microwave1 -vs- microwave2/xt

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

microwave1 -vs- microwave2/xt

Postby 8bit9bot » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:17 pm

It seems there already are a lot of "______ -vs- microwave xt" posts here. These 2 are more confusing to me. First off, what are the differences between the 1 and the 2? And which, to you, seems better, and why?

I owned the Microwave 2, and it was maybe my favorite synth ever. Had to sell it to help me pay off my car loan. I'd like to buy it again eventually, but which one this time?

The differences I know of:
Microwave 1 = lowpass ANALOG filter, tiny LCD display, 8 voice poly, 64 user patches
Microwave 2 = multi-mode DIGITAL filters, larger LCD display, 10 voice poly, 256 user patches

Is that it? What more is there? Which sounds better to you? Does the MW1 not have FM, and other modulations that I liked on the MW2? Is editing as easy as it was on the MW2 on the MW1?
8bit9bot

Gear: TX-802
Prophet-5

Advertisement:

Re: microwave1 -vs- microwave2/xt

Postby Joey » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:20 pm

the MW1 is definitely the better sounding one of the bunch, i used to use one a lot with my old band, but I'd stick with the XT for a few reasons

the mw1 interface is seriously crippled

the XT has the great digital filters such as the sine x lp, S&H, fm, etc...

which even though the mw1 sounds HUGE (i believe its the same filter as the prophet vs), it misses out having the other filter types

the filters and interface alone made me pick the XT

if the MW1 had a similar interface as the XT i'd probably be singing a different tune, but I don't believe in the idea of using a software editor for a hardware synth, its a waste of time if you arent always at a computer
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby 8bit9bot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:41 am

thx joey - does the mw1 have FM, sync, and ring mod for the oscillators?
8bit9bot

Prophet-5

Postby Joey » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:00 am

i'm not actually sure...

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute

Postby RyanC » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:01 am

I haven't used a Microwave I, but its programming manual seems to show no indication of having FM, sync, or ring mod available for the oscillators. =\ And if you haven't already checked them out, the MWI manuals can be snagged from http://qwave.de/georg/mwmanual/.
RyanC

Postby 8bit9bot » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:59 pm

RyanC wrote:I haven't used a Microwave I, but its programming manual seems to show no indication of having FM, sync, or ring mod available for the oscillators. =\ And if you haven't already checked them out, the MWI manuals can be snagged from http://qwave.de/georg/mwmanual/.

Well then in my opinion the MW2 would be superior. I consider oscillator modulations to be more important than an analog filter, especially when there are several digital filter modes as an alternative. That seems much more useful to me. I suppose I'll be getting another MW2. Now, what does the XT do that the MW2 cannot, aside from all those knobs?
8bit9bot

Prophet-5

Postby RyanC » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:03 am

8bit9bot wrote:Well then in my opinion the MW2 would be superior. I consider oscillator modulations to be more important than an analog filter, especially when there are several digital filter modes as an alternative. That seems much more useful to me. I suppose I'll be getting another MW2. Now, what does the XT do that the MW2 cannot, aside from all those knobs?

The XT has an input jack for processing audio through the filters and effects, has 20-bit DACs (vs. MWII's 18-bit DACs), and adds a beefy orange presence to the room. I'm not sure how much better the XT's DACs are, though, as I've never used an MWII.
RyanC

Postby Joey » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:47 am

early versions of the MWII lack the ram to have the delay effect, so some of them are missing that, but all the XT's have delay

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby stikygum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:21 am

This editor for the MW1 makes it pretty easy to edit.

http://splashbeats.de/mwedit/wordpress/?cat=1

Best editor I've seen, but I think Soundquest offers a pretty good one. There's even Novation SL templates for the MW1 out there.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Return to Synth Shootouts