Roland V-Synth vs Jupiter 8

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Roland V-Synth vs Jupiter 8

Postby Barely » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:28 am

Funny nobody started this shootout before :)

I heard a lot of people saying the V-synth can nail down most Jupiter 8 - sounds.
Sure, it's a totally different synth, but to me it sure sounds quite vintage-rolandish, if you keep it simple and use the VA part only. (i got some Junos here, as well, so I can compare a little).
The filter sounds more aggressive, especially when open, and there is some aliasing, but still, can anyone who happens to have BOTH compare them? And please, no digital vs real analog discussion, I have both and can hear the difference (most of the time) :mrgreen:
Shoot! :)
Barely

Advertisement:

Re: Roland V-Synth vs Jupiter 8

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:43 pm

The Jupiter 8 has no sampler, not built in effects, no mod sequencer, no midi, no D-Beam, no time trip pad, a much more limited architecture, only one LFO as opposed to one LFO for pretty much every parameter.

The V-Synth doesn't have rainbow buttons and doesn't sound like a Jupiter 8.

I own a V-Synth and wouldn't say it can nail the sound of a Jupiter 8. If you just want a V-Synth for the VA section you might as well get an SH-201, it's pretty much the same thing.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby n3wt15 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:57 pm

I had a v-synth quite a while back, and now I own a jupiter 8. Never had them together, but from what i remember making on the v-synth didnt sound anything like what I make on the jupiter 8.
I may get flamed for this, but i am currently trying to sell my jupiter 8 to get some different things in my studio, and a v-synth is one of the top on my list. Its sonic pallet is so flexible and I dont know why i sold mine off in the first place....oh wait, student loans.
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Postby Solderman » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:29 pm

No flames here. I sold my JP8 after owning it for less than 3 years. No doubt it sounds gorgeous, especially strings. Just lots of sweet spots and punch. But it was too large for the studio and was having maintenance issues, and it being a performance synth, was not really right for a programmer and patcher person like me. I can't comment about the V-Synth, but I think Stab nailed it.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), ESQ1, Virus b

Postby Barely » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The Jupiter 8 has no sampler, not built in effects, no mod sequencer, no midi, no D-Beam, no time trip pad, a much more limited architecture, only one LFO as opposed to one LFO for pretty much every parameter.

I own a V-Synth and wouldn't say it can nail the sound of a Jupiter 8. If you just want a V-Synth for the VA section you might as well get an SH-201, it's pretty much the same thing.

Aw crap, but I need those rainbow buttons :)
The Sh-201 gets pretty bashed for how bad it is - but I don't find the V-synth VA bad at all - ok, Aliasing is bad, and it tends to get steppy when I play at high polyphony, but soundwise- hits all the right spots, I'd say.
Thanks for your input, anyway :)
Barely

Postby madtheory » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:you might as well get an SH-201, it's pretty much the same thing.

AFAIK the V Synth has a lot more modulation options (all the LFOs as you mentioned) and better effects... never did a side by side comparison so it's possible they're the same VA model! I generally use the Novation K Station for VA stuff, and use the V Synth for, well, samply stuff! And D 50.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby _seph » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:18 pm

I agree with everything that Stab said and have a short story to share ~ My first synth was a JP-8000 (which was soon followed by a Prophecy) and after not quite two years I came across a killer deal on a few vintage analogs locally and then decided that only true analog was the way to go. This lasted for quite a while and it was the purchase of a Juno 60 and Jupiter 6 that snapped me out of it. I found that each time I sat down at either I just kept being reminded of my old JP-8000, except that the JP was capable of so much more. Anyway, my current gear list shows what I decided on that. Oddly, I have yet to directly compare similar patches on the V-Synth and JP-8080, but that isn't what I use my V-Synth for. I have never owned a Jupiter 8, but a friend did and it definitely has its own sound that none of the synths I've mentioned can faithfully duplicate, but its potential of being a pain in the ass is relative to its size, which is great. It's one of the many classics that I will happily leave to the collectors.
_seph

Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Postby cornutt » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:36 am

Two completely different beasts IMO. Yes, the V-Synth has VA features, but mimicking vintage analog synths isn't really what they are there for. I have yet to do a patch on my V-Synth where I used the VA without either combining it with samples or modulating it in some non-traditional way.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:51 pm

madtheory wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:you might as well get an SH-201, it's pretty much the same thing.

AFAIK the V Synth has a lot more modulation options (all the LFOs as you mentioned) and better effects... never did a side by side comparison so it's possible they're the same VA model!

Ah yes, I was referring to sound character rather than architecture. Didn't think modulation would matter all that much to someone considering a Jupiter 8. :D

Barely wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:The Jupiter 8 has no sampler, not built in effects, no mod sequencer, no midi, no D-Beam, no time trip pad, a much more limited architecture, only one LFO as opposed to one LFO for pretty much every parameter.

Aw crap, but I need those rainbow buttons :)
The Sh-201 gets pretty bashed for how bad it is - but I don't find the V-synth VA bad at all - ok, Aliasing is bad, and it tends to get steppy when I play at high polyphony, but soundwise- hits all the right spots, I'd say.
Thanks for your input, anyway :)

I think a lot of people speak ill of the SH-201 because they think that something called an SH-201 should be more like an SH-101 and because the 201 was marketed as a beginners synth and they want to distance themselves from that. That said it doesn't have all the great effects the V does which is where the V-Synth really shines, rather than just as a VA.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Pro5 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Can someone post some really great MUSICAL demos from the VSynth cos I've looked and all i can find is very weak sounding VA (My SY77 sounds warmer/thicker!!!) or lots of discordant sound mangling. I'm looking for that demo that makes me say "Yes I must have a V-Synth"

I do recall hearing one playing pads a while back that sounded like something off the Arcadia album (so red the rose) and that spiked my interest but I'm not sure if it was anything intrinsic to the V-Synth or just a bunch of samples that had been put into it. I don't really want a synth that leads me down a lot of sonically interesting avenues but no musical ones if you get me?

Am not bashing it, just wanted VS owners to point me in the right direction as to what it is they love about this machine that seems almost like a bunch of software doing some weird things in a box that looks pretty (and I do think it looks great as a master controller), but I don't want to feel it's another computer, I want an instrument with it's own character.?

(edit jan 2014 : I have now owned a V-synth for half a year :) and can safely say it is the best, deepest and most profound sound making machine I've ever owned. It is my favourite synth and I'd not swap it for a JP-8 unless to sell the JP-8 to buy another V-Synth and a trip to New York :D )
Last edited by Pro5 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby Barely » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Pro5 wrote:Can someone post some really great MUSICAL demos from the VSynth cos I've looked and all i can find is very weak sounding VA (My SY77 sounds warmer/thicker!!!) or lots of discordant sound mangling. I'm looking for that demo that makes me say "Yes I must have a V-Synth" (...)
Am not bashing it, just wanted VS owners to point me in the right direction as to what it is they love about this machine that seems almost like a bunch of software doing some weird things in a box that looks pretty (and I do think it looks great as a master controller), but I don't want to feel it's another computer, I want an instrument with it's own character.?

Well, it IS a bunch of software doing some weird things in a box that looks pretty :)
Apart from that, I haven't heard any internet demo that does the sound justice. It has a very massive, warm basic sound, at least as warm and thick as your SY77. It definitely sounds very positively Roland.

This one is pretty great, but youtube compression destroys it, the video lacks bottom end and top sizzle. Still, it's one of the sounds I would instantly recognize my V-synth from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZxLJrArdhs

Those are nice, though quite trancey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivWyANFp ... re=related

This one is newer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXXN9GEqEjM

And here are some presets from the V2 Version (original V-Synth with software update)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzRk1SeJ1Mk

Hope I could help a little...
After all, it's a matter of personal taste, I use it (and love it) a lot for traditional, massive sounds (nice arp!), as a sampler, as a Juno substitute, and as a general sound mayhem tool. If you do a lot of high resonance filter sweeps, it might sound to aggressive and virtual-Rolandish. Other than that (and the fact that the engine is so slow at times you can't do filter sweeps that don't sound like a comb rasping on a table. Which is a nice noise, if you want it there) :)
Barely

Postby Pro5 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks I'll check em out.

Yeah it sure is a 'bunch of software in a box' (with some very nice controllers stuck on). I'm trying to find what it gives me (if I'm not that into the 'elastic audio/variphrase' stuff) over modern quality VST from a sound/music POV (not just as a controller). I already have a very powerful box of chips (my PC ) that can run emulations of many synths, it can do sampling, some of the softies even appear to have 'better' filters and the real kicker, I don't ever have my PC degrading the sound/functionality based on it's workload (as it's obviously more than powerful enough compared to the stuff in the V-synth).

I think that loss of poly, stepping and various issues that crop up when you start pushing the V-synth would start to grate? no? and what about all that loading it does on start up (at least on the XT vid I saw) it would make me think 'I can load this stuff much much faster on my PC - especially if on SSD in near future - next upgrade)

And before anyone chimes in about the SY77 hardly being the posterboy for 'warm and thick' I was referring to it in comparison to a lot of virtual analog (hard and soft) I've heard, not to real analog. I found the SY77 had more weight and depth than my AN1x did, and I found the AN1x had more weight and depth than the JP-8000 did and if the V-Synth is near the JP-8000 on the VA I guess you lot are not raving about it for that facet but what it does as a whole, in combination with all it's other numerous posibilities.

And it's that quality I'm trying to have defined as so many people seem sketchy on what it is that makes the Vsynth a musically useful tool in the studio other than a sound mangler or a sort of advanced rompler. Live, I believe it's a useful synth for sampling other older gear (AS Nick Rhodes does) but guess I'm a bit unclear on where it sits in the spectrum of gear. It seems ill defined to me as to what it actually does and that's all I'm trying to find out from happy users. It also appears I could assemble my own ad-hoc 'virtual chameleon synth/sound mangler' from a bunch of VSTs that don't start dropping poly and are just going to get better and better given modern and future CPUs. The older synths I like because I like their character not because they are ultra flexible (though the SY77 manages to do a bit of both), then the software I use seems to cover a lot of what VS does - or even editing of my recorded synths in my DAW via time plugins and effects? hmm

thanks anyway, am not putting it down as said - am genuinely interested. I guess it's the kind of synth you have to own and see for yourself everything it can do before knowing if it's for you or not. A lot of the stuff I heard seems extremely 'digital'. Anyone think this is the modern day Fairlight? (not the same thing but another machine they came up and changed the game for sound mangling/ experimental sound within a self contained unit)
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby madtheory » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Didn't think modulation would matter all that much to someone considering a Jupiter 8. :D

:lol: Penny dropping :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Barely » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Pro5 wrote:Thanks I'll check em out.

Yeah it sure is a 'bunch of software in a box' (with some very nice controllers stuck on). I'm trying to find what it gives me (if I'm not that into the 'elastic audio/variphrase' stuff) over modern quality VST from a sound/music POV (not just as a controller). I already have a very powerful box of chips (my PC ) that can run emulations of many synths, it can do sampling, some of the softies even appear to have 'better' filters and the real kicker, I don't ever have my PC degrading the sound/functionality based on it's workload (as it's obviously more than powerful enough compared to the stuff in the V-synth).

I think that loss of poly, stepping and various issues that crop up when you start pushing the V-synth would start to grate? no? and what about all that loading it does on start up (at least on the XT vid I saw) it would make me think 'I can load this stuff much much faster on my PC - especially if on SSD in near future - next upgrade)

And before anyone chimes in about the SY77 hardly being the posterboy for 'warm and thick' I was referring to it in comparison to a lot of virtual analog (hard and soft) I've heard, not to real analog. I found the SY77 had more weight and depth than my AN1x did, and I found the AN1x had more weight and depth than the JP-8000 did and if the V-Synth is near the JP-8000 on the VA I guess you lot are not raving about it for that facet but what it does as a whole, in combination with all it's other numerous posibilities.

And it's that quality I'm trying to have defined as so many people seem sketchy on what it is that makes the Vsynth a musically useful tool in the studio other than a sound mangler or a sort of advanced rompler. Live, I believe it's a useful synth for sampling other older gear (AS Nick Rhodes does) but guess I'm a bit unclear on where it sits in the spectrum of gear. It seems ill defined to me as to what it actually does and that's all I'm trying to find out from happy users. It also appears I could assemble my own ad-hoc 'virtual chameleon synth/sound mangler' from a bunch of VSTs that don't start dropping poly and are just going to get better and better given modern and future CPUs. The older synths I like because I like their character not because they are ultra flexible (though the SY77 manages to do a bit of both), then the software I use seems to cover a lot of what VS does - or even editing of my recorded synths in my DAW via time plugins and effects? hmm

thanks anyway, am not putting it down as said - am genuinely interested. I guess it's the kind of synth you have to own and see for yourself everything it can do before knowing if it's for you or not. A lot of the stuff I heard seems extremely 'digital'. Anyone think this is the modern day Fairlight? (not the same thing but another machine they came up and changed the game for sound mangling/ experimental sound within a self contained unit)

The SY-77 is a great synth, no bashing here. Maybe the last great Yamaha ;)
If you don't like the JP-8000 ... well then the v-synth might have a hard time with you ;)
Well, on paper, you can do everything the v-synth does with soft synths. The question is: are you as inspired by a soft synth? I personally use a lot of softies as well, but now, on the verge of upgrading to OSx Lion, my excitement for soft synths came to a grinding halt. The soft synths I use are not even 4 years old, and now it says, Lion is not supported (or worse, they say nothing about it at all) :)
Back to the V-synth: It's more the sum of all things that makes this baby interesting.
Yes, you have to sit down and work with it to see if you like it.
I wouldn't call it a modern day Fairlight- it's more like a mix of a Wavestation and a PPG and a Juno (or j3-xp) and an Emulator. It is a lot of different beasts in one and opens up the sonic palette enormously. And it inspires, especially when you use it the way you shouldn't normally.
Oh, and according to the other guys here it doesn't sound like a Jupiter 8 ;)
Barely

Postby n3wt15 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:09 am

The v-synth to me was really great at making textures and really wild atmospheric sounds. Using the lfos and sequencer in combination with the dbeam and timetrip pad were just hours of fun and very inspiring to use.
I made a few OK leads and bass sounds with it, but it was't my "go to synth" for those kinds of things,
Id love to be able to keep my jupiter and pick up a v-synth XT, and run my jupiter with, and through the V-synth for even more complex textures.

I had a Jp8080 at one time years ago for a brief time, and never got all that inspired by using that.
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts