DSI Evolver vs. Ensoniq Fizmo

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: DSI Evolver vs. Ensoniq Fizmo

Postby GuyaGuy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The Evolver wave sequencing isn't really like a wavetable because you can't morph through them with the envelope or anything, you need to have the sequencer running (it can be in the each note triggers a step mode so you don't have to be running from the sequencer, you can have the sequencer follow the keyboard) and it will select a new wave for each step. It's all in the manual. :thumbleft:

The unofficial Definitive Guide also explains some of the fiddly bits that the manual breezes through. It's on this site along with a chart of the waveforms and other nice Evolver bits n bobs: http://www.carbon111.com/evolver.html
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Advertisement:

Postby talynidmbloop » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:02 am

DLovas wrote:I've got like 1000$ and evolvers are all over the place for around 700 and a Fizmo is rare and like 1000. Which should I go for?

tough, they are different beasts. If you need some analog oomph, the evolver, the fizmo is just one of those timeless synths, but then again the dsi will be. I currently own both, the dsi is up for sale, and the fizmo might be,

Here is my honest opinion: DSI does more, BUT, the fizmo is going to be one of the few digital synths that will be like an analog legend, it will just gaIn in value, no matter when you sell you'll make money, it will always be a bit of history, deystroyed by creative labs, not the market, or ensoniq, but when creative purchased emu and ensoniiq, they scrapped everything ensoniq did, because they needed their chip making plant. I still hate creative labs for deystroying one of america's great synth companies.i

anyway, I have tried and tried, but I have never been able to reproduce the fizmo sound, I just can't.

If you are looking at the DSI you might be in the same boat I am. That boat being, I want complex evolving wonderfull sound, BUT I NEED analog and digital. The fizmo makes the digital section of the DSI seeem boring, and the funny thing is, the DSI digital section is pretty damn good, however, even though you can get dirty deep growly even some warmth from the fizmo, you can not match the analog section of the DSI.
THe DSI gets underrated values for it's analog section, there are tooo many moogish brainwashies out there, if you can't get ur creamy warm punchy warbly dubstep, funky, chill, mellow bass out of the DSI, then it is a programming fault, or you have the ears of a dog on crack, even then I still think it's hype haveing tried all three side by side.,

If you havae about $1000 and you need analog, you have to take the DSI, no choice.
If you call up the folks at analoghaven,com and ask for the cheapest way to get analog sound, can wait a lil and raise say $400, pick up the fizmo, and an analog source.

In fact here would be my perfect solution, because it sounds like you are a tweaker who likes lots of creative routing almost endless in their synths, ahem:

If you havae the money, buy the fizmo, and then go to GERMAN ebay, and buy a used waldorf pulse(the routing in the pulse is enough to last a lifetime of exploration, and it has the three necessary analog VCO's.

So pulse+fizmo=endless sound explorations
DSI= almost endless sound exploration, I mean, as far as a synth with both digital and analog, it's the only one I know of besides modulars, and it is the best.

You are not going to be unhappy with either choice, either way you are going to have years of sonic non boredom, and further than that tools you can have tools you can use to create yet unheard of sounds.

Tough choice, I still vote for a waldorf pulse + a fizmo, if constrained by budget, you will in no way be unhappy with a DSI.

Good taste mate!, both special synths, The DSI deserves all hype it gets, and fizmo deserves none of the crap it takes.

Save your money buy a pacarana, and be done with buying for the rest of your life :)))))

I do own both a DSI poly rack(with editing software and a midi controller it's sorta like a vsti TI2 type of thing), and a keyboard fizmo, both of which are KIND of up for sale, depends on price, but After this huge message I don''t think you can go wrong with either choice, they are my two favorite non pacarana synths in the whole world, and can sound mean as hell or as ethereal as the heavens. The analog thing is a plus that is sadly truely real that the DSI can do great that the fizmo just can't, you'd have to add some form of analog if you needed it, if you did indeed go with the fizmo.

And I would probably at this point due to health, sell my fizmo for $1000 even though it'll be worth more than that in a couple years....lol I might not be around by then though.
Good luck I hope that rant of a message made some sense.
talynidmbloop

Postby DLovas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:06 am

talynidmbloop wrote:
DLovas wrote:I've got like 1000$ and evolvers are all over the place for around 700 and a Fizmo is rare and like 1000. Which should I go for?

tough, they are different beasts. If you need some analog oomph, the evolver, the fizmo is just one of those timeless synths, but then again the dsi will be. I currently own both, the dsi is up for sale, and the fizmo might be,

Here is my honest opinion: DSI does more, BUT, the fizmo is going to be one of the few digital synths that will be like an analog legend, it will just gaIn in value, no matter when you sell you'll make money, it will always be a bit of history, deystroyed by creative labs, not the market, or ensoniq, but when creative purchased emu and ensoniiq, they scrapped everything ensoniq did, because they needed their chip making plant. I still hate creative labs for deystroying one of america's great synth companies.i

anyway, I have tried and tried, but I have never been able to reproduce the fizmo sound, I just can't.

If you are looking at the DSI you might be in the same boat I am. That boat being, I want complex evolving wonderfull sound, BUT I NEED analog and digital. The fizmo makes the digital section of the DSI seeem boring, and the funny thing is, the DSI digital section is pretty damn good, however, even though you can get dirty deep growly even some warmth from the fizmo, you can not match the analog section of the DSI.
THe DSI gets underrated values for it's analog section, there are tooo many moogish brainwashies out there, if you can't get ur creamy warm punchy warbly dubstep, funky, chill, mellow bass out of the DSI, then it is a programming fault, or you have the ears of a dog on crack, even then I still think it's hype haveing tried all three side by side.,

If you havae about $1000 and you need analog, you have to take the DSI, no choice.
If you call up the folks at analoghaven,com and ask for the cheapest way to get analog sound, can wait a lil and raise say $400, pick up the fizmo, and an analog source.

In fact here would be my perfect solution, because it sounds like you are a tweaker who likes lots of creative routing almost endless in their synths, ahem:

If you havae the money, buy the fizmo, and then go to GERMAN ebay, and buy a used waldorf pulse(the routing in the pulse is enough to last a lifetime of exploration, and it has the three necessary analog VCO's.

DSI= almost endless sound exploration, I mean, as far as a synth with both digital and analog, it's the only one I know of besides modulars, and it is the best.

You are not going to be unhappy with either choice, either way you are going to have years of sonic non boredom, and further than that tools you can have tools you can use to create yet unheard of sounds.

Tough choice, I still vote for a waldorf pulse + a fizmo, if constrained by budget, you will in no way be unhappy with a DSI.

Good taste mate!, both special synths, The DSI deserves all hype it gets, and fizmo deserves none of the crap it takes.

Save your money buy a pacarana, and be done with buying for the rest of your life :)))))

I do own both a DSI poly rack(with editing software and a midi controller it's sorta like a vsti TI2 type of thing), and a keyboard fizmo, both of which are KIND of up for sale, depends on price, but After this huge message I don''t think you can go wrong with either choice, they are my two favorite non pacarana synths in the whole world, and can sound mean as hell or as ethereal as the heavens. The analog thing is a plus that is sadly truely real that the DSI can do great that the fizmo just can't, you'd have to add some form of analog if you needed it, if you did indeed go with the fizmo.

And I would probably at this point due to health, sell my fizmo for $1000 even though it'll be worth more than that in a couple years....lol I might not be around by then though.

Excellent advice! Thanks for replying. I've already purchased the Fizmo and currently waiting for it to ship but I think for my next purchase I will strongly consider the pulse (I am quite the knob tweaker)
Hardware: Ensoniq Fizmo | Roland JP-8000
Software: FL Studio | Zebra2 | Sylenth1
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: RED MIDI Cables
BLUE MIDI Cables
Band: RingGalaxy

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:15 am

DLovas wrote:(I am quite the knob tweaker)

Do Americans really not understand what that sounds like? Reminds me of this:

Watch on youtube.com
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 am

Its therapy by analogy.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby DLovas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:51 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
DLovas wrote:(I am quite the knob tweaker)

Do Americans really not understand what that sounds like? Reminds me of this:

Watch on youtube.com

Hahaha sounds that had huh?

While we're on the topic - I was always under the impression you too were American - where are you from our of curiosity
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

BLUE MIDI Cables

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:12 am

Australia.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby DLovas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:31 am

talynidmbloop wrote:

in fact - just bid on a pulse right now - hopefully ill win
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

BLUE MIDI Cables

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts