Jupiter 8 versus Jupiter 6 ?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Jupiter 8 versus Jupiter 6 ?

Postby knolan » Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 am

Hi -

I'm a Jupiter 6 owner and am very fond of it. But I don't know the Jupiter 8 and would be interested in knowing of the sonic differences / similarities by anyone who owns or has used both.

Are the underlying VCO/VCF/VCA chips and voice cards the same? Overall, Is the Jupiter 6 a six voice version of the Jupiter 8 or should each be regarded as a different synth, each with it's own distinctive sound? And the acid test - sonically, is the Jupiter 8 stronger/better/superior?

I realise so much of this is subjective, but I also believe posterity has revealed better versus slightly 'lesser' (P5 Rev2 versus Rev3, CS80 versus CS70M, OBXA versus OB8, CASIO CT1000P versus CASIO 7000 ( :-) ), ManU versus Liverpool (19 versus 18) - ye know - better versus worse :roll: ) but I'm not clear if the Jupiter 6 and 8 can be examined in this regard.

Thanks,
Kevin

PS - to the moderators - judging by the lousy viewing figures, it looks like few visit this forum, yet I suspect these shootouts are of interest and are relevant to all. I'd recommend you move these back to the general synthesizer forum. I realise you might feel these should be sidelined because they can be repetitive but actually, there are not that many shootouts inadvertently repeated and I suggest you are not doing such important comparisons justice - virtually nobody is reading or contributing to them simply because nobody thinks to come to this forum.

Kevin
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Jupiter 8 versus Jupiter 6 ?

Postby Solderman » Thu May 12, 2011 5:15 am

I think it may be best to use your ears.

My two JP8 demos(second one with effects):

My JP6 demo:

I think they serve two very distinct sets of quality and usefulness, within the realm of vintage polyphonic synthesis. I used to own a JP8, and my lasting impression is lots of sweet spots, very snappy envelopes, a quite liquid sounding filter, and a smooth tone that's very natural sounding and easy on the ear.
The JP6 I can say none of those, but it's so much fun to play, and I would even say more inspiring for musical ideas.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b, e1010, RPS-10, Filter Factory

Postby ninja6485 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:56 am

knolan wrote:PS - to the moderators - judging by the lousy viewing figures, it looks like few visit this forum, yet I suspect these shootouts are of interest and are relevant to all. I'd recommend you move these back to the general synthesizer forum. I realise you might feel these should be sidelined because they can be repetitive but actually, there are not that many shootouts inadvertently repeated and I suggest you are not doing such important comparisons justice - virtually nobody is reading or contributing to them simply because nobody thinks to come to this forum.
actually, it's done on purpose: as a prerequisite to giving advice or asking questions in the synth shootouts section, one must be able to at least scroll down half a page and read the heading. it's tough but fair, considering that your advice (or question) could play an important roll in perpetuating someone's future gear lust cycle. in the future, be aware that this section may contain a brief iq test, search function tutorial, and at least 2 forms of i.d with proof of insurance pending the results of the test.1

1.criteria for an exception to the iq test includes: being a chazzwuzzer, owning a boat, or bearing resemblence to a historical figure; neither with a beard nor without a beard but also without a hat, provided the person in question is female.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby shaft9000 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:41 pm

knolan wrote:Hi -

I'm a Jupiter 6 owner and am very fond of it. But I don't know the Jupiter 8 and would be interested in knowing of the sonic differences / similarities by anyone who owns or has used both.

Are the underlying VCO/VCF/VCA chips and voice cards the same? Overall, Is the Jupiter 6 a six voice version of the Jupiter 8 or should each be regarded as a different synth, each with it's own distinctive sound?

I realise so much of this is subjective.....but I'm not clear if the Jupiter 6 and 8 can be examined in this regard.

they're very different synths under the hood; although they share similar names and cosmetics that's about it.
the JP-6 shares a lot of components with the MKS-80 earlier models; later MKS-80s used different chips but the early MKS-80s have CEM ICs and software EGs just like the Jupiter6. The MKS adds a bass-boost circuit.
Jupiter-8, otoh, was a design unique to Roland, although the JP-8's EGs and 24 dB filter are also in Juno6/60 and to some extent in Jupiter-4 and JX-3P. Jp-4 sounds rawer and far less 'refined' as JP-8, JX-3p more like metal and less liquid, and the Junos a much plainer/limited variant. The Jp-6 does more variety than JP-8 in pure sound-design; but what 'little' the JP-8 does it does better than just about anything - few synths can sound so big and lush yet handle so quickly, and also be so user-friendly.
The JP-8 oscillators are special. It's one of the the only mass-produced polysynth afaik (along w/ OB-X and CS-50/60/80?) where the oscillators are discrete and not IC-based. What that amounts to sonically is anyone's guess - but worth noting, I suppose. Of all synths I've had the JP-8's osc character is the most 'swirly' and organic. It's here that the sound of this board is so distinct; combined w/ the 4-voice Dual mode throwing one patch left and the other right - classic JP-8 spread.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby space6oy » Thu May 12, 2011 10:09 pm

knolan wrote:PS - to the moderators - judging by the lousy viewing figures, it looks like few visit this forum, yet I suspect these shootouts are of interest and are relevant to all. I'd recommend you move these back to the general synthesizer forum. I realise you might feel these should be sidelined because they can be repetitive but actually, there are not that many shootouts inadvertently repeated and I suggest you are not doing such important comparisons justice - virtually nobody is reading or contributing to them simply because nobody thinks to come to this forum.

Kevin

i don't think you can tell how many people are viewing this section of the forum, just how many times its threads have been opened and how many times they've been replied to.

quite frankly a lot of the threads do not receive much participation because people (like me) see their title, find it uninteresting and/or unintelligent (unlike this one) and do not bother opening it.

it would be a very annoying move allowing threads like these back into the general section.

far as this thread though, it may not see that much action simply because not many people have been able to compare those two firsthand. i've never gotten to touch an 8.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby jeeroj » Thu May 12, 2011 10:20 pm

don't people use the 'view active topics' button? that's where i spend most of my time...
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first
jeeroj

Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Postby space6oy » Thu May 12, 2011 10:26 pm

that's arranged by what's most recently been posted or replied to. doesn't have to do w/ how many people are entering a section & seeing what threads are in it.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby jeeroj » Thu May 12, 2011 10:31 pm

yeh, i was more in agreement with this, people are aware of the threads, just not bothered with looking...

space6oy wrote:quite frankly a lot of the threads do not receive much participation because people (like me) see their title, find it uninteresting and/or unintelligent (unlike this one) and do not bother opening it.
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first
jeeroj

Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Postby hyphen nation » Fri May 13, 2011 5:29 am

jeeroj wrote:don't people use the 'view active topics' button? that's where i spend most of my time...

I just use the "view new posts" option when I look at night. Keeps it simple.
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby bhrama » Fri May 13, 2011 1:10 pm

I'd be happy to "use" someones JP8 for oh I dunno....maybe 3 years? ;) , and compare it with my JP6 when it arrives. However I warn you, it may take me a bit longer to evaluate the differences... 8-)
bhrama

Gear: Prophet 12, Juno 60, TR8, Sub37
Band: Grit Lapse, Mang

Postby Solderman » Fri May 13, 2011 9:39 pm

I'd be happy to get my JP8 back, but only with the multitude of problems it had fixed, with an Encore Midi kit installed and only if I had a studio twice as large as the one I have now to put it in. It's a big hulking thing.
Shaft covered most of the description well enough. I would only add that the JP8 is just as much an acquired taste as any other vintage polysynth. I'd venture the JP6 would work better for more beat-oriented stuff. Sits up front in the mix better without taking as much headroom, likely because of the Curtis VCO's. Isn't as warm or rich or snappy as the 8, but you may not want that in a mix anyway.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b, e1010, RPS-10, Filter Factory

Postby knolan » Sun May 15, 2011 11:23 am

Solderman - thanks for the demos. As an aside, I like the end of the JP6 one a lot - it reminds of a bit of the "Forbidden Planet" sound track I purchased recently. Overall, I find the JP6 to be an incredibly flexible synthesizer across all analogue synthesizer requirements - pads, leads and sfx. I find the Roland pitch bend lever/wheel to offer a whole range of different performance possibilities than the Moog type - I play a CS40M on the same stand and underneath my JP6 and they complement each other extremely well. In some of my best tracks, using a range of sophisticated synthesizers from JD800 to SY99 and even OASYS, it is interesting to me how often I turn the JP6 (and CS40M) for a range of lead lines and effects line.

The JP8 sounds a little stronger to me even from your demo - as if it just has a little more pedigree in its circuits in the same way that the Minimoog has that inner strength. But I agree the JP6 is a formidable and useful synthesizer. I was very lucky to acquire mine in near mint condition in Belfast for just £350 about 10 years ago - it had one VCO blown so they were just selling it off in a shop there. A few quid later for a new VCO and I had myself a great synth for a bargain price. there are several vintage synths on my target list over the next 3 -5 years (VCS3/AKS..., Minimoog...) but I think the JP8 has to be on that list too.

Thanks Shaft9000 for your detailed comments too - really appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevin.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby shaft9000 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:50 pm

here's a JP-8 video I made a while back - in arp mode for the 1st ~5min then some pads etc

Watch on youtube.com
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby knolan » Sun May 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks Shaft9000. I can definitely hear the strength in the JP8. It is indeed more 'robust' than the JP6 - it seems to me that all three of - the oscillators, filter and envelopes (especially attack time) - are more distinct and defined than on the JP6. Very interesting.

Cheers,
Kevin.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ryryoftokyo » Wed May 25, 2011 3:05 am

Honestly, I'm liking the Jup 6 more...but I'm weird when it comes to synths...
32 MU modular system, Electribe (EA-1 and EMX), Microbrute, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, MS20, AN1x, Poly 61 (x2), JX8P, Split-8, DX7, Alpha Juno 2, microkorg, Conn Electric Band, TR-505, Ace Tone FR-3, Monotron Delay, Beatstep
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts