Yamaha SY-77 vs Roland D-50

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Yamaha SY-77 vs Roland D-50

Postby D-Collector » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Zshare usually works for me. Or filefront.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby rickyd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:20 pm

rickyd wrote:PS: I think it would be fun to post some tracks, one from each synth. IF anyone of you decide to do this, the drums don't have to come from the synths, just the melodies.

K guys, I did a brief track with some TG-77 melodies. It still needs work and my playing isn't that perfect (As you will hear), but it sounds good enough to post a sample here anyway. Sorry, no analogish sounds here; just a few presets that I ran through and found suitable for the track. I haven't learned how to program it yet, and the light is so dim that I don't think it's possible to program it yet. lol.

As mentioned, all sounds you hear (background melodies only) are from the TG-77. The drums, bassline, piano skanks, and hits are from different sources. All sounds are processed too (EQ, reverb, and slight chorus) to fit in the mix of the track.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/687285246d100506/
rickyd

Postby Pro5 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Couldn't possibly choose. It would be like asking to chose between my 2 children (If I had any). As far as I'm concerned, with an SY77 and a D-50 I can/will sell all other digital synths and never buy another. Those 2 combined are an awesome package and they do things NO rompler can do. They also happen to do things no ANALOG can do and there is the beauty in owning them.

I can easily do without 'many' digital synths, (analogs are always desirable of course) but these 2 beauties are going nowhere, they are stopping with me.

D-50 more magical? I'd say it's a tad less clinical than the SY77. The D-50 can't really be 'clinical' cos it's quite a noisy beast and it's limits make it more organic than a typical Digital synth.

SY77 is more powerful, cleaner, epic (can be) and really they both are versatile, though I find the '77 easier to be more versatile with. It has better portamento (Better for solos if you ask me) and other things over the D-50 inc a great screen, great control layout, great keys, great pressence in size/looks.

D-50 is a sexy little sports car of a synth, SY77 is an industrial truck packed with power. Own both for different reasons. SY77 can sound very analog but in way that is sometimes more useful/inspiring/versatile. D-50 can mimic the warmth of analog more closely due to it's older tech.

I'm still far from getting the best out of either synth, they can 'give' forever. The heart goes with the D-50, the Head goes with the SY77 both digital synths that sound magical (avoiding presets and 'real' instrument emulations).

Surround these pair with some nice Analogs... oh I don't know like say a polysix and a JX-3P ;) and you have an immense tool set, with clinical precision AND a beating heart for not much money at all :) (the 4 for less than a new rompler!)

-----
RE: Lights. Whether yours is dimming or not, I'd say CHANGE IT for blue asap. It made my synth a thing of beauty and I love working with it's screen with a good/blue light on it.

RE: If you had to chose only one synth? SY77, simply because it gives an awesome amount of power for very little cash. Typically they go for less than D-50s as they are less 'famous' and kind of under apreciated. I find it hard to put into words the difference, and yet the similarities between these 2 synths. I just 'feel' they are both the 'best' (or most lovable/great sounding) digital synths that the respective companies made, they have sonic character which most digital synths lack, moreso the D-50 has it's own character but the '77 with it's AFM makes sounds no other synth really makes (inc DX7). Really though, as they are so cheap they are no brainers - you can always sell them on if you don't come to love them ;)

I would sell my SY85, JX-8p, AN1x and DX7 before I sold my D-50 or SY77 (polysix/JX-3P are also keepers for me though)
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby rickyd » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:38 am

I know this is a bit off topic, but what's up with the Yamaha SY-22/TG-33? I understand that it has FM + AWM + Vector. Is it as good as either the D-50 or SY-77 at least as far as pads and FM-analog type emulations go?
rickyd

Postby b3groover » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:44 am

If I recall correctly, the FM in the SY22/TG33 is only four operator (maybe less?) so it can't do the kind of complex FM that the SY/TG77 can. But they are cool in their own right.
b3groover

Band: THEO

Postby rickyd » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:54 am

Oh, that sucks. If it had the same FM though, I bet it would blow the SY/TG-77 out of the water with the vector synthesis.

I found TG-33 demos on synthmania.com..............I know that usually the presets on a synth don't show off it's full capabilities, and mostly suck. A good bit of the presets sound OKAY at best out of the box for the TG-33 (As far as the vector pads, and analog synth type stuff go). I guess because the fact that being as it's vector synthesis, it's easier to show off it's capabilities using the presets alone IMO.

I can't say the same for the SY-77/TG-77 as the majority of the presets just suck and do the synth no justice AT ALL.
Upon hearing what other's have programmed with the 77, jeeez it's like heaven. Last week I bought the TG-77 on an impulse because of that. I'm kinda having second thoughts about my purchase though, because although I love those crazy analog-ish sounds it's capable of, the type of music that I do doesn't really call for a whole lot of that stuff; mainly acoustic instruments, lush evolving pads/choirs, and a few fat analog-style synth sounds here and there (As shown in the demo I posted a few posts back).
Last edited by rickyd on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rickyd

Postby wildpaws » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:23 pm

b3groover wrote:If I recall correctly, the FM in the SY22/TG33 is only four operator (maybe less?) so it can't do the kind of complex FM that the SY/TG77 can. But they are cool in their own right.

Worse than that really as they were only two operator FM, so very limited on the FM side.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
wildpaws

Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Postby wildpaws » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:32 pm

rickyd wrote:Oh, that sucks. If it had the same FM though, I bet it would blow the SY/TG-77 out of the water with the vector synthesis.

I found TG-33 demos on synthmania.com..............I know that usually the presets on a synth don't show off it's full capabilities, and mostly suck. A good bit of the presets sound OKAY at best out of the box for the TG-33 (As far as the vector pads, and analog synth type stuff go). I guess because the fact that being as it's vector synthesis, it's easier to show off it's capabilities using the presets alone IMO.

I can't say the same for the SY-77/TG-77 as the majority of the presets just suck and do the synth no justice AT ALL.
Upon hearing what other's have programmed with the 77, jeeez it's like heaven. Last week I bought the TG-77 on an impulse because of that. I'm kinda having second thoughts about my purchase though, because although I love those crazy analog-ish sounds it's capable of, the type of music that I do doesn't really call for a whole lot of that stuff; mainly acoustic instruments, lush evolving pads/choirs, and a few fat analog-style synth sounds here and there (As shown in the demo I posted a few posts back).

The good news is that there are thousands of sounds available on the net for the SY/TG77 and that there are many very good ones out there. The bad news is it takes time to sift through them all and come up with all good ones for your "work bank". I built up over time a couple of work banks made up of excellent sounds that fit my style of music, some were simply from other collections, some were complete edits I did of existing voices, a few were DX7IIFD voices that I moved over and edited. Once you have your work bank put together then it's really no bother to work on what you want to. Be patient and start putting together your own work bank for the internal voices so you won't have to rely on the preset voices.
Clyde
wildpaws

Postby rickyd » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Clyde, Are there any free voice banks available over the net? If so, what sites are they located on. Most of the ones I came across, you have to buy, and to me, they are so-so.
rickyd

Postby wildpaws » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 pm

rickyd wrote:Clyde, Are there any free voice banks available over the net? If so, what sites are they located on. Most of the ones I came across, you have to buy, and to me, they are so-so.

There are plenty of free ones available, you just have to look for them. I'm leaving for work so I don't have much time right now, so I'll post more later, but here is a starting point.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/sy ... 20Patches/

This is on the SY77 Yahoogroups in their files area, one file is over 5,000 SY/TG77 voices in Soundiver format. I'll see if I can find a link to the archieved "Yamaha Classic Corner" collections and some others. They are out there, you just have to be diligent in your search.
Clyde
wildpaws

Postby b3groover » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:43 pm

http://www.synthzone.com/midi/yamaha/sy77/

The SY77 rewards patience. I've had mine for 18 years and I'm still finding things it can do.
b3groover

Band: THEO

Postby wildpaws » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:55 pm

b3groover wrote:http://www.synthzone.com/midi/yamaha/sy77/

The SY77 rewards patience. I've had mine for 18 years and I'm still finding things it can do.

I mentioned in a post recently on one of the SY77 forums I frequent that I've had my SY77 going on 20 years and still learning new tricks with it.
Clyde
wildpaws

Postby rickyd » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:36 am

Wow, b3groover, I went to the synthzone site link you posted and dwlded those patches, and my mind TOTALLY blowed. I just wonder why couldn't those all be presets instead of the sucky ones which came with the unit. Pretty much any synth-type sound I want I got it now. Even the sounds that I thought about programming are there.
rickyd

Postby rickyd » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:31 pm

These 2 are instruments that will just make you lust. That's the beauty of 'em.

I do want to get a D-550 badly one of these days, but if I get one it would be just for collection's sake because I dunno if I would really need it or not, ya know. It's mostly used for warm space pads and VA stuff these days, but my TG-77 can cover those grounds too, and then some.

When I got the TG77, it was actually a few minutes right after I started this topic. I read up on it, started talkin about it, lusted after it, and just had to get it. lol. It all happened on a whim. The versatility (FM, space pads, acoustic, and VA-type shit) over the D-550 is what got me. So when I was on ebay, I said "Well, let me get this one instead, it's more of what I NEED".

But no matter how satisfied I am with it's versatility, I still find myself lusting after the magical Roland machine though. I guess the so-called "Living", "Breathing", "Magical", "Gotta play one and hear it to believe it" charm that it is said to have is what draws me to it. lol.
rickyd

Postby wildpaws » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:49 am

rickyd wrote:These 2 are instruments that will just make you lust. That's the beauty of 'em.

I do want to get a D-550 badly one of these days, but if I get one it would be just for collection's sake because I dunno if I would really need it or not, ya know. It's mostly used for warm space pads and VA stuff these days, but my TG-77 can cover those grounds too, and then some.

When I got the TG77, it was actually a few minutes right after I started this topic. I read up on it, started talkin about it, lusted after it, and just had to get it. lol. It all happened on a whim. The versatility (FM, space pads, acoustic, and VA-type shit) over the D-550 is what got me. So when I was on ebay, I said "Well, let me get this one instead, it's more of what I NEED".

But no matter how satisfied I am with it's versatility, I still find myself lusting after the magical Roland machine though. I guess the so-called "Living", "Breathing", "Magical", "Gotta play one and hear it to believe it" charm that it is said to have is what draws me to it. lol.

Different strokes for different folks! Even before I got my SY77, I never felt the D550 was "Living, Breathing, Magical, Gotta play one and hear it to believe it", it was a nice synth that sounded different than my DX7IIFD, but I was never awestruck with it. And while I know others feel differently than I do, I feel the D50/D550 filled a very small niche in my overall sound and actually became redundant once I had the SY77. And so, for those that love the D50/D550, great, I'm happy for you, we all choose our synths/sound sources based on our very different ideas of what is pleasing or good, use whatever gear works the best for YOUR wants/needs.
Clyde
wildpaws

PreviousNext

Return to Synth Shootouts