Korg Karma vs. Yamaha CS6X

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg Karma vs. Yamaha CS6X

Postby antonialb123 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Im buying my first professional Keyboard. I've played on the Fantoms, Motifs,Tritons,etc. but I really dont know much about these keyboards. I've done some research and they both seem pretty cool. I just need some opinions and if possible some stories.

Thanks,
Ant.
antonialb123

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Karma vs. Yamaha CS6X

Postby balma » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:23 pm

You could consider more options than these two ones.

The Karma is basically a Triton, with an arpeggiator section designed by stephen key.

A rompler wich has programmable knobs for the arp features, buttons to store chords, and it has some nice string sounds. 16 tracks linear sequencing.

About the fucking arppegiator, one of the most complicated and annoying arpeggiators I have used. It is a huge section, almost as big as all the rest of directories. It has "4 modules" wich are nothing else than tracks. There are around 1500 types of pre made sequences, wich can adopt multiple forms.

When you use the 4 modules, the synth becomes really slow. Several seconds to abandon or enter any screen, lots of menu diving makes the experience even more annoying.

The poly is 64, and it easily collapses with too much effects on the arp section.

Actually the arppegiator is a good idea, but with a terrible implementation inside a synth that seems to be not designed to manipulate it. You spend more time programming an arpeggio, than creating a whole sequence.

If you buy a Karma and you want to use the software editor, you must pay $30 to Stephen Key. Yes. Each time a karma changes of owner, you have to send a mail to this guy, and pay him royalties for installing his software on your computer.

I have used and owned lots of romplers and workstations, and the karma was one of the most boring and annoying experiences. CAN´T recommend it.

About the CS6X, don´t have too much information, I owned a Motif, EX5, W7 and SY99, but never used a CS6X.

Do you need specifically a rompler? One of the best ones with keyboard, is the MOTIF. IMO is the best one if you look into Fantom/Triton/Motif area. BTW I also had a Fantom (first version) and it goes second after the karma.... :D
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby antonialb123 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:54 am

Thanks a lot. The Karma is 500 and the Yamaha is 500 and I'm trying to debate on which one to get. I looked up demos of both of them and the Korg appears to have better quality. But I wish I had the money for one of those workstations. My favorite is the Fantom.
antonialb123

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:08 am

Stephen Kay's editor is NOT for editing the KARMA keyboard settings, it is for editing the KARMA patterns. The Karma keyboard has 1024 Karma patterns , each of which can have multiple 'scenes' within it- variations on the pattern. Running all four KARMA modules (arpeggiators, effectively) at the same time can slow down the unit's response to other controls. (If you have the KARMA editing software it can run another four modules...) The KARMA editor software is a lot more than $30, $30 is the fee to transfer the registration...

The KARMA can take Triton expansion ROMs, but cannot take the sample module. The MOSS expansion module for it often costs more than the keyboard.

The CS6x can take two expansion boards (the VL/AN/DX expansions that the Motif uses), and has a 4 mb 'phrase sampler'.

The KARMA has a 32 MB sample rom onboard (pretty much the stock triton samples but the combis are all different) while the ROM in the CS6x is half that.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby balma » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:38 am

Yes, it worths more than that, and the fee is $30, for the license to install it in YOUR computer.

This is the reply of Mr Key. I found this "fee stuff" quite annoying, or, dissapointing.
WTF I said, let the guy keep a license, and me keeping $30, I´ll get rid of this fucking synth.

If you and he want to ransfer the license from him to you, he must contact me and say so, and
then you must page a $29.95 License Transfer Fee. Details are below:

=========================================================================
The policy regarding transfer of ownership of KARMA MW or KARMA Triton
software (as of Sep 1, 2004) is as follows:
=========================================================================

1) There is a charge of $29.95 US to transfer ownership of the license. This
covers the work involved on our side to change records, provide
authorization codes, tech support in the future, future updates, etc.

2) The previous owner must send an e-mail to support@karma-lab.com stating
that they have sold the software and no longer intend to use it. They will
then no longer be eligible for free updates, upgrades, or authorization
codes.

3) To take advantage of this offer, the new owner needs the customer
registration number of the software, which the previous owner should be able
to supply you with (note: it is NOT the challenge/response code.) It is a
number that looks like "KMW-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" or "KTR-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX".
If this number is not available, we can generally look it up provided the
original owner contacts us according to step 2.
- Stephen

:roll:

You can look for a Yamaha EX5, wich blows the Karma on almost any aspect, Despite its buggy O.S and terrible user interface, and slow menu diving, is really a better option than Karma or CS6X.
It has one more octave, twice the poly. and is not only a rompler, but a virtual analog, and virtual acoustic synth. Plus a sampler (wich erases all samples when turned off, btw).
It´s around $500.

If you want the synth with a sequencer, Fantoms 16 tracks sequencer is cursor's navigation style, no direct access to tracks. Slow and awfuly designed. The effect section is quite nice and some good sounds... but the newer versions can go up to $500.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:05 pm

The Karma is a workstation, it has a multitrack sequencer. The CS6x is not a workstation, no sequencer (although it can play back Standard MIDI files, there is no recording or editing possible). That's a big difference ;)

Although I'm a Yamaha fan of the two I would choose the Karma. $500 is a good price for one, BTW.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby krzeppa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 pm

balma wrote:
Do you need specifically a rompler? One of the best ones with keyboard, is the MOTIF. IMO is the best one if you look into Fantom/Triton/Motif area. BTW I also had a Fantom (first version) and it goes second after the karma.... :D

+1....I still own the orginal Fantom, and the thing is pretty cumbersome to work with....I rarely use it, but my wife really likes it. I have an MO8, basically the Motif ES "Lite," and that sound way better than Fantom. I have to menu dive, but it is far easier to use than the Fantom. Have always tried to like the Triton, but for some reason never got into it. Oh, and the Kurzweils are pretty good sound too.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Accordion, Bag Pipes, Concertina, Banjo, and Wash Board
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby balma » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:09 pm

I had a Motif and a Fantom, first versions of both. Motif is 100 times better on almost any feature, specially when talking about emulating acoustic sounds like guitars or pianos. ADSR envelopes can be carefully sculpted, and the sequencing is far more simple on the Motif (despite its not so easy).
I sold the Motif and kept the EX5, mostly for the VL engine. Virtual acoustic synthes is rare these days. Most realistic stuff I have used to emulate acoustic instruments.
Carl Sagan

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to Synth Shootouts