Vermona Perfourmer vs DSI Tetra

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Vermona Perfourmer vs DSI Tetra

Postby dhollmusik » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:05 am

These two synths are pretty much the only two synths in existence which match this description:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63088

But which one to get?

I make (or attempt to make :lol: ) two kinds of music: real-time cosmic-droney soundtracks and hard techno-trance. From what I know of both synths it appears the Perfourmer would be more suited to experimental soundtrack music while the Tetra sounds well suited to modern dance music.

Thanks to a skinny wallet I can't get both. The one thing putting me off the Vermona is the audio demos I've heard so far sound a little thin and insubstantial (although nicely ethereal). The Tetra sounds chunky, but I've read from a few users that its interface is really annoying to use.

Anyone with experience and/or opinions wanna chime in?
dhollmusik

Advertisement:

Re: Vermona Perfourmer vs DSI Tetra

Postby memory cords » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:06 am

I have the Vermona Perfourmer and I love it. The interface is great for manipulating the sound in real time, as one voice is playing you can be changing the parameters of the upcoming voices so there is constant change and evolution in the timbre. The sounds are incredible too, very smooth with absolutely no audible 'stepping' (there are no digital parameters at all).

Apparently there is a MK II version of the Perfourmer coming out soon, it will have oscillator sync and a few extra features (sine and triangle oscillators) that the original Perfourmer doesn't have.

There are no youtube demos that show the true range and power of the Perfourmer unfortunately. But it can sound deep and full, harsh (using the FM modulations) and also light and airy.
memory cords

Postby dhollmusik » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:46 am

Great reply, memory cords.

Do you have audio examples online?
dhollmusik

Postby memory cords » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am

dhollmusik wrote:Great reply, memory cords.

Do you have audio examples online?

Hey dhollmusik.

Here's a track that my friend and I made using the Perfourmer as one of the main instruments. It shows many of the sounds that the Perfourmer is capable of. It's an experimental soundscape, not a dance or pop track. You will need to turn it up since it is not mastered yet:

memory cords

Postby dhollmusik » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:06 pm

memory cords wrote:It's an experimental soundscape, not a dance or pop track.

Then we have the same taste in music :hifi:

Sounds strange and interesting. Some Floydian touches too. I like the vibe and the sound. The snare drum sound in the first few minutes (comes in later on too) was a little offputting, tho'...it's a bit invasive. I think the idea behind it is sound, but the synthesis of it is too thick and loud.

Really like your piece otherwise, just started following you on Soundcloud...will check out more.

I noticed your rig for this tune:

Cwejman VCO-6 Multi Output Oscillator.
Cwejman FSH-1 Frequency Shifter.
MOTM GX VCF.
MFB Drum-04 Bass Drum and Drum-05 Snare Drum.
Wiard Wogglebug.
Vermona Perfourmer.
Vermona RM-1 Ring Modulator.
Korg R3 Synthesizer.
Doepfer Dark Energy.
FMR Really Nice Leveling Amplifier.

haha! Now that is a nice rig for some avant-tastiness. The Dark Energy is also on my list of synths I'm after, and the MFB-522 too which might share some sounds of your modules.

My Soundcloud doesn't have much interesting stuff on it yet, just some single-synth droney soundscapes...want to have some multi-gear compositional pieces up soon.

Cheers for sharing, mate.
dhollmusik

Return to Synth Shootouts