Prophet 600 vs Prophet 08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Prophet 600 vs Prophet 08

Postby nadafarms » Tue May 05, 2009 2:27 am

I actually really don't like the P08 or the P5 that much. The P5 DOES HAVE STEPPING and so does the P08... so that means nothing. Yes the p600 is a bit steppy when manually changing the filter but the P5 is too, if you're just programming sweeps it's fine.

I actually like the p600 the best and think for the price it's a no brainer. If I gigged and wanted something new and reliable I would maybe get the prophet 08 but honestly why not buy two p600's for that price and take them both to the gig.

I don't like punchy poly synths anyways, I would rather have a punchy mono and let polys do pads etc.
for sale/trade: EML-101
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Postby wrekkstylz » Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 am

I think I've only heard a few decent samples ever come out of prophet. I haven't really been impressed with most of the demos I've come across. I'm not a big fan of the prophet. If I had money to blow I'd probably buy one to see what the big deal is but I wouldn't expect to be amazed. I think that synth is more for people that are fans modular synths, useless sounds, listen to tangerine dream, and have NIN sticker on the back window of their Datsun.
wrekkstylz

Postby Christopher Winkels » Tue May 05, 2009 3:01 am

otto wrote: The P'08 is a programmers synth with lots of modulation capabilities and the unique "analog style" sequencer. That said it is not a basic synth with a large sweet spot. I think talented programmers could get most of what they want out of a P'08 but if your looking to just get on and have that prophet sound, it just isn't automatic. In fact the P'08 has it's own character sound that is sizzly for lack of a better description. And it is capable of a lot of tricks the vast majority of vintage synths are not. Also, simply stacking voices on the P'08 creates a lot of thickness.

There's a lot of good commentary in that paragraph.

I have to agree that the P'08 is not a "switch it on and set it up in under ten seconds" type of synth. It has quirks and foibles and little nooks of interesting - and occasionally frustrating - behaviour that reward those willing to explore it. Of course you can (and I do) have fun playing it with just a pair of detuned sawtooth waves run through a nearly wide-open 2-pole filter with very little modulation. How many other new, reasonably affordable analogue synths allow you to cascade four LFOs all modulating each other before they hit the oscillators (or filters, or amplifiers, or individual stages of the EGs, for that matter)? The results are often more than a little unpredictable, and odd artifacts can creep in, but that's part of the joy.
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Donovan_Juan » Tue May 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Woah... so many conflicting reports, its hard to tell what to do! For how cheap they are, I'm quite tempted to go with nadafarms idea of having two - I just checked out how much it would cost me to get a Prophet 08 to Australia, and it almost doesn't seem worth it.

I think the question that no one has really addressed is what they actually use their synth for. Those who have Prophet 600s and like using them - what kind of music do you use them for and what parts? Likewise 08 users - what do you use them for?

And for the record, I don't listen to Tangerine Dream, and have a NiN sticker on the back of my car - which is not a Datsun.
Donovan_Juan

Postby otto » Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 pm

wrekkstylz wrote:I think I've only heard a few decent samples ever come out of prophet. I haven't really been impressed with most of the demos I've come across. I'm not a big fan of the prophet. If I had money to blow I'd probably buy one to see what the big deal is but I wouldn't expect to be amazed. I think that synth is more for people that are fans modular synths, useless sounds, listen to tangerine dream, and have NIN sticker on the back window of their Datsun.

Which prophet? After all we’re comparing 2 and a third has crept into the conversation, which would be the one I would think anyone just saying “prophet” would be referring to (5). For the record I like the P5, P600 and P’08 although not all for the same reasons. I don’t own a modular and while the idea sometimes sounds like a good one, I don’t think I want to go down that path. I’ve never owned a datsun although I did have a Nissan X-Terra at one time. I like classic Tangerine Dream, I’m more or less indifferent towards NIN, and I don’t put band stickers on my cars.

You know what they say about Juno 60 owners…
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby winningatlife » Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Jinsai wrote:I'm sure you have reasons for wanting VCOs over DCOs, but I think you're limiting yourself unnecessarily.

Yeah... That is totally NOT true. I had to sell my Alesis ION and am thinking about selling my Juno 60 because DCO's (and Analog Modeling) do NOT cut it. Not being elitist or anything, I realllllly tried to dabble but the DCO's sound so weak and thin compared to a VCO.

Maybe not through headphones at low volumes, but performing live and through loud systems the DCO synths require extensive EQing or reverb or chorus to sound good - and then they sound soooo cheesy no one should use them anyway.

Prophet 600 is a very awesome synth (not to mention not that expensive)! I use mine to MIDI control a Terratec MB 33 II to get that elusive 3rd oscillator, and it absolutely destroys. No lie.

As far as reliability goes, mine was serviced at Wine Country in 2004 and plays like it is brand new. The stepping is there when adjusting parameters, but actually can sound cool (as someone mentioned before).
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.
winningatlife

Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Postby winningatlife » Thu May 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Donovan_Juan wrote:I think the question that no one has really addressed is what they actually use their synth for. Those who have Prophet 600s and like using them - what kind of music do you use them for and what parts? Likewise 08 users - what do you use them for?

I use my 600 for wormy bass squiggles, huge alien sweeps, and funk bass line styles. I MIDI control an MB 33 II to add another oscillator, which is definitely a good look for this synth.

It doesn't 'cut' like a Juno or ARP, and doesn't get as fat as a Moog or Yamaha CS, but it does what it does well. It kinda reminds me of a warmer richer version of the Akai AX60.

It is definitely one of those synths where I LOVE the polyphony - it gets really complex with the modulation options and I could listen to a simple chord held down for an hour without getting bored.

Well, I'd get a little bored.

But you get the idea.
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.
winningatlife

Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts