For first analog synth, Moog Prodigy Or Moog Source?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: For first analog synth, Moog Prodigy Or Moog Source?

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:02 am

silikon wrote:If you're staying within relatively inexpensive vintage moog mono, (relative to a minimoog, for example) then Micromoog..

Oh, my GOD, absolutely. THIS.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Advertisement:

Postby sam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Go for the prodigy even if it's not your first synth....Such a nice sweet synth..
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.CS30.Roland SH-5..Vp330 mk1.system 101.SH101.Jupiter 8.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Jupiter 4 .Andromeda. OBX.OB-1.
Prophet vs. Pro-one. Wasp.EMS VCS3
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby iProg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm

I can highly recommend the Prodigy. So easy to create sounds with! And recreate them...
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Postby philip » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Prodigy
philip

Postby maxwellravitz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:38 am

I would also have to say the prodigy. Not only does it have dedicated knobs for every parameter, but you won't have to deal with the source's membrane button maintenance. Sound-wise, I have to say the two are extremely simliar, but not exactly the same. Programming is where the two deviate. When programming the source, you have to hit a button then turn the single knob, so you can't change multiple parameters at once. The only thing the source has over the prodigy is patch memory. After owning a prodigy for awhile, I would have to say they're really good for learning subtractive synthesis, and a lack of patch memory forces you to learn the nuances of the controls much better.
maxwellravitz

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts