is what it is.

That's funny - I find that with the Blofeld, I make leads which cut through the mix so much that I turn their levels down way more than I would have expected to need to...

And I think DocT is right - 2nd Blofeld would get you filter drive, plus the interface on the uQ is a pain in the ass.
virb.com/ookpikk
GeneralBigbag

Postby Joey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:40 pm

how about going for a full blown Q?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby masstronaut » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:That's funny - I find that with the Blofeld, I make leads which cut through the mix so much that I turn their levels down way more than I would have expected to need to...

Yeah it's not so much that, obviously it can produce strong tones, but when there is a lot going on harmonically, particularly with drive and FM, there can be a tendency for the overall sound to become a bit of an indistinct fizzy digital mess, maybe to do with the internal bit depth. Like it's pretty and frosty and you can tell there's lots going on there but you can't really quite pick out the details. I guess that's just often the way with 'VA's, not always though.
masstronaut

Postby masstronaut » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Joey wrote:how about going for a full blown Q?

Yeah sod it, just go for a Q+ Phoenix Edition, you know you want to. :)
masstronaut

Postby Roby31 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:09 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:And I think DocT is right - 2nd Blofeld would get you filter drive, plus the interface on the uQ is a pain in the ass.

Am I the only one who actually loves the uQ's interface? Polished, clear, logical...I needed a very little time to get used to it and I can work pretty fast with it. The small amount of knobs really isn't a trouble while using it in studio. And there are editors too, and the MidiQuest XL which makes it more of a Micro Q TI in your sequencer :P

Anyway, I'd go for the Blofeld IF I really needed more outputs and not a different sound. The Micro Q probably sounds similar with the distinctive and beautiful Waldorf sound, but it wouldn't be the same as having two Blofelds; if you ALSO want multiple outs, and you can do with the 2 different sounding synthesizers, get a Micro Q. I know I will definitely buy a Blofeld when I have the money, (by that time, Stromberg will probably be out :lol: ), I like it very much and it's so easy to carry it around so I understand the idea of getting 2 of them to have more outputs.

Maybe you should ask more other things to DocT (don't hate me :D )

editing: I now notice that in your first post you stated "no filter distortion" about the Micro Q... Micro Q has filter distortion (drive) with 0 to 127 amount range; Blofeld has various curves, whilst uQ has only one ;)
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah
Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Return to Synth Shootouts