Shruthi-1 vs PAIA Fatman

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Shruthi-1 vs PAIA Fatman

Postby smoothcriminal » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Analog 2-osc monosynth kits at approximately the same price. Shruthi has digital oscillators and wavetables, Fatman has VCOs... can anyone shed any light on the comparitive value, sound, genre utilitarianism, build quality, kit skill level, or anything else between these two kits?
smoothcriminal

Advertisement:

Re: Shruthi-1 vs PAIA Fatman

Postby space6oy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 am

i haven't had a fatman, but if you're indifferent about analog/digital, the shruthi has TONS more editable parameters.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby th0mas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:00 am

I've owned a fatman. It's raw sounding but pretty much a 1-trick pony without the mods.

I'd go for a struthi, although I don't own one so maybe if I owned the other one I'd have a different opinion
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby deeplow » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:51 am

shruthi :)
"You can never underestimate the amount of unimaginative people out there making music." Stab Frenzy
deeplow

Gear: bad luck brain

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:43 pm

I have no idea how clear the build instructions are for the Shruthi, but the pAiA kits have very detailed instructions which is important if it's your first project.

I agree the Shruthi has more features, but that makes no difference if you can't get it built :oops:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager (FS), Live 9

Postby space6oy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm

shruthi instructions are pretty well organized. i didn't have to backtrack on any of it.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby smoothcriminal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:17 pm

space6oy wrote:i haven't had a fatman, but if you're indifferent about analog/digital, the shruthi has TONS more editable parameters.

On the contrary, I'm not indifferent about analog/digital at all. I just love the "Sega" warm & fuzzy hybrid sound possibly as much as I love the VCO sound.

Would my sequencer be able to record/playback CCs on the Shruti? I.e. do the Shruti knobs send CCs?

Also, a lot of the Mutable Instruments (Shruti) Soundcloud demos have an irritating high-pitched 'whine' even on bass sounds. Recording artifact, broken speakers, or is that noise a result of something in the Shruti's voice architecture?

I'm referring to these examples, can anyone else hear it? http://mutable-instruments.net/taxonomy/term/106?page=3

edit - pretty sure tis my speakers but someone tell me I'm crazy
smoothcriminal

Postby deeplow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:26 pm

shruthi-1 was my first synth project. my friend helped me but it wasn't difficult. every instructions is on the web, step by step. just get an eprom burner, that's very important to put the os into the chip.
and sound is absolutely cool, it recieves every CC messages, and the sequencer has some interesting functions.
my favourite monosynth.
"You can never underestimate the amount of unimaginative people out there making music." Stab Frenzy
deeplow

Gear: bad luck brain

Postby Projectile » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:49 am

Shruthi-1 is a monster. I does have some aliasing due to it's dirty 8-bit oscillators, so that may be what you are hearing. Some oscillator waveforms have a lot of aliasing and some have less and it varies a lot over the key range. You have to pick and choose based on the patch. Some would see it as a drawback. Others think it gives the synth character. Depends on what you are trying to do.

The Shruthi's filter is very smooth and thick. Much more so than the samples I've heard of the Fatman. As others have said, the Fatman is a more limited, "one trick pony" kind of synthesizer, but it would be better than the the Shruthi for more pure and simple analog sounds.

Personally, I would go for the Shruthi. It's one of the most intuitive, feature packed, cleverly designed monosynths I've ever used. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Lot's of wicked, fat sounds, as long as you are into that slightly dirty 8 bit sound. It's a pretty straight forward build, with good instructions, but if you mess something up, debugging could be pretty difficult. The only thing I was slightly disappointed about the shruthi is the case. It looks even better in person than it does in the pictures (quite stunning), but it also seems somewhat fragile. Not roadworthy at all. If I were going to be gigging with the shruthi a lot, I would probably want to rehouse it in a sturdier case. The PAIA stuff I've encountered always seemed a lot more rugged.
Projectile

Postby moonK » Fri May 20, 2011 9:30 pm

hi, long time reader, new member.

I just bought a pre built one off of ebay a couple of days ago after i sold my roland sh 09 (i'll miss yah)

does anyone know the availability for "the sidekick"? i noticed it only shows the schematics.

thanks!
moonK

Postby Projectile » Mon May 23, 2011 8:39 am

The sidekick was just recently announced. Apparently, there will be boards for sale soon, but last I heard it was undecided whether or not there would be full kits made.

The best way to keep up with what's going on at Mutable Instruments is to check the forums periodically.
Projectile

Postby moonK » Wed May 25, 2011 3:21 am

Projectile wrote:The sidekick was just recently announced. Apparently, there will be boards for sale soon, but last I heard it was undecided whether or not there would be full kits made.

The best way to keep up with what's going on at Mutable Instruments is to check the forums periodically.

thanks for the response, they just sent out a notification stating the sidekick will be available; included in the kit the vca chips but no mention of any filter chips or other components i.e. capacitor, diodes etc.

I wrote them an email and hope to get some answers before the relaunch of this friday. if i do end up getting it, it'll be my first solder project, i'm planning on practising on some old motherboards and any kiunda board i can get my hands on.

cheers!
moonK

Postby moonK » Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 pm

oops, sorry Oliver sent me an email, and said a kit would not be available at this time. He said that decision will be made later on, but for now he doesn't it can reach 100 sales.
moonK

Return to Synth Shootouts