Yamaha SY-77 vs Roland D-50

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Yamaha SY-77 vs Roland D-50

Postby rickyd » Wed May 09, 2012 7:58 pm

wildpaws wrote:The best way I know of getting the "gear lust" off my chest is by purchasing the synths needed. My SY77 and SY99 are still my main synths and continue to produce almost all of the sounds/timbres I need.
Clyde

You're right 100%. The thing in this case though, I don't "need" either of those synths, as mentioned. As much as I like the sound of both, in all honesty, I found the D-550 and TG-77 to be somewhat redundant in my sonic palette because all of my basic go-to sounds were already covered by -at the time- the Motif Rack and DX7 via FM7. I'm more of a preset guy and don't have any room for a lot of wild sounds in my style of music, so I saw no use in keeping the D-550 and TG-77.

I just want them because they sound good. I guess the lust came back after watching youtube videos and hearing the amazing sounds they can produce, though I already know by experience that I don't really have much use for them. I guess sometimes we all go into "collector mode" and just want what we don't need. Lol!
rickyd

Advertisement:

Postby Nannerfan » Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:
b3groover wrote: Do you offer your sounds for sale?

Just grab'em when I'm not looking :D

lol, j/k. They're freeware (the only restriction is you can't (re)sell them, but you're more than welcome to use them in new tracks)

OMG! You're Neverending Story patch is what convinced me to buy a D-50 years ago...

I see your website is down... where I can I get that patch!!
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Postby wildpaws » Sat May 12, 2012 1:50 am

rickyd wrote:
wildpaws wrote:The best way I know of getting the "gear lust" off my chest is by purchasing the synths needed. My SY77 and SY99 are still my main synths and continue to produce almost all of the sounds/timbres I need.
Clyde

You're right 100%. The thing in this case though, I don't "need" either of those synths, as mentioned. As much as I like the sound of both, in all honesty, I found the D-550 and TG-77 to be somewhat redundant in my sonic palette because all of my basic go-to sounds were already covered by -at the time- the Motif Rack and DX7 via FM7. I'm more of a preset guy and don't have any room for a lot of wild sounds in my style of music, so I saw no use in keeping the D-550 and TG-77.

I just want them because they sound good. I guess the lust came back after watching youtube videos and hearing the amazing sounds they can produce, though I already know by experience that I don't really have much use for them. I guess sometimes we all go into "collector mode" and just want what we don't need. Lol!

I've been using the SY77 since '89/'90 and the SY99 I purchased several years ago, I like their ability to sound like most anything I want them too. I don't use "wild sounds" as a rule, so that's not why I have them (though I did play in a band called the Wild Ones that released a 45 back in '65). I've looked at all of the incarnations of the Motif series, tried out each version as it came to market, while they sound good I've never been impressed enough with one to plunk down my hard earned cash. When I looked at the MotifXS I was very disappointed with the audible loop artifacts in their DX Rhodes sound, great synths but just not my cup of tea. A group of people on one forum are working on a sample ram expansion for the SY99, with more sample ram it should make an awesome synth even better, I'd have to rate the SY99 as one of the best Yamaha ever made (certainly no worse than one of the top three). And we all have our own specific wants/needs, I use what works best for me and don't worry about what others are using. There are a few items I'd like to pick up for my home studio just because I want them, I think a lot of us suffer from "gear aquisition syndrome" from time to time.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
wildpaws

Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Postby rickyd » Sat May 12, 2012 2:30 am

The Motif series probably won't be impressive enough for electronic music lovers and such, so I can see where you stand.

Anyway, I would love to hear some of your work in which the SY99 was used.
rickyd

Postby Pro5 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Still got my SY and D. The '77 sees more use atm. :) The KS-Rack has taken over a bit from the D-50!!

edit > Not implying the KSrack sounds like or does what the D-50 does. D-50 is pretty unique - just that I was using it in place of where i'd use D-50 recently. Having said that, nothing replaces D-50 when i need that sound :) still a gorgeous synth, design and sound wise.
Last edited by Pro5 on Thu May 24, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby wildpaws » Fri May 18, 2012 2:24 am

rickyd wrote:The Motif series probably won't be impressive enough for electronic music lovers and such, so I can see where you stand.

Anyway, I would love to hear some of your work in which the SY99 was used.

ummmm, I don't play "electronic music", I do mostly '60s/'70s/'80s rock, contemporary Christian, etc. Most of what I do is sequenced on SY77/99 sequencer, rough mix done in sequence edit, then recorded to AW1600 along with vocals, Hammond, acoustic piano or whatever else I decide to add. I have not had much time lately to record much of my own work, family health issues have limited me mostly to recording our churh choir when they do special performances or we have guest soloists. I miss having time to play and/or record some of my old favorites like Neil Young, Allman Bros., etc. I have had the opportunity to record some of my old multi-track analog tapes to digital (tapes were done in my home studio over the years), I'm surprised at how well they come out when transferred to digital. I also took a recording that I transferred from a 45rpm done by one of the bands I was in during the '60s, I originally recorded from a pristine 45 copy to multi-track tape several years ago, last year I transferred it to digital for a website to use it with our bands profile, that transfer also came out very well. I do need to find more time to just sit down and play my SY77 and SY99, if I put some tracks up somewhere I'll let you know.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
wildpaws

Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts