TR-808 vs. JOMOX 888 (update bought the 808!)

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

TR-808 vs. JOMOX 888 (update bought the 808!)

Postby Afamily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:52 am

As I've mentioned in the title, I can't seem to find a thread on the comparision of such. I'm looking to purchase an 808, but would I get the same flavor if I bought the 888? Curious as to any reviews and opinions on such.

I produce illbient downtempo, trip-hop, and some dubstep. Would like to know any opinions in the matter of 808 vs 888.

Thanks!
Last edited by Afamily on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.
Afamily

Gear: Virus TI, SE1x (Angel Dust) and a Silver Laptop with an Apple on it.
Band: TIPOL

Advertisement:

Re: TR-808 vs. JOMOX 888

Postby kuroichi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:45 am

The jomox can do long kicks etc with plenty of bass, plus the samples in the hi hat and cymbal section etc, contain 808 (or maybe 606 now I think about it) sounds, but, while there is a decent amount of crossover, I would say that the Jomox isnt generally the same flavour or sound of the 808 as a whole.

Plus I personally don't think the Jomox machines are of the same standard as the Roland boxes by a long shot.

I'd say, only go for the 808 if you are strictly looking for that 808 sound ($$$£££¥¥¥!!!). While the Jomox can do more in terms of versatility, it's no 808...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Afamily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 am

Understood, I'm looking for decay control on the kick, but I am looking for that 808 sound, I tend to gravitate toward the lowest TUNE setting on the kick just above complete mud yet still very clear. Very low. However, on the flip to that I can also articulate my pieces to use a higher tune setting.

I do have goldbaby 808 samples that were cut to vinyl straight from the 808 then to through their gear into sample form and while those soound amazing, I'd like the TR sequencer and just to have control over the 808 in production for a live setting.

Live PA use.
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.
Afamily

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:55 am

Afamily wrote:I produce illbient downtempo, trip-hop, and some dubstep. Would like to know any opinions in the matter of 808 vs 888.

Thanks!

Have you considered the MFB 522? I see you've already got an MPC1000, that with a 522 should cover 99% of what you need, and save you a whole lot of money. For the price of an 808 you could pick up a 522, MBase-01 and a second hand Distressor, which IMO would be much more useful for actually making tracks with.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Afamily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Afamily wrote:I produce illbient downtempo, trip-hop, and some dubstep. Would like to know any opinions in the matter of 808 vs 888.

Thanks!

Have you considered the MFB 522? I see you've already got an MPC1000, that with a 522 should cover 99% of what you need, and save you a whole lot of money. For the price of an 808 you could pick up a 522, MBase-01 and a second hand Distressor, which IMO would be much more useful for actually making tracks with.

Noted, however, what's the sound of the 522 like? If I was going that route, would a 606 and an mbase be a similar combo? And you mentioned Distressor, which gear is that?
Afamily

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:49 am

It sounds pretty good to me. I don't have one but I think I'm going to get one soon. The 522 has more percussion than a 606 so can do more I believe, but in this video it says it seems like an editable 606.

Watch on youtube.com

A Distressor is a compressor, put an analogue kick through it and it'll sound massive.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby kuroichi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 am

Just thought Id add, the setup stab has mentioned is good if your willing to part from the idea of a singular machine, and would offer quite range of sounds.

There's a difference when it comes to the build, as the MFB machines often have shared outputs for some sounds etc, and the sequencer which works slightly differently due to having fewer step keys.

I think the problem with the 808 at the moment is the price and age as some arent as well cared for but are still as expensive.

Have you looked at the Acidlab Miami? There's been some good in depth reviews, and comparison of it to an 808 here and other places...
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Afamily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 am

kuroichi wrote:
Have you looked at the Acidlab Miami? There's been some good in depth reviews, and comparison of it to an 808 here and other places...

Funny, I was just coming back on this thread to post whether or not anyone's got opinions on the Miami.

Acidlab Miami

I'm really not against spending 1500 on the 808, I realize its higher then its been in the given past, but I know it will retain its value, but truth is I won't part with it once i get one.
Afamily

Postby pflosi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Afamily wrote:Understood, I'm looking for decay control on the kick, but I am looking for that 808 sound, I tend to gravitate toward the lowest TUNE setting on the kick just above complete mud yet still very clear. Very low. However, on the flip to that I can also articulate my pieces to use a higher tune setting.

The "tune" on the 808 kick is NOT a "tuning" of the kick as you might expect. It does not "pitch" the kick, the fundamental is always the same (ca. 56 hz, "A") - it adds harmonics, i.e. the typical "click", not more not less.

Same goes for the snare btw. Only the toms / congas are "really" tunable as one would expect a "tuning" to work (cymbal tune is bandpass filter frequency).
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby kuroichi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm

From what your saying I'd say get an 808, you could always sell it if you wanted to get a cheaper alternative.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Afamily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:30 pm

pflosi wrote:
Afamily wrote:Understood, I'm looking for decay control on the kick, but I am looking for that 808 sound, I tend to gravitate toward the lowest TUNE setting on the kick just above complete mud yet still very clear. Very low. However, on the flip to that I can also articulate my pieces to use a higher tune setting.

The "tune" on the 808 kick is NOT a "tuning" of the kick as you might expect. It does not "pitch" the kick, the fundamental is always the same (ca. 56 hz, "A") - it adds harmonics, i.e. the typical "click", not more not less.

Same goes for the snare btw. Only the toms / congas are "really" tunable as one would expect a "tuning" to work (cymbal tune is bandpass filter frequency).

Perhaps I'm thinking pitch and not tune... I can't recall at this present time, whatdever takes it from a high "bizzzz" timbre to a low "Boom" timbre. .... kinda... :geek:
Afamily

Postby Syn303 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Pflosi meant "TONE" for the BD on the 808. Anyway there is always this machine for 800 euro.

Watch on youtube.com
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Syn303

Postby pflosi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:44 pm

yeah it's "tone" not "tune", thanks syn.

boooooooooom :D
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Carey M » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:48 pm

If I was looking for something modern that sounded like a TR-808, I'd get the Acidlab Miami. And I did. And I no longer have 808-GAS. MFB boxes are also great for the price, but at least the 503 also felt really cheap. And I'd wager the 522 is really cramped tweaking-wise.

- CM
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby Afamily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm thinking about just getting the miami, because I do live PA alot, but I never have owned teh real deal roland yet, and may just have ot go with that.
Afamily

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts