Nord Lead & Little Phatty vs Prophet 08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Nord Lead & Little Phatty vs Prophet 08

Postby tixxican » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi everyone

I currently have a Nord Lead 1 (exp) and an LP St1. Both give me the versatility to create great pads, analogue and sound effects, and are lots of fun to use.

My question being, do I sell both of these to purchase a Prophet 08. (I need an analogue synth to accompany my Fantom G6 and can only have one more synth).

Look forward to your responses
Cheers
tixxican

Advertisement:

Re: Nord Lead & Little Phatty vs Prophet 08

Postby Raiven » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:51 pm

SInce when does one "need" a Prophet 08?

I got rid of my Prophet 08 SE so I wouldn't put too much stake in them or the opinions of this website. I replaced it with the Blofeld Keyboard and couldn't be happier.

Stick with what you know. If your bored with them and/or want a change, buy an FX unit.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams
Raiven

Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Postby tixxican » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Raiven

Cheers for the quick response, but I did say, I "need" an "anologue" synth. What didn't you like about the Prophet 08?
:)
tixxican

Postby Raiven » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Why Do you "need" an analog synth? To keep up with the Jones's" I used to think I needed an analog synth many moons ago and that turned out to be farthest from the truth.

I didn't like the sound of the P'08. Quick frankly, I found no place for it in my music. Every other synth I have hardware and soft sounded better than it in several sound categories. I always found myself using something else for pads, something else for bass, something else for strings, etc.

Really, if your not in a cover/retro band, my advice is to leave it alone. The thing it is good at is bringing back the 80's. It would also be good for Rock and other hard but traditional music styles.

I'm a House Head with Ambient and Jazz on the mind and the P'08 was rather useless. Quite frankly I feel a bit cheated by all the hype.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

Raiven

Postby tixxican » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Much of my influence is from the cheesier side of the 80s, also from John Carpenter.

I am looking to make my own movies, I suppose the movie "Planet Terror" may give you an idea of the sound I'm after.
tixxican

Postby Raiven » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:59 pm

I also do sound track work for college documentaries and I didn't use the P'08 for that either. :lol:

Hmmmm. your Nord Lead should fit the bill for all that. I had 2 Lead 2X's and still miss it from time to time. Upgrade or keep your Nord Lead and put those DAW plug-ins to good use.

What DAW do you use?

Raiven

Postby tixxican » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Nothing currently. Only the Fantom G as kind of a sketchpad, looking to purchase an apple with the view to using logic.
tixxican

Postby Raiven » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:38 pm

Then save your money for the computer and logic. You'll be glad you did. If you've got some loot to burn, sell that Lead 1 and get a Lead 2X.

If you want some real analog grit and overtones, then get some outboard. Some personal favorites of mine.....

Allen & Heath Xone VF-1 (Own): I love using this to give all aspects of my Korg M3 an analog flavor without a lot of harshness.

TL Audio Ebony A2 (Purchase in the very near future): the compressor, EQ, and tube circuit in this will give sounds a different analog flavor. an excellent addition to the VF-1 IMHO.

Raiven

Postby otto » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:15 am

:roll:
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:36 am

I just sold my Nord 2X, and have a Moog LP. Completely different sound, and the LP is definitely analogue, where the Nord was a good but obvious imitation of it. I don't have a P08 and have only messed about on one briefly, but I did borrow a Poly Evolver for a few weeks, and have a MEK of my own, so if they're anything to go by I expect the P08 will sound more like you want it to than the Nord, but won't sound anything like the LP. I find the MEK and LP make good companions, but their strengths lie in different things - the LP is great for old-style sounds, the MEK for something more modern - it's cleaner, brighter, has a zillion modulation features - something I believe the P08 shares. If the P08 shares the family sound with the Evolvers, my personal choice would be to sell the Nord and keep the LP, and save the extra for a P08.

There're more to analogue than covers and retro. And software is not everyone's cup of tea. The Nord sounds good but is out-analogued by... erm... analogue. As for the Blofeld, well, I have an XT and that doesn't sound analogue either. If you really want analogue, buy analogue.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Return to Synth Shootouts