4k to spend : modcan, animoo, macbeth, cs-30, sh-5, a6 ...?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: 4k to spend : modcan, animoo, macbeth, cs-30, sh-5, a6 .

Postby space6oy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:54 pm

i don't have one & would love to acquire four grand...
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Advertisement:

Postby balma » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:59 pm

I would spend that money on the Andromeda Sir.

Cons: you could spend the rest of your life using it that you will never get enough from it.
Most amazing synthesizer I have ever played. Andromeda is pure poetry. Huge polyphony for an analog, awesome filters, the envelopes are really high detailed, not lazy at all, and a huge matrix modulation. Also loved the analog distortion. Is so complex, it´s almost all the things I would like to have on a single machine.

Get the Andromeda.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Mac Moog » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 am

I agree. From what you describe. The Andromeda will most certainly do it, with no problems at all.
Mac Moog

Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 pm

I'd also consider the new buchla music easel or the make noise shared system for $4k. If you're interested in something modular but don't want to spend ages working out a system in rack planner.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby calaverasgrande » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Gotta say, the Modcan stuff is the kind of modular that always makes me want to buy it after I try it out in store. It's labeled clearly and does what it says it does very well. This is in opposition to a lot of contemporary modular which is labeled very obscurely, and don't always do what they say they do beyond a narrow range.

Modcan also seems to be building systems approach modules. Not 'most bang for your buck' one offs like a lot of other brands.
If I had $4k earmarked just for synths I'd look at the aluminum Voyager for a moment, then I'd probably buy a bunch of Modcan (with a few Malekko and Doepfer thrown in).
Macbeth is up there too, but golly gee, $4k doesn't get you much from Macbeth.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:04 pm

I'd get a Moog sub37 an Elektron A4 and keep the vintage synths you have that have CV and sequence them on that. Both of those synths are verging on modular with their capabilities. With the money left get something to glue your sounds together like a stereo effects unit. Culture vulture or something else by thermionic would be a good bet on Giving you a great warm vibe.
zoomtheline
Expert Member
Expert Member

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts