Yamaha CS-5 vs Doepfer Dark Energy

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Yamaha CS-5 vs Doepfer Dark Energy

Postby Nannerfan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:07 am

I like the CS-5 I had, but I always wanted it to be a CS-10 instead.. like a parent that had a girl instead of a boy.. but in this case society accepted me to sell it.

CS-15 is just too much for me.. i like my mono's simple.
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Advertisement:

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:37 am

Ha, I sold my CS-15 because although it sounded nice it was too simple. Different strokes I guess.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Nannerfan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:28 pm

I actually kind of agree... it's somewhere stuck in between.

When my old band had the CS-15. I preferred the Crumar DS-2 and Roland SH-7 for the biggies..
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Postby Grumblepig » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Feels funny to check back in on this post, but after having my Dark Energy synth for a while now, I just had my first chance to play a CS-5. Really quite liked it! I love the DE, and I'm looking forward to visiting my Pro One and MS10 back in California soon, but the CS-5, for all its utter simplicity, sounded lovely to my ears. I'm sure I'd drool even harder for a CS-15, but the CS-5 just has that oh-so basic gooey synth sound that I can't resist. New studio down the block had one, and we put it to quick use, getting a fine bass line, a white noise wind storm and a sample-and-hold freakout out of the little thing. Besides being able to cough up/conjure pleasing sounds with no sweat, I really loved the grunty hands-on "no such thing as interface" aspect. Synth make sound, hands make notes move. No USB/MIDI channels, no nothin' fussy. Yeah, if I see one for sale for not too much, I'd happily add it to my bag.

Back to the DE, I did end up picking up the glide option, and installing it myself. Worked well for a bit, but now it's either full on or the DE won't track notes at all. I'm sure this is down to installer-error, as I'm not someone to be trusted with a screwdriver or toothbrush or whatever. Might take it down to Schneidersladen and beg them to take pity and re-jig the thing.

Anyway, there's the story of my DE vs. CS-5 dilemma, brought up to date in time for the End of Time!

Cheers all!
Grumblepig

Gear: Novation X-Station, Korg MS-20 mini, Doepfer DE, Korg MS-10, SC Pro-One, Casio CZ-1000, Wurlitzer 200, Roland R8
Band: Three Minute Tease

Postby Allthesound » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:38 am

Hi i'm new here on the forum but have read Vintage Synth Explorer for quite some time.

I had a CS-5 for a while and found it a pretty cool synth. While not suited for deep moogish bass's it was quite good for many other things. When it really came alive for me was when i CV'd into my Yamaha SK-30's mono section. Then it was dual mono synth madness. Sadly i got rid of both.

Yamaha's CV in & outs are different from most specs. I wonder if the CV would work with a Dark Energy?
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Allthesound

Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:31 am

Allthesound wrote:Hi i'm new here on the forum but have read Vintage Synth Explorer for quite some time.

I had a CS-5 for a while and found it a pretty cool synth. While not suited for deep moogish bass's it was quite good for many other things. When it really came alive for me was when i CV'd into my Yamaha SK-30's mono section. Then it was dual mono synth madness. Sadly i got rid of both.

Yamaha's CV in & outs are different from most specs. I wonder if the CV would work with a Dark Energy?

Not for note CV, the DE is V/Oct and the CS is Hz/V.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby jaypodesta » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
dustinh wrote:On a slightly related note, I'm quite curious to hear how the Dark Energy 2 will sound. It will be pretty sweet to have a multimode filter with the ability to morph between filter types. I'm kinda glad I haven't bought a DE yet as I'll probably wait until the 2nd version is out. Will be curious to hear how the new 12 dB filter compares to the original 24 dB filter.

The original is really nice and I imagine the 2 is going to be as well. I imagine the two filters will complement one another very nicely, I find having both kinds of filter in my modular lets me cover a huge amount of sonic ground.

Of course as soon as the original DE is no longer available it will immediately start to sound bigger, fatter, phatter, grittier and all those other words that most people have no idea what they mean. ;)

And not forgetting when placed on eBay for sale shall always be labelled as "Rare".
jaypodesta

Postby calaverasgrande » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:08 am

jaypodesta wrote:And not forgetting when placed on eBay for sale shall always be labelled as "Rare".

It is kind of nice that my Dark Energy is suddenly the "OG version".
I am curious to see how the envelope on the DE II compares to the original. To me the only shortcoming of the "old" DE is the envelope. Even with the L/M/H settings I find the envelope response is either too fast or too slow.
The attack setting seems like it should have a log pot instead of a linear one maybe? It just doesnt adjust intuitively for me.
Love the filter, lfo and oscs tho!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts