Interesting combos 1: Yamaha DX-100 + Korg M1 vs Roland D-50

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Interesting combos 1: Yamaha DX-100 + Korg M1 vs Roland D-50

Postby rickyd » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:26 am

Ok, so far I don't THINK anyone has done a thread trend like this one on this site yet, so I guess let me be the first to do so. This is about taking the limitations of 2 popular synths and combining them to make new sounds and seeing how it fairs up against a "competing" synth with similar but better sounds.

Ok, I've read that people would overall prefer the Roland D-50 over the Korg m1, but let's say the Korg M1 layered with a Yamaha DX-100. AI + FM synthesis vs LA synthesis.

PS - The reason I chose the Yamaha DX-100 instead of the DX-7 in this comparison is because the DX-100 isn't mentioned all that much like it's big brother, so just wanted to give it a chance. Maybe the DX-7 would fit better though but let's try somethin different for a change.
rickyd

Advertisement:

Re: Interesting combos 1: Yamaha DX-100 + Korg M1 vs Roland D-50

Postby Pro5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:40 am

Well a strange combo indeed.. I've got all 3 (ok a DX7 IId instead of a DX100).

If I layered my M1 with my DX-7... I would still be aware that I had samples playing back (without decent filters) from the M1. The DX-7 on the other hand, sounds great (no - not the 'epiano 80s presets') I'm talking those weird evolving dark evil industrial textures that it does so well.. esp the mk2 in layered mode, and also more 'solo lead' type sounds that it can do nicely in mono/solo/portamento mode. The M1 I think would just 'muddy' that purity somewhat.

The D-50 already does similar to what you describe (or can) but does it more organically and with expression. And of course you just need the one synth AND it also happens to be one of the most beautiful looking digital synths ever created (feels nice and looks nice).

Of course DX-100 is a different thing... I can't see it competing with the D-50 just by tacking on a pure rompler though. And being 4 op I guess it's great basses and other cool sounds would be more limited than just buying a D-50 and a 'full 6 op' DX7 (either mark but esp a mk2).

And as I've seen DX100s going for more than I paid for my DX7 II-D (probably the 'talkbox' thing, or the cz-101 portable/cute synth syndrome causing that) I'd always prefer to spend my money on a D-50 and a DX7 II then an M1 and a DX100... YMMV :)
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Re: Interesting combos 1: Yamaha DX-100 + Korg M1 vs Roland D-50

Postby rickyd » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Pro5 wrote:Well a strange combo indeed.. I've got all 3 (ok a DX7 IId instead of a DX100).

If I layered my M1 with my DX-7... I would still be aware that I had samples playing back (without decent filters) from the M1. The DX-7 on the other hand, sounds great (no - not the 'epiano 80s presets') I'm talking those weird evolving dark evil industrial textures that it does so well.. esp the mk2 in layered mode, and also more 'solo lead' type sounds that it can do nicely in mono/solo/portamento mode. The M1 I think would just 'muddy' that purity somewhat.

The D-50 already does similar to what you describe (or can) but does it more organically and with expression. And of course you just need the one synth AND it also happens to be one of the most beautiful looking digital synths ever created (feels nice and looks nice).

Of course DX-100 is a different thing... I can't see it competing with the D-50 just by tacking on a pure rompler though. And being 4 op I guess it's great basses and other cool sounds would be more limited than just buying a D-50 and a 'full 6 op' DX7 (either mark but esp a mk2).

And as I've seen DX100s going for more than I paid for my DX7 II-D (probably the 'talkbox' thing, or the cz-101 portable/cute synth syndrome causing that) I'd always prefer to spend my money on a D-50 and a DX7 II then an M1 and a DX100... YMMV :)

Lol, yes man it was a veeeeery strangely interesting combo, but sometimes you gotta think outside of the box, so that is why I threw the ol' DX100 in the equation. Honestly, I think I would've done better saying the DX100 + Korg Wavestation vs the Roland D50. I think that would've been a better "Versus" topic, but there is nothing wrong with trying something different. After all, the whole point of this topic is about the poor man's way of experiementation with the synths you already own to try to get new sounds, or similar sounds to a competing synth, using a similar synthesis method. Of course if you wanted a better synth, then you can just go and get it, but this is about working with what you got.

While the M1 may just be a ROMpler, it does have alot of nice and ethereal pads though, maybe not warm like a D-50 or lush like a Wavestation, but nice still. Also remember the fact that you don't have to use the presets, it may not generate sound like a real "Synth" but at least with it, you can combine sounds to make your own. :)

The M1 does have a muddy quality in the mid-range of alot of it's sounds and that is what I don't like about it. Of course when layering 2 different synths, you're gonna have to run them through different filters and tracks anyway (If you are recording that is).

The DX100 is inferior to the DX7, but what you do with it plays a part too. It still is a "SYNTH" and not a ROMpler, so there is potential with it. FM isn't easy but it's not impossible either. Hell, you don't even have to program your own sounds, you can just edit the presets.

As far as the review of the combo goes, I honestly have to say that I got some VERY impressive sounds that would probably border on Wavestation material rather than D-50, and coming from the DX100 and M1 layered, that's saying alot. IF I don't forget (I certainly will if I'm not reminded) and when I get the time, I will try to write some patches and layer them, then provide an audio sample here.
rickyd

Return to Synth Shootouts