4k to spend : modcan, animoo, macbeth, cs-30, sh-5, a6 ...?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

4k to spend : modcan, animoo, macbeth, cs-30, sh-5, a6 ...?

Postby Scories » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 am

I've bought a few analog synths over the past months, but I feel like I'm still looking for a very flexible genuinly vintage sounding synth that could be so inspiring and musical that I could start to reduce my setup as much as possible. I currently own : Micromoog, SEM, JX-3P, SH-101, SH-1000, Minikorg 700, Microwave XT, Korg Z1, and I love all these synths.... but I can't help but feeling that it's way too much for just two hands.

I generally prefer slow morphing/shifting sounds that sounds concrete. From all the synths I've heard on youtube, my favourite tone seems to be the ARP 2500 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLj7T03_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAraeIcl ... re=related

But since it's impossible for me to track one, here's a few options :

Modcan
Pros : Amazing sound, quality and musicality.
Cons : Seems to be labelled bigger is better so it can get very, very costy.

Serge Animoo
Pros : I really like the idea of an optimal architecture that seems to be geater than the sum of its part and that forces you to think differently.
Cons : From what I heard, I fear that it might be hard to escape from piercing sounds and noodlings that are not necessarily musical.

Macbeth X-series modular
Pro : The online demos are among the best sounding I've heard; vintage sounding, very warm and raw.
Con : Might not be as flexible as a serge/modcan for a 4k setup.

Yamaha CS-15/30
Pros : Cheap and surprisingly flexible synths.
Cons : Hard to escape the tame sound.

Roland Sh-5
Pros : Cool vintage synth with dual filtering, ring mod and good routing options.
Cons : Needs maintenance, not as flexible as the other 4k options.

Alesis Andromeda A6
Pros : Multitimbral, polyphonic, dual filtering, saved patches...
Cons : Maybe not THE best tone around. Lazy envelopes apparently.

So, any recommendations ??
Thank you vey much!
Scories

Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Advertisement:

Re: 4k to spend : modcan, animoo, macbeth, cs-30, sh-5, a6 .

Postby space6oy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:49 am

what's your address? i'll bring my 2500 over to let you try it out.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby Scories » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:00 am

:shock: I knew you had tons of pedals, but I didn't know that you had this monster synth!
Must be a pleasure to work with...

However, I have to mention that I live quite far from the Ohio...
Scories

Postby pflosi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:41 am

Scories wrote:Alesis Andromeda A6
[...]
Cons : [...] Lazy envelopes apparently.

Bah, Internet rumours. These envs are anything but lazy, if you cannot get them to click and pop and whatnot it's definitely not the synth's fault. I guess people claiming this don't even know about changing the env slopes, let alone the engine optimizer...

As far as your original question, I guess it would be a good idea if you decided what you want first - mono vs. poly, fixed vs. modular, etc. All the synths you listed sound great and must be huge fun...
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Scories » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:52 am

pflosi wrote:
[...]

Bah, Internet rumours. These envs are anything but lazy, if you cannot get them to click and pop and whatnot it's definitely not the synth's fault. I guess people claiming this don't even know about changing the env slopes, let alone the engine optimizer...

As far as your original question, I guess it would be a good idea if you decided what you want first - mono vs. poly, fixed vs. modular, etc. All the synths you listed sound great and must be huge fun...

I think there was many versions of the A6 regarding th ENV. A friend of mine who happens to be a very talented keyboardist has been very deceived by this aspect. But some others don't care much.

You are right. Maybe I should get more specific. I'm thinking about a mix of elements.

Maybe Macbeth oscillators + Modcan filters/processors + Serge logics

But I have no experience in building a modular setup. And maybe I'm on the wrong forum for these specific questions...
Scories

Postby pflosi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:06 am

Scories wrote:
pflosi wrote:
[...]

I think there was many versions of the A6 regarding th ENV. A friend of mine who happens to be a very talented keyboardist has been very deceived by this aspect. But some others don't care much.

Well, yeah, you need the latest software... But that's not a problem at all. There are no different 'versions' regarding the envs, there's only the latest software update - they are 100% digital. Also, being a good keyboardist does not necessarily correlate with being a good synth programmer...

Scories wrote:You are right. Maybe I should get more specific. I'm thinking about a mix of elements.

Maybe Macbeth oscillators + Modcan filters/processors + Serge logics

Are you aware that these are three different formats...?
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Scories » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 pm

pflosi wrote:Also, being a good keyboardist does not necessarily correlate with being a good synth programmer...

Sure, but certainly not in this case. And good players often prefers super reactive synths... anyway.

I should get more info about the modules. The ones I saw at least has the banana inputs.. But ther's other factors I have to check.

Thanks.
Scories

Postby OntarioHydro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm

If you can find a 2600 for $4000 go for that. this is highly unlikely but still within the realm of possibilities.

If you can find one an for cheap the Octave Cat will give you a flexible Arp like sound.

If I were you for 4k I would go for an Octave Cat and Jupiter 6 and spend whatever is left on a nice effect unit, maybe a space echo or an eventide or something. If you can't find a Cat go for a Pro-One. Arp odyssey is another good choice.

I found the Sh-5 to be a little underwhelming, I wouldn't pay over say $2200 for one. It's a nice synth but lacks a bit in that in-your-face extremeness that many of us associate with the 70's analog sound.

4k doesn't go all that far in modular.. the companies you're interested in are on the expensive side of an already expensive product. I'm sure you could put together a decent little modcan system for that much though.
OntarioHydro

Gear: Oberheim matrix, Pro-one, Nordwave, TX-802. MS-20
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Kind of hard to know what you want, or what to recommend when you've already got some great synths and are debating between vintage monos, modulars and modern analog polys...

Anyway, you look like you've already got a plethora of vintage monos, so maybe ditch a few of them and go modular? If you're still leaning towards more vintage, the CS-30 can hardly be described as "tame". It's basically a CS-15 on steroids and can get pretty gnarly with both cross-mod and ring-mod, as well as an audio-rate LFO. The SH-5 is also pretty awesome, but the main filter (not the band-pass) is pretty weak imho.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Scories » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

I've included the A6 because I have an opportunity to get one and it has modular-like options.

Otherwise, I'd like to get an optimal self-contained open architecture like an Animoo that could be warm as a MacBeth, complex and musical as a Modcan and able to do concrete tones as the 2500.

In other words, I am tempted by the Animoo, but don't want to do dentist drill music.

I'll keep an eye on the cs-30. I think I would have bought one if they weren't so HUGE. My studio is already full and I'm trying to downsize a little.. but who knows!

Btw, thanks for all the replies and wise words.
Scories

Postby Z » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:52 pm

John Bowen Solaris

Oh, from the list: Alesis A6.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby cgren72 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 pm

space6oy wrote:what's your address? i'll bring my 2500 over to let you try it out.

hardass ;) i bet that sounds really intence
cgren72

Postby pflosi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Under these circumstances, I'm with Z: what you want is an A6 :D

Your keyboardist buddie should really dive into the A6 if he actually knows how to program, but doesn't like the envs (if that's the one you could buy, don't tell him obviously); or, if he hasn't, he should install the latest firmware (IIRC the 1.40.13 beta is the latest - unofficial - update that improves the envs). The learning curve is steep on this synth, but it's well worth it.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby space6oy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:09 pm

:lol: i don't have one, was sarcastically plotting a robbery. :thumbright:
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby Scories » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:19 pm

space6oy wrote::lol: i don't have one, was sarcastically plotting a robbery. :thumbright:

Oh I see. But anyone who owns a 2500 should not suffer from gear acquisition syndrome.
Scories

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts