Flame Echometer vs. Looperlative

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Flame Echometer vs. Looperlative

Postby winningatlife » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:37 pm

Ok these are two very different pieces of equipment - but here is the dilemma. I want to introduce some looping into my live performances, I can either:

A. Using a flame echometer, create a midi loop, and output both midi and CV to a chain of synths which I can then control using the filters etc. The advantage here is I can create a multilayered beast of a synth with 4 or 5 keyboards chained together, and bring the loop in and out with the individual volumes and filters on each instrument.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/flame/echometer/

B. Use the looperlative to record an audio loop, and channel the audio loop through the external input of say, My ARP Axxe or Yamaha CS20M (or other filtering bits, like a moogerfooger, mixer, eq, etc.) The advantage of 8 hi quality audio loops allows for a lot more layering possibilities, and not tying up all my synths with the same loop.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/looperlative

I am not introducing a computer into this situation. I am not ready to give up actually playing music and program all of the time :(
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.
winningatlife

Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Advertisement:

Re: Flame Echometer vs. Looperlative

Postby snsr » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:21 pm

There's an immediacy to what the ecometer does that appeals to me - actually playing all of your instruments. Which is cool. But, between those two I'd probably go for the Looperlative, as it seems more flexible. Practically endless possibilities with either choice, though. Wow.
The Looperlative is also three times the price, if that's a factor.

edit- I've changed my mind - CV looping is too cool. I'd go with the echometer.
snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Flame Echometer vs. Looperlative

Postby winningatlife » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:57 pm

snsr wrote:edit- I've changed my mind - CV looping is too cool. I'd go with the echometer.

Yeah the CV Looping is bonkers awesome. Especially as I build my set up the possibility to integrate a modular into the mix, Play the loop, then go nuts with repatching live. Would be such a cool live show.

Echometer customer support is going to be a bit more... difficult. Even the poorly translated user's manual is horrendously confusing.

I've heard nothing but good things about Bob over at Looperlative on the other hand.

And of course the cost is an issue! I could pick up another monosynth + echometer for the cost of the looperlative...
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.
winningatlife

Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Return to Synth Shootouts